Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-06-2010, 06:02 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road
Default 290G Peninsula Tank

Okay...so now that I have your attention...

This build thread has been a long time coming. Unfortunately, it's going to go pretty slowly so hopefully I can keep everyone's attention long enough to get this tank built.

For the last 10 months or so I've been trying to get started on a new house but every conceivable obstacle seemed to rise and stop us from getting anywhere. Thankfully, things appear to have started moving and I just signed off on the building permits yesterday so we've officially started spending our hard earned money.

The plan for this tank is a 84"l x 32"d x 24"h three sided Starfire peninsula tank. By my figures, this works out to about 280G. The plan also includes an external overflow 28" along the side of the peninsula buried in the cabinet work. I will be using the Bean Animal Overflow (if you don't know this one, I will put up a link further into the build).

Right now I haven't decided on who will be building the tank as the two builders I was considering the most have both closed their doors. Several people have PM'd me with new suggestions and so I have to explore some price quotes with these vendors.

The house will be a basement level entry and so the display will be on the main floor and I will have an 8 1/2 by 14' fish room on the ground level. My sump, fuge and future frag tank will all reside in the fish room. Along with these will be a laundry tub, RODI, FW storage and SW mixing tanks.

I've been gathering stuff for this over the last year and so far I've got the return pump (3600 Reeflow Blackfin), 2 x 6105 Tunzes along with the 7096 controller and an MP40W. I've also got various plumbing supplies, etc when they've been on sale.

My current 70g will end up migrating most if not all it's contents and inhabitants into the new display. Unfortunately, I've got a little problem with mushrooms in the 70 and I've yet to decide how to make sure they never enter the new tank.

Anyways, there's no doubt this will be a huge undertaking for me and I'm going to need a lot of help from everyone in order to make this work out right. Hopefully I've learned enough from this forum that the mistakes I make (and I'm sure I'll make some) will be small enough to get through without blowing too much extra dough. My better half has been very understanding about my need to build a house around my fish tank. Roughly translated, that "understanding" means we've established a budget together and if I know what's good for me, I'll need to stick to it.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.

Last edited by mseepman; 04-18-2010 at 03:58 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:19 PM

andestang is on a distinguished road

This sound like its going to be a nice build. I have very simular hopes of building something simular. I like the peninsula style tank for the veiwing purposes of being able to have full veiw of both length side glass panels. Came across the beananimal overflow awhile back, it does sound like a great set-up. What are you thinking for your lighting ?

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:41 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 280G Peninsula Tank

Sweet! It's about time !! you've been dropping hints about this tank for a while :-). Looking forward to seeing it come together!
Old 03-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Gold Member

For lighting I'm going to be putting together a light rack very much like one done by Glassreef on RC. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...6#post13477526

In the end I should have 3 x 250W MH with large Lumenbright reflectors as well as 8 x T5HO lights for actinic and accent lighting. I will also incorporate some moonlights though I haven't decided which ones or how.

My biggest concerns so far are how I will lift the light up and out of my way when I need to get into the tank. The canopy will be cabinetwork all the way to the ceiling. I haven't figured out what it will look like yet but I think it should match our kitchen cabinets.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:07 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Lookin forward to this build, I'm running a 170 Peninsula so a 280 is next on the list!
Old 03-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Wow!

Now this will be a tank Journal.

Can't wait to see this Mark. I will definetly have to come up to Vernon to see this one. On second thought, maybe I better not... ... might make me want one this size too.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:54 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
Wow!

Now this will be a tank Journal.

Can't wait to see this Mark. I will definetly have to come up to Vernon to see this one. On second thought, maybe I better not... ... might make me want one this size too.
Haha, I don't doubt that this is not your last upgrade Leah. I'm hoping that I might be able to come see your tank next weekend since my sister-in-law should be popping (having her first baby) sometime between now and then in Penticton. No guarantees though as I'm not sure what my wife will think of me deserting the "event" to go oogle your new fish tank (is oogle a real word?)

Old 03-07-2010, 01:06 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Wheres the pics.....Aww I lost interest LMAO

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 03-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
Wheres the pics.....Aww I lost interest LMAO
Haha...would this be called a self fulfilling prophesy?

Old 03-07-2010, 03:42 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

LOL, Pretty much.

Umm, a tank or 5