Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-13-2019, 03:45 AM

Mork is on a distinguished road
Default Success with tap water

I’m just getting back into the planning stages of a new tank - and the logistics of using an RO/DI unit in my new place is rather challenging.

I’m curious about how many of you in the GVRD are using just tap water with success in your tanks. Can it be done without issues with algae? And furthermore, can it be used in an SPS dominated tank with good results?
Old 12-13-2019, 04:54 PM

Mitch85 is on a distinguished road

Hey, I am not the most experienced reefer but I do run an sps dominant tank. Sps are very $$$ I would either buy rodi water from jl or find a way to make rodi work.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:40 AM

LifeIsGreat is on a distinguished road

I used tap water in the southern Saskatchewan area and got mega hair algae. Now I use a 4 stage RO filter for my drinking water and reef water. Works pretty good. I have some hair algae, but so little that I can't tell if it is from the water or from food/critter waste. I also don't run any filters other than carbon, not even a sock.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:57 AM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

You can purchase R/O water from most grocery stores, not too expensive if you have your own containers. I have been forced to do it in a pinch.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:24 AM

Dash is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I use tap water. I have a tank journal on here if you’d like to check out some photos
Old 12-14-2019, 06:39 PM

@Dash - your tank looks awesome, with some nice growth on your SPS

Have you had any algae issues with the tank? I assume you also use tap water for your top-off too?
Old 12-14-2019, 09:06 PM

I’ve never had algae issues until I started feeding more and using Reef Chili this year to get some colour into my coral. The colour definitely improved but now I have this one little clump of hair algae at the tip of my tallest rock (you can see it in the photo of my mandarin). I just need to find the time to scrape it off. Otherwise I think it’s pretty clean.
I have a ball of chaeto in my sump fuge and I think this helps. My previous 75 gal tank was sumpless & my old hang on skimmer was not great so I’d have the odd patches of cyano now and then. Nothing serious though.

Yeah, just tap water with Prime. I don’t have rodi set up.

Last edited by Dash; 12-14-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:35 PM

I would imagine the chaeto in the sump and a good skimmer helps a lot.

Have you tested the TDS of your water supply. I’m curious what that would be in New West. I’m in the North Shore, and I believe my TDS gave me a reading of around .10ppm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash View Post
I’ve never had algae issues until I started feeding more and using Reef Chili this year to get some colour into my coral. The colour definitely improved but now I have this one little clump of hair algae at the tip of my tallest rock (you can see it in the photo of my mandarin). I just need to find the time to scrape it off. Otherwise I think it’s pretty clean.
I have a ball of chaeto in my sump fuge and I think this helps. My previous 75 gal tank was sumpless & my old hang on skimmer was not great so I’d have the odd patches of cyano now and then. Nothing serious though.

Yeah, just tap water with Prime. I don’t have rodi set up.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:29 AM

I don’t have a meter but I remember someone else got a reading of 1-2. In all honesty, I believe any cyano/algae in my tanks have been related to flow & skimmer issues and I’ve experienced nothing more than a little patch here and there. I still need to work out my powerhead positioning but it’s tricky due to the sand & my rock placement. I believe the most important element in my tank is the live rock - which came from a very mature tank.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:10 PM

Just checked my water and got 013ppm from my meter. I’m wondering if this is too high to avoid issues with algae if you are only getting 1-2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash View Post
I don’t have a meter but I remember someone else got a reading of 1-2. In all honesty, I believe any cyano/algae in my tanks have been related to flow & skimmer issues and I’ve experienced nothing more than a little patch here and there. I still need to work out my powerhead positioning but it’s tricky due to the sand & my rock placement. I believe the most important element in my tank is the live rock - which came from a very mature tank.