Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-15-2010, 05:32 AM

steveg is on a distinguished road
Default Steveg's Office wall tank

Hi there, I have finally plucked up the courage to show off my little project. Hopefully nobody will fall asleep while viewing this thread!!!!

We decided to develop our basement and suddenly all sorts of thoughts started to magically appear in my head(tanks, tanks, tanks).

I work from home and the general idea was to put a big TV/play room in the basement as well as an office so that I could hide away while working. It struck me that it would be nice to have a view in the office and I started putting ideas down on paper.

Finally after receiving the appropriate planning permission from the relevant authorities i.e. calgary city, wife etc the work commenced.

The idea was to create a tank that was visible from both the office as well as the tv room. Plans were drawn up and the framing began:

The long support was made of 3 x (6x2") nailed together so that there was complete open access to the sump etc from the office side.

The TV side was simply made of 2x4" with a 12" gap:

Dimensions for the tank are 84" long x 18" wide by 22" deep. The 2 viewing panels are made of starphire glass. The bottom is 3/4" thick as there will be 5 holes for the closed loop with OM4. The tank is eurobraced.