Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-14-2016, 04:02 AM

zhasan is on a distinguished road
Smile Zee's 180 Gallon Reef Build

Hi All,

Finally starting on the new build of my 180 Gallon Starfire tank.

I had to tear down my 65 Gallon Elos Reef tank in 2014 due to a move because of work.

Now I've setteled in the new place and its time to get back to the dark side. This will be a slow build as I put it all together one piece at a time. My remote location is also a limiting factor as things are not close by.

I bought a used setup last weekend from Calgary. Its a 180 gallon starfire tank build by Concepts in Calgary.

I'll be using most of my equipment from my previous build and will also be taking advantage of the boxing day to scoop up some major pieces of the puzzle.

Time for pics...

This is the only pic i took of the trip... we tied the stand on the roof and the tank and sump made it in the back of the truck. The tank was HEAVY... wasn't easy to get it in the truck.

Standard steel stand - Got some sand paper and started to sand the paint and a little bit of rust off. Planning on painting it RED. Lots a black stands around... I'm thinking red stand with white painted plywood cover along with Vertex equipment will look spiffy.

Here is the tank. Its very dirty and needs a MAJOR cleaning.

Dimensions are 72x24x24

Here is the sump. Its a 3 Chamber sump. I'm contemplating adding a baffle in the middle chamber to add a refugium to the setup.

Thats it for now... will keep you all posted on the progress. Looking forward to learning from your ideas and enjoy setting this reef up.

Thanks,

Zee
Old 12-14-2016, 04:13 AM

Tank Location:

So I have a basement in my house and I'm looking to keep the tank on the main floor in the dining area. It'll be right next to an exterior wall so I'm thinking that it'll be enough support as it is certainly a load bearing wall of the home. The hone is only 3 years old so that gives me confidence that I will not have weight related issues.

Any thoughts on the planned tank location?
Old 12-14-2016, 02:01 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

Congrats! Always an exciting feeling getting new kit I'd still take a look at what's in the floor underneath. New homes aren't necessarily built as good/better than the old ones lol! I wouldn't think you have much to worry about but an extra post and cross brace might not be the worst idea if you have doubts.

I think the red would look sweet!
Old 12-17-2016, 09:40 PM

GQsmooth is on a distinguished road

Just make sure your tank is perpendicular to the floor joists. I am building the same kind of setup with a 220G on the main floor.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythanith View Post
Congrats! Always an exciting feeling getting new kit I'd still take a look at what's in the floor underneath. New homes aren't necessarily built as good/better than the old ones lol! I wouldn't think you have much to worry about but an extra post and cross brace might not be the worst idea if you have doubts.

I think the red would look sweet!
Exciting it is indeed!

I'm not sure if I'm concerned or just overthinking it. Underneath the tank location is a bedroom. Putting an extra post or extra bracing is not a simple task in this case. The concrete walls are right below where the tank is going and the main joist holding the back wall of the house is just to the right of the tank location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQsmooth View Post
Just make sure your tank is perpendicular to the floor joists. I am building the same kind of setup with a 220G on the main floor.
Based on what I can see in the furnace room in the basement, the floor joists are running parallel to the tank. I'm thinking that because the tank is going next to two exterior walls,the floor should have ample strength to hold the weight.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:58 AM

Default Plumbing

Looking for some thoughts and suggestions on the plumbing.

The tank currently has two drilled holes in the return area. One is a 2 inch drain and the other is a 1.5 inch return. I've been thinking about having the possibility of the main drain blockage and what are some of my precautionary options if that we're to happen. Anyone has any thoughts? I'll be putting a strainer on the return to a kind things getting stuck in the pipe.

For plumbing I wanted to get the red pvc pipe but it seems like it'll cost quite a bit to get that delivered to me so I'm thinking of buying regular white pvc pipe from home hardware and then painting it with krylon paint. Quiestion is, if the pipe is submerged in the water for example the drain pipe going in the filter sock or the rerun pipe coming out of the internal return pump, will it have negative impacts on the water quality?
Old 12-22-2016, 04:22 PM

warriorcookie is on a distinguished road

For sure look into bean animal or herbie style drain.

My first tank was a single durso and it drove me bananas.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorcookie View Post
For sure look into bean animal or herbie style drain.

My first tank was a single durso and it drove me bananas.
Going with either one would mean I have to drill more holes of which I'm not a big fan of ATM.

Right now I guess I'm just looking at ways of making it as clog safe as possible. Just doesn't want the saltwater overflowing over top of the tank.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:05 AM

Default SKIMMER AND RETURN PUMP

SKIMMER

Hi all, having a hard time deciding on which skimmer to buy.

I have been thinking about the Vertex Skimmers, 180i and 200i specifically.

180i is rated for 180 gallons while the 200i is rated for 220 gallon. The price difference is about 200 bucks between the two models. Does anyone have experience here with either of these models.

I'm leaning towards the 200i because I intent to have a heavy bio load with lots of fish. However, I don't know if dishing out the extra $200 is worth it. Will the 180i be able to manage the bio load all by itself?

I was also checking out the Bubble Magus and the Reef Octopus product lines. Looking at the Curve 9 from BM, its rated for 225 - 375 gallons. Thats a lot of gallons for not a lot of bucks. Any thoughts on these? Are they similar to the Vertex line or is that more of an apple to orange comparison?

RETURN PUMP

Looking at the Ecotech Vectra return pump. Read some reviews and it seems like this is the way to go for me as I'm a fan of ecotech vortech pumps for movement in the tank and potential linkage of these along with lighting is the direction I see my reef going.

The only model I see for sale is the M1. I have not been able to find the L1 pump anywhere on a Canadian retailer's website. Is the L1 only sold in the US?
Old 12-27-2016, 07:42 PM

Default Santa will be coming soon!!

Order is placed.... Santa will be arriving 1st week of Jan.

"I'm so excited" is now officially an understatement.

Tags
180, reef, starfire