Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-19-2012, 05:52 PM

mandyplo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Geek View Post
I wonder which came first...

the fish not yet acclimated to tank/captivity/physiological homeostasis in acquisition events... or the hole wedging incident.

IMO fish rarely get into rock places where they can't escape unless they are not well. More likely that they were not ready to come out. Had a Royal Gramma that refused to come out at feeding for the first 4 weeks until there were more pelagic fish in the fore reef.

I've had these two dispar anthias for roughly 9 months, always swimming in the current of my power heads, and always the quickest and first to snatch any food during feeding times. I'm no expert when it comes to reefing, I am just a beginner at salt water tanks but long time hobbyist in freshwater and ponds, but these are some happy healthy fish if I ever saw any.

However, the rock structure he got stuck in is fairly new, only been in the tank about a month. I think he was probably just exploring some of the new hiding places and underestimated his size, or the size of the hole.

I'm worried now Everyone saying their fish died shortly after being rescued from their rocks. I hope my little guy makes it!
Old 11-20-2012, 12:57 AM
BATfishMAN

Reef_Geek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyplo View Post
I've had these two dispar anthias for roughly 9 months, always swimming in the current of my power heads, and always the quickest and first to snatch any food during feeding times. I'm no expert when it comes to reefing, I am just a beginner at salt water tanks but long time hobbyist in freshwater and ponds, but these are some happy healthy fish if I ever saw any.

However, the rock structure he got stuck in is fairly new, only been in the tank about a month. I think he was probably just exploring some of the new hiding places and underestimated his size, or the size of the hole.

I'm worried now Everyone saying their fish died shortly after being rescued from their rocks. I hope my little guy makes it!
well... looks like there's lots of experiences contrary to my opinion... I'm often wrong... so my wife tells me.

I'm not sure that there's much you can do at this point though. One thought is to provide habitat that is less likely to have them get stuck in, but where they'll find comfort for hiding... maybe some rock work with over hangs?
Old 11-20-2012, 02:42 AM

jords is on a distinguished road

We had an eclipse hogfish who wedged himself into a hole a few days after we moved. Didn't notice him in there. Then tried to find him one day and when we found him we tried to help him out, but he came out headless... must have been a few days >.>

Tags
stuck fish rocks