Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 01-08-2012, 07:13 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Trial and error has shown that any marine tank does "better" with rock.

I am sure you CAN go without, but why? You can do good, or you can do great. Fish appreciate the hiding areas, and benefit from the pods and whatnot that they find to munch on.

Thats my opinion anyhow.

Plus a tank without rock would be plain and boring. IMO.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:15 PM

Palmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyob View Post
Trial and error has shown that any marine tank does "better" with rock.

I am sure you CAN go without, but why? You can do good, or you can do great. Fish appreciate the hiding areas, and benefit from the pods and whatnot that they find to munch on.

Thats my opinion anyhow.

Plus a tank without rock would be plain and boring. IMO.
Don't get me wrong I like the look of live rock and appreciate it for its looks and function in my current reef tank.

I just like the look of the slate rock I have in my Cichlid tank as well and am just going for a different look in this new project. The fish will have plenty of hiding places in this set up as well. Although I agree the pods etc will not be present like in a LR tank.

I am also going to try to do this somewhat affordably so I am keeping the coralife compact with daylight and actinics for this and know I dont need expensive lighting for it. I will likely put my money most into the skimmer and a new sump (or used )

I have a little UV sterilizer for my Cichlid tank so may first just use that and restrict the flow in it.

The other idea I had was to consider mangroves. I like trying new things and I have never used them for my reef tank. Maybe mangroves in the sump with some light etc.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:27 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerchow View Post
Everytime you go to the lhs and see a cool looking fish you want, no worries about if it's reef safe. Just buy what you see.
Great advice if you have a lot of cash to burn on dead fish. There are a lot of other reasons to not buy any fish you see other than being reef compatible. Do the research before buying any fish! Compatability, special diet, etc.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:29 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
Great advice if you have a lot of cash to burn on dead fish. There are a lot of other reasons to not buy any fish you see other than being reef compatible. Do the research before buying any fish! Compatability, special diet, etc.
Great advice from you. We have an obligation as reefers to provide the optimum of care for all the critters we remove from the ocean
Old 01-09-2012, 03:35 AM

burgerchow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
Yo, what I mean is that I'm assuming the op is savvy with fish husbandry, as he already has a large reef tank, and would know about asking about fish diets and special needs. What I mean is that if he saw a nice queen angel or even a goldflake angel, maybe a clown trigger, he could get them without worrying about whether they would eat his corals or invertebrates.
How many times have you been in a fish store and saw the most beautiful fishes, but regrettably have to pass because they weren't reef safe?
As for hiding places, the slate slabs make beautiful caves and crevices for hiding.

If you don't think I know my fish, I've been in the hobby for 35 years. Reef for 20 years.

120 , lps. 2xKessil A350W Tuna Blues, 2xvortech mp40 for flow,aqualogic 1/4 hp chiller, 160 lbs live rock. sohal, , pair of percs,flame dotty back , royal gramma, pair of black percs, niger trigger, mandarin

55 corner bowfront freshwater, African cichlids kessil a350

30 gal 36x36 coffee table fish tank. 3 red ear sliders.

5.5 gal nano, live rock, arrow crab, baby perc, firefish.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:38 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yo, what I mean is that I'm assuming the op is savvy with fish husbandry, as he already has a large reef tank, and would know about asking about fish diets and special needs. What I mean is that if he saw a nice queen angel or even a goldflake angel, maybe a clown trigger, he could get them without worrying about whether they would eat his corals or invertebrates.
How many times have you been in a fish store and saw the most beautiful fishes, but regrettably have to pass because they weren't reef safe?
As for hiding places, the slate slabs make beautiful caves and crevices for hiding.

If you don't think I know my fish, I've been in the hobby for 35 years. Reef for 20 years.
Good point. There is an absolutely gorgeous parrotfish at King Ed's that selling for a good price but I can't bring it home because I don't have a big fish only tank for it.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:56 AM

burgerchow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
Good point. There is an absolutely gorgeous parrotfish at King Ed's that selling for a good price but I can't bring it home because I don't have a big fish only tank for it.
I know what u mean, I actually bought a gorgeous one at j&l the other day, but had to return it cause I bumped into Jason darr who was shutting down his big reef, and bought about 30 corals from him. Would have been an expensive dinner for the parrotfish. Lol
Seahorse, which tanks u still running? How's that eheim pro filter work out that I gave you?

120 , lps. 2xKessil A350W Tuna Blues, 2xvortech mp40 for flow,aqualogic 1/4 hp chiller, 160 lbs live rock. sohal, , pair of percs,flame dotty back , royal gramma, pair of black percs, niger trigger, mandarin

55 corner bowfront freshwater, African cichlids kessil a350

30 gal 36x36 coffee table fish tank. 3 red ear sliders.

5.5 gal nano, live rock, arrow crab, baby perc, firefish.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:26 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I'm sure the OP knows this but a lot of people new to salt water also read these posts and may take things very literally. I forget that anyone could be reading what I write as well and am sure I've probably inadvertently posted some bad advice if the context was unknown.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:41 AM

SauceBoss is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
Can't say myself, because have never tried that. But if you have enough surface area with your old rock work and bio balls with beneficial bacteria, maybe that is enough to provide an adequate nitrogen cycle for your organic waste. Then use a bio pellet reactor and with your skimmer you may be able to keep your nitrates low enough.

Why don't you give it a try and let us know how it works out. You can always add live rock later, or fill up a sump with it.
+1000
Old 01-09-2012, 04:45 AM

Palmer is on a distinguished road

In my case in particular there still is a lot I don't know about saltwater species because I have avoided many fish for my 120 G reef. After having Cichlids for years I really didnt want to deal with a lot of fish aggression. So I have 6 fish in my reef but all farily small and polite to each other

I plan on researching any fish I get for the next tank and only asked for suggestions because of the expertise on this board and the fact that I can be lazy and get recommendations and have some great conversations about fish at the same time .