Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 07-23-2011, 07:12 PM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swill View Post
What would you suggest for a skimmer for a 300 gallon FOWLR tank?
http://www.reefshops.com/bubble-magu...e-skimmer.html
http://www.reefshops.com/2011-bubble...-hero-320.html
For 300 Gal you need something that pulls at least 1000 L/H of air or more. If manufacturer does not say how much air skimmer intake stay away from it.

I bought skimmer and Calcium reactor from this guy and very happy with quality and performance , the only draw back is 220V but i got a transformer from CraigsList for $10 200 Watt. skimmer is only 23 W and calc reactor is only 15W, so i can drive more on the same transformer.
Both units are excellent quality very quiet and skimmer is very easy to clean, just lift the collection cup up.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:16 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuGlu6 View Post
http://www.reefshops.com/bubble-magu...e-skimmer.html
http://www.reefshops.com/2011-bubble...-hero-320.html
For 300 Gal you need something that pulls at least 1000 L/H of air or more. If manufacturer does not say how much air skimmer intake stay away from it.

I bought skimmer and Calcium reactor from this guy and very happy with quality and performance , the only draw back is 220V but i got a transformer from CraigsList for $10 200 Watt. skimmer is only 23 W and calc reactor is only 15W, so i can drive more on the same transformer.
Both units are excellent quality very quiet and skimmer is very easy to clean, just lift the collection cup up.
If money isn't an issue stay away from Crap like that.... in my Honest Experience
Old 07-23-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
If money isn't an issue stay away from Crap like that.... in my Honest Experience
All crap is made in China. Cheep crap as well as expensive crap it all comes from there.
Skimmer is just a chamber to mix water and air. I have been in the reef hobby for 13+ years, since 1998 growing SPS corals, and had a lot of skimmers, so yes if money is growing on the tree inside your garage go ahead and buy BK with Red Dragon pump.

Bubble Magus is Chinese skimmer and yet in this thread you are not against it?
Does more expensive means better skimming? I have been using air driven skimmer just until recently when i got a needle wheel.

Some one posted this article where air stone skimmer was proven to be very efficient in terms of crap removal.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...+driven&page=3
Old 07-24-2011, 01:11 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuGlu6 View Post
All crap is made in China. Cheep crap as well as expensive crap it all comes from there.
Skimmer is just a chamber to mix water and air. I have been in the reef hobby for 13+ years, since 1998 growing SPS corals, and had a lot of skimmers, so yes if money is growing on the tree inside your garage go ahead and buy BK with Red Dragon pump.

Bubble Magus is Chinese skimmer and yet in this thread you are not against it?
Does more expensive means better skimming? I have been using air driven skimmer just until recently when i got a needle wheel.

Some one posted this article where air stone skimmer was proven to be very efficient in terms of crap removal.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...+driven&page=3
Oh i know it what makes the skimmer is the pump and if the skimmer is made like crap or cheaped out like alot of them out there then the pump is the only thing that backs up the skimmer.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:21 PM

Hustler is on a distinguished road

Im in the exact same boat.... 300g with a 100g sump and I dont want a BK its just too fancy
Im knee deep in research for an affordable plug and play (seen the becketts but couldnt build one) skimmer that is double the ratings but still not over a grand....
So far the ASM G4+ but maybe 2 of em.... the skimz large one or the INS400 by reef dynamics I actually talked to the owner for a half hour today after seeing his half hour demo youtube video with LAFishguy.
I cant find anything huge and used..... Ebay is nothing but made in china knockoffs and really everyone just pushes the big brands so Im still digging....
Please pm me when you get narrowed down as im in the same boat
Old 09-25-2011, 04:21 AM

Abe is on a distinguished road

The SWC skimmers were mentioned at the beginning of the threat but no one commented about it. I am in the same boat as well, I have been searching quiet a bit. So what do you guys think of the SWC products, and is it better than a vertex? thanks in advance.
230G, 3 X 250w MH , 4x 39w t5 , about 200lbs of LR, 2" of LS bed, 2 maroon clowns hosting a RLTA, 1 regal tang and 1 yellow tang, 1 blonde neso tang, 1 coral beauty, 2 scunk clowns hosting a GBTA, 1 midas blenny, and a mandarin gopy, 6 blue green chromis and 1 six line wrass.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:44 AM

windcoast reefs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Oh i know it what makes the skimmer is the pump and if the skimmer is made like crap or cheaped out like alot of them out there then the pump is the only thing that backs up the skimmer.
These skimmers seem to get great reviews and are flying off the shelf from one of the LFS in victoria. I know a few people that are using this skimmer and are having good results so far. Sure the pump may be cheap (haven't really looked at them that closely yet) and the quality might not be like a bubble king, but really who cares? If it works then why not use it?
Old 09-25-2011, 06:17 AM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe View Post
The SWC skimmers were mentioned at the beginning of the threat but no one commented about it. I am in the same boat as well, I have been searching quiet a bit. So what do you guys think of the SWC products, and is it better than a vertex? thanks in advance.
I own a Bubble kindg skimmer and an SWC 160 cone. I love them both! The Bubble king just feels like quality in your hands. Easy to setup and maintain. Dead quiet.

I was really surprised to the SWC skimmer. it has by far surpassed my expectations for a skimmer in that price range. In my mind much much better than the vertex -in series ( i had a in-100)
Old 09-25-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler View Post
Im in the exact same boat.... 300g with a 100g sump and I dont want a BK its just too fancy
Im knee deep in research for an affordable plug and play (seen the becketts but couldnt build one) skimmer that is double the ratings but still not over a grand....
So far the ASM G4+ but maybe 2 of em.... the skimz large one or the INS400 by reef dynamics I actually talked to the owner for a half hour today after seeing his half hour demo youtube video with LAFishguy.
I cant find anything huge and used..... Ebay is nothing but made in china knockoffs and really everyone just pushes the big brands so Im still digging....
Please pm me when you get narrowed down as im in the same boat
Take a look at these two and compare the skimmers:Bubble King and Bubble Magus; Overall shape, mixing chamber, diffuser plate, air intake silencer, collection cup and the neck riser.
All these parts will not wear unless we introduce ozone. The biggest thing definitely is the pump. If pump is reliable, silent and pulls 1200-3000 L/H of air it is very hard to beat.
However compare $1200 tag to a $300 tag.
Also if we get a bubble bluster pump instead of Red Dragon, bubble blaster pumps 1500L/H of air and cost is $250.
Do we want to pay double price just for the fancy over-hyped name (tat is BTW is also made in China and not locally), or do we want to skim our tanks?
JMTCW

Last edited by RuGlu6; 10-03-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:18 PM

viperfish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
yes the Bullet is a champ and will pull alot of crap out of your tank. I have owned many types of skimmers and I can say that you need your water clean you go to ta Beckett. END OF discussion.
Is anyone even selling Beckett skimmers anymore? I thought they were collecting dust along with air driven and downdraft skimmers? There are a lot more efficient options available that don't require a massive pump to drive the skimmer.