Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Old 01-14-2005, 08:23 PM

Willow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Willow Send a message via Yahoo to Willow

dang thats gonna looks sweet!

lyle where did you get clear pvc? i want!
Old 01-15-2005, 04:15 AM

Pansy-Paws is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all your words of encouragement; we are very excited with how it's coming along ... now on to some answers. It's only fitting that I explain what I did, as I've tagged along on Canreef (and Reef Central) getting lots of good ideas for this project.

Tarolisol: The 4-way will be powered by an Amp Master 3000. I picked up the pump this week, it'll create some kick-ass circulation. The entire system will be heated by two 300-watt heaters, one placed in the refugium, the other in the sump. These will be connected to a Medusa controller. Targeting 77F.

Muck, Willow: I love the look of clear pvc as well. After much searching I located some by mail order at savko.com. And, further to a recent message thread, I also steer clear of UPS and their monster brokerage fees I always request USPS myself.

Danny: The tank is from Envision Acrylics out of Portland, and measures 96x30x30, 3/4 inch acrylic. The nominal volume is 375 gallons, but closer to 330 once the wall thickness is taken into account. It has an external overflow box of 10 gal, so no space is wasted inside the tank.

Since we're starting the tank out as FOWLR, the lighting is 520W PC (2 x Coralife 48" Aqualight). The addition of MH lighting, calcium reactor and a chiller would be the route to upgrade to a reef, but we're in no hurry for now (tank will have angels, tangs, butterflys, mandarins, neon gobies)

The skimmer is attached to the 100 gal refugium (good ol' Rubbermaid stock tub), which has been running since August. It's a Bullet-XL One, powered by a Mak-4, and I'm very pleased with its performance. Here's a shot of it pulled out on its platform ... top lid removed. This is located in what I call my fish room, a closet space under a staircase.

Chin_lee: Good suggestion for an open house, but it's not ready yet (the surrounding area is a mess, and my wife wouldn't approve until it's cleaned up)

Re: the under-sand plumbing, this was desired since the tank is set on a brick bar for three-sided viewing. To keep inside clutter to a minimum, the idea for the plumbing was born. The alternative would have been through the bottom. Here's a shot from the opposite end.

And while that shot looks fairly orderly, here's a shot of the external plumbing at the other end (eight bulkheads and lots of other fittings), still incomplete.

As you can see, I've got myself some plumbing to do this weekend ... hoping to get the closed-loop finished and running (probably a little too aggressive though as I have other "honey-do" items for the weekend )

Our tank http://www.pansy-paws.com/aquarium/

29 gallon nano-tank
Old 01-15-2005, 05:01 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Wow, Lyle! Looks humongous & awesome. That's a worth seeing (hint, hint) It's very obvious that you've put in the time, effort & $$ to do this right. Pat yourself on the back for having the patience to do what most of us can only dream about at this time

Anthony

Tank tour '05 anyone
Old 01-15-2005, 07:12 AM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee
Default excellent planning

excellent planning with the union joints under the ball valves. It makes things VERY easy in the future to change things around.

Three sided viewing is very nice as thats what I have for my system .... but it is 1.5 times more work to clean the glass. I hate glass cleaning on my 6 foot tank.... you're gonna have fun with your 8 foot tank Looking forward to that open house one day. .... ... good job!
Old 01-16-2005, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chin_lee
Three sided viewing is very nice as thats what I have for my system .... but it is 1.5 times more work to clean the glass.
Yeah I am really hoping that the amount of algae matches the accumulation rate for our existing fish-only, it needs cleaning every 2-3 months. On the otherhand, the reef tank needs cleaning weekly. Not sure why the huge difference ...

Here's hoping that acrylic cleaning doesn't become a huge chore

29 gallon nano-tank
Old 01-16-2005, 08:08 PM

Tarolisol is on a distinguished road

In regard to the 4 way i have a reeflo dart on my which is similiar to the ampmaster and on a tank that big the flow will seem underpowered. It would seem all the plumbing for teh 4 way really take a toll on the output of the pump. I can already for see getting a bigger pump one day for my 210 gallon.

Back in the good ole days
Old 01-17-2005, 12:35 AM

We do plan to have an open house/viewing party and you'll all be invited. While Lyle has been busy with the tank, I've been designing and building the turnstyle and souvenir gift shop that you'll have to pass through before you get to the tank . . . hey we have to pay for this somehow - LOL
Rose (Lyle's better & also fish crazy half)
Old 01-17-2005, 02:22 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Wow, Lyle. You lucked out. A wife who's also fish-crazy. Almost unheard of. Most guys/gals are lucky if their other half is tolerant of their addiction. My wife likes the corals & fish, but not quite fish-crazy yet. Gonna set her up with her own little nano-reef tank in her flower shop to see if that get the craziness going.

Anthony

Hi Rose!! Welcome to CanReef.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:49 AM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

Wow nice tank. might i suggest a rarer species of clownfish just to top it off.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarolisol
In regard to the 4 way i have a reeflo dart on my which is similiar to the ampmaster and on a tank that big the flow will seem underpowered. It would seem all the plumbing for teh 4 way really take a toll on the output of the pump. I can already for see getting a bigger pump one day for my 210 gallon.
Sean,
I turned on the Amp Master earlier this week, and I agree that more flow is desirable (especially if I wasn't starting as fish-only). I will also have a Mag 18 from the sump supplying an overhead manifold, so we'll see. Might up that to a Mag 24 (the overflow comb probably won't handle a Mag 36 though). I had toyed with the idea of installing two closed loop systems, but decided to stick with one. For a reef setup of this size I would definately add at least 2 Tunze 6100's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahorse_Fanatic
Wow, Lyle. You lucked out. A wife who's also fish-crazy. Almost unheard of. Most guys/gals are lucky if their other half is tolerant of their addiction.
Anthony,
And I used that fish-crazy attitude to maximum advantage this week The smell of curing Tonga rock in the house was unbelievably rank, and the boxes had 5 rotting cucumbers in them (now that is the worst smell I've ever come across !!!! Yes, even worse than dying Xenia ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan
might i suggest a rarer species of clownfish just to top it off
Ryan,
I like clownfish, but a pair would be too aggreesive and territorial for my strategy on this tank. BTW, what rarer species were you thinking of ??

Over the weekend I'll add some photos and ideas that I had for a refugium and then a linear, multi-tank sump under the bar. Alas the idea didn't work out, and I was left with three 10 gallon tanks with various bulkhead holes (and one that cracked when I tightened the bulkhead too much).

Meanwhile, I need to put the gas mask back on ... that Tonga is still working wonders on the nasal passages.

29 gallon nano-tank