Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-05-2012, 02:28 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

6 line wrasse's can turn into terrors. I had considered getting one but most people that have had them said they turned very aggressive.
Spotted(Pajama) Cardinals do better in pairs. Mine are a breeding pair. They will tolerate more than 2, but don't get along.
Bangaii's are fun in a pair as well. I'm not sure if they get along with other cardinal's though, and you definitely want to make sure you get a pair.
As others have pointed out, I would avoid a mandarin unless you are going to feed it their specific food.
For firefish, I've always read that you either get a pair that is already paired up, or stick with one. You're tank is covered so you are good that way.
The rest of your list looks good. A fairy or flasher wrasse will do fine with your current selection. There a tonne to choose from as well.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:09 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
Accessors are damn aggressive
I have a yellow assesor which has never shown aggression.
As for clown gobie. I had one that destroyed some Sps. Never again will I chance one
Old 06-05-2012, 03:15 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Chris and Anthony have made suggestions to stay away from a six line wrasse, but without real reasons why, besides the mandarin issue ...

So, why ?

six lines are one of the most territoriual wrasses

i have one full grown and it will instantly kill any fish that enters the tank thats smaller then him....like literally seconds......an expensive lesson for me

they are alot harder on your pod population then dragonettes, so with a six line in the tank a mandarin is already on the losing side.

six lines do not do well for pest control they get to use to prepared foods and have a huge taste for pods mostly.

they are also hard to catch i have to go fishing for mine as i still dont know where he sleeps.

ill never have one in a tank agaon their colours are beautiful but ive had a few sixlines over the years and they all were territorial but this is the first ive had to adult size and they just get meaner.

my tank is a 90g with lots of liverock and i believe in their adult stage they need more territory.

that said there are species of fish the six line doesnt bother like dragoneets,pipefish etc.

goodluck man wouldnt be me with all the pretty safe wrasses available:P

oh and you would be fine with a smaller tang like the tommini or kole tang or if you got a regular tang as a juvie then swapped him once hes larger

cheers
Old 06-05-2012, 06:49 PM

strickrick is on a distinguished road

If you really want a sixline but don't want to chance the aggression issue (hit and miss with every fish), try a cryptic sixline wrasse (Pseudocheilinops ataenia). Very cool, non-aggressive and a perfect addition to either a small or large reef tank!!!
Old 06-05-2012, 07:14 PM

Madmak is on a distinguished road

My six line is one of my favorites, always active, and mine is quite neutral. He was my first fish I believe.

A Kole tang is a nice small tang as well, typically friendly, and a great algae grazer (they have slightly bigger lips than most tangs). Mine is a real goof-ball.

A stocking list is tough. I have far too many fish at times, but re-home some when needed and adopt others when needed. With this theory I'm not near as concerned with compatibility as I can make changes after observing each individual fish rather than trust the stereotypes.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:08 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Excellent info everyone ... thanks much

Sure I realise every fish is different, but the reason for this post was to get info on things I hadn't thought about or learned. The six line eating pods is a prime example so this post has already helped me

Looks like I've talked the wife into a flasher instead of the six line

I like Kole tangs - good option. Donna hadn't picked one as the pic I showed her maybe doesn't do them justice

A mandarin would definately only be added way down the road, and only if I see enough food for it and would supplement. Maybe I'll be able to find the wife something as a substitute
Old 06-05-2012, 11:35 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

I have a Kole tang in one of my tanks. He is a real workhorse, grazing rocks, glass, everything, including occasionally my Lawnmower Blenny's back, who doesn't seem to mind and just sits there. Eats any kind of food, and doesn't have a mean bone in him towards other fish.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:06 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Sixline wrasses start off being model citizens as juveniles. As they age they get ornery, grumpy, and territorial. You wouldn't believe the amount of damage they can inflict if they feel like it. You may think this be true of all fishes and maybe it is but it's very much a question of "when" a sixline will turn rather than "if." You wouldn't believe how many times I've seen "oh, but not MY sixline, it must be an individual thing" but the problem is they do almost always start off as sweethearts and end up as complete terrors. I lost several fish to my sixline - all of a sudden he'd decide he didn't like them anymore and poof I'd find the poor things without any fins left and left to die, unable to swim or move and stuck on the sandbed. I ended hating mine because of this and was not sorry when he died. With that said he was one of the longer lived fish I had and lived for close to ten years so it was a lonnnnng time I had to wait it out (oh yeah did I mention he was impossible to catch too?). I'll *never* try another and would caution against anyone trying one unless they plan on it being with reasonably assertive fish who can defend themselves against that kind of attack. Unfortunately, like with the case with most bullies, the only defense is actually more of an offensive return attack. I.e., there is no "live and let live" - they have to prove "I'm capable of killing you back if you don't leave me alone". He would viciously attack any new fish I'd get and it would only stop once they attacked back and did serious damage. It's so awesome seeing injured fish in your tank (not). Did I mention I grew to totally hate mine? Classic textbook bully.

Last edited by Delphinus; 06-06-2012 at 03:08 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:10 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Sixline wrasses start off being model citizens as juveniles. As they age they get ornery, grumpy, and territorial. You wouldn't believe the amount of damage they can inflict if they feel like it. You may think this be true of all fishes and maybe it is but it's very much a question of "when" a sixline will turn rather than "if." You wouldn't believe how many times I've seen "oh, but not MY sixline, it must be an individual thing" but the problem is they do almost always start off as sweethearts and end up as complete terrors. I lost several fish to my sixline - all of a sudden he'd decide he didn't like them anymore and poof I'd find the poor things without any fins left and left to die, unable to swim or move and stuck on the sandbed. I ended hating mine because of this and was not sorry when he died. With that said he was one of the longer lived fish I had and lived for close to ten years so it was a lonnnnng time I had to wait it out (oh yeah did I mention he was impossible to catch too?). I'll *never* try another and would caution against anyone trying one unless they plan on it being with reasonably assertive fish who can defend themselves against that kind of attack. Unfortunately, like with the case with most bullies, the only defense is actually more of an offensive return attack. I.e., there is no "live and let live" - they have to prove "I'm capable of killing you back if you don't leave me alone". He would viciously attack any new fish I'd get and it would only stop once they attacked back and did serious damage. It's so awesome seeing injured fish in your tank (not). Did I mention I grew to totally hate mine? Classic textbook bully.

describes mine to a tee and you said it impossible to catch
Old 06-06-2012, 03:22 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

I'm hearing more of this now - thanks Tony ( and Denny )
I've substituted a Carpenter's flasher, but will look at all the flashers first
Good thing the wife likes them
Plus that Canary Tony has is nice