Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 02-29-2012, 10:22 PM

strickrick is on a distinguished road

Quickly learned to move the cat tree because my little bengal left a scratch on the acrylic the first week I got him. He hasn't touched the tank since but he'll sit and watch the fish from time to time (from a distance). I still wouldn't trust him with the right opportunity.

Last edited by strickrick; 03-03-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:17 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Old 03-01-2012, 03:04 PM

noirsphynx is on a distinguished road

My cat went for a swim in a 90g with two very large Jack Dempsey's when he was a kitten(12 years ago) and that was all it took, now he steers clear of any tank in my house
Old 03-01-2012, 04:43 PM

DanG is on a distinguished road

My GF has 2 cats, one is too fat to get up onto my tank, but the older one I will catch on top of the canopy from time to time. He gets 8 shots from my nerf gun as he is running away. He knows he's not supposed to be up there, but that doesn't stop him.
I Keep the nerf gun on the bookshelf next to the tank in hopes that it keeps him away, and it works for the most part, but still far from 100%.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:57 PM

belzebuth is on a distinguished road

Our small tabby will sometime jump on the hood but my Maine Coon has no interest in the fish tank....probably a good thing since he weighs 27 lbs
Old 03-02-2012, 07:20 AM
Colony Growing Master

Rice Reef is on a distinguished road
Default New kitten

Here is the newest addition to our family... Her name is Ninja.
My sons really wanted one so we'll try to make it work.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

When we moved to our present home, I set up a 165 6.5" acrylic tank here (where my brother in law was living) so that the move would be as easy as possible. I slowly filled the tank with half old water and half new water. What my bro-in-law didn't tell me is that his stupid cat jumped in one night and its flea powder got into the water. Nope, thanks buddy. That easy move from the old place to here went smoothly as far as transporting the fish over, but the cat's flea powder killed off a lot of the fish. He only fessed up when I noticed scratches on the inside of the acrylic tank and it was his gf who mentioned the flea powder. So when Felicia mentions cat, I tell her sorry, but no. Besides we cat sat for a friend for 3 weeks and the bloody cat kept running away from Felicia & would try to scratch her if she got too close. Not a fun experience and couldn't wait for my friend to come back from Taiwan. I've dog sat before and that was a far better experience.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:12 PM

belzebuth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice Reef View Post
Here is the newest addition to our family... Her name is Ninja.
My sons really wanted one so we'll try to make it work.

Congradulation on your new addition... You will love owning a cat it bring a lot to our life each day
Great name
Old 03-03-2012, 01:15 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Congrats

Old 03-03-2012, 08:03 PM

fishyfolks is on a distinguished road
Default Congrats

WOW!! This post is generating a lot of fuss!*

First off....Congrats on ur new family member I know that you started this thread because you were looking for honest opinions, and BOY did u get them. Haha.*

From my personal experience over the last 15 years of having tanks (and always having cats and dogs at the same time too) - I think it really boils down to each individual animal. From reading some of the other posts, it would appear that I've had really good luck. That being said, I also think a lot of the cats prolonged behavior regarding the tank (and other bad habits around the house) has to do with how YOU originally approach it. When Ninja gets too close to the tank (or any other place deemed off limits) *pick him up and relocate him. Preoccupy his furry little thoughts elsewhere with a toy or a scratch post. If he continues his naughty behavior, *let him know he's being bad with a firm NO. I know its a repetitive *experience, but he'll get it. The water gun works for discipline provided its used in moderation and not in his little face. You will get to a point where you only have to show Ninja the sprayer. He'll back right off. I didn't look at your profile to see if you have a canopy. I have one for peace of mind. I've never seen my guys up there, but who knows what happens when im not home. The canopy gives me peace of mind, I know that cat and tank are both safe. If not, the egg crate is an awesome alternative. Also if you have a sump or refuge, make sure it's not accessible. Kittens will play with almost anything. Lol.*

I also noticed you have a collar on him. Please make sure it's a quick release collar. Kittens are inquisitive - its simply in their nature. He WILL get into things and if his collar gets caught up on something (tank related or otherwise) he could seriously injure himself. I worked in a vet clinic and saw this happen over and over again. *One more little note regarding all of the kitty litter talk... Your kitten will not pee in a dirty litter box. If its not clean he might use a plant, a sink ect ect. Cats are very clean animals. (I don't know about you people, but when I go to use a bathroom and there's a big mess in it, I go to the next stall) Same thing with cats. Oh, and get a scratch post or two. They NEED a place to practice what comes naturally to them. I you don't provide them with one, they will improvise.*

On a personal note (unrelated to the original thread) I'm pretty surprised how many ppl on this forum had bad things to say about cats. The question that Rice Reef asked was 'Hey...do cats and tank gel' not 'Hey, anyone out there got a list of what u hate about cats???' Lol.*It is true that there are some problematic cats out there, but that goes for any species alive. Dog, cat, birds and I know I've had more than one fish reak havvock on my tank too.*

I thought most of us were interested in the wonderful world of reefing not only to *have a cool looking tank in our house, but more importantly because we get to experience and learn about the beauty of all of the LIFE in there?? I love all *living creatures out there. Cats and fish alike. Every 'animal' has individual beauty and knowledge to offer to us. Heck, throw a gerbil, a bird and a lizard in the mix too. Lions, and Tigers and Bears oh my. Hehe

Lastly, ENJOY ur kitty. If you are a responsible pet owner from the get-go, the rewards will be amazing.*
175 Gallon Tank, 33 Gallon Sump, 2 x AI COLOR SOL, Leather corals, colts corals, several brain corals, misc frogspawn, misc sps corals, purple tang, yellow tang, naso tang, hippo tang, 4 clown fish, 5 clams and many many inverts