Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-23-2012, 07:01 AM

jords is on a distinguished road
Default jords' 65g Build

Okay, so long time in the thoughts, I decided it's finally time to upgrade. I'm going to say I'm tired of nano tanks, although I'm aware the new tank is only going to be about 65 gallons. Can't go any bigger right now because of size.

I'm going to be building this tank myself, for several reasons. So I've been contacting a couple local glass shops to get the glass for the build, and think I got what I need.

Dimensions of the tank of 24x24x30. Remember, in my current house, space is an issue (fingers crossed for new house in the spring), which is part of the reason why I'm going deep and wide for such a small tank. Also I like to be able to create "character" in the tank, and having a deeper tank allows for me to have low-light and high-light corals. However, I'll be tearing down my ~25 gallon and putting the fish/corals in this new tank eventually.

Overflow is basic corner box, 1x 1" hole and 1x 0.5" hole for a herbie-style overflow. Going to be building a basic wooden stand for the tank too, so pipes are going to go straight down into the sump (will find a used 20 gallon for that). Return is 0.75" hole on back, opposite side.

I have drawn up the blueprints for it, and as I said, have gotten into contact with local glass shops, and should be getting the ball rolling on this right away. Have determined I'll be going LED with the tank (never tried it, so I'd love to). At this point, thinking about a AI unit, and skimmer would be a Bubble Mugnus.

Always open to ideas, and tips. Whether it be for supplies/setup, or (especially) actually building the glass tank. I wanted to do a tank journal so I can track all my progress.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:20 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Old 11-23-2012, 07:46 PM

HaZRaTTy is on a distinguished road

hey. Good luck

Personally I would just get a builder to build the tank not so much because its difficult or I can't just for the peace of mind that the one time I leave the house the front panel explodes.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaZRaTTy View Post
hey. Good luck

Personally I would just get a builder to build the tank not so much because its difficult or I can't just for the peace of mind that the one time I leave the house the front panel explodes.
I think I should be covered for that! The dimensions of the tank are only going to be 24x24x30. I'll be using 1/2" thick float glass. And, being the first tank I've ever "assembled," I'll be using TONS of silicone! That was my huge paranoia at first - so I figured go with 1/2" thick glass, and pile on the silicone and I shouldn't have any problems with either the glass or the seams. I guess time will tell. However, I'm sure that's always going to be in the back of my head with this tank. Just the risk I guess I have to take.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:31 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

too much silicone and it won't dry, meaning no strength at all. There is technique involved and just piling on a ton of silicone isn't it.

I bet you can get that tank built for less you can get the glass for. Have you gotten a quote through Colby? He orders tanks from Concept here in Calgary and they have a really good rep if you didn't know already.

Last edited by sphelps; 11-24-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:46 PM

Cliff is on a distinguished road

+1 to the above.

I too would also suggest talking to Colby about getting a tank built the way you want it. There are soon many little sublte things to building a tank. Best left to the experts IMO. Colby will get you a fare price I've bought a few tanks from him now and will certainly return when/if I want another one
Old 11-24-2012, 01:55 PM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

Personally I took apart and re silicones a 180g and it hasn't fallen apart yet. If you want to build your own go for it just watch a few silicone vids and have at it or read threads others have built from scratch. You could buy a pre made tank which can pop as well there never is any real guarantees. But as they said above too much is not good but do your research go to a lfs see how those tanks look and your good to go. Most importantly have fun that's what it's all about isn't it. Not to mention the satisfaction of saying I did this.... All of it

Sent from my porcelain aquarium

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 11-24-2012, 08:39 PM

I've approached Concept on several different occasions, and one of those was even through Colby. The only time I got a quote back was from reefwars on the forums, who has since stopped messaging me (I assume as this tank is very budget-wise, and it's my first build, so I was probably a tad annoying with trying to get one built).

I'll take the chance doing it on my own. If that doesn't work, then I guess I'll make a trip out to Edmonton and buy a tank from AI (even though I think they use Concept too).
Old 11-24-2012, 09:46 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Ahh the boy that cried wolf
Oh well maybe next time and yes AI works with concept.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Ahh the boy that cried wolf

....haha what? I'm the boy?