Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 08-28-2007, 07:15 AM

Salmon King is on a distinguished road
Default ich

Copper is the only remedy that works.The ouicker you use it the better results.A freshwater bath will give your fish instant relief in the short term but copper is the fix.I wish people would quite mentioning garlic because it does not work.They even took it off there label that it treats ich.So many people have lost fish because of treating ich with garlic.

Last edited by Salmon King; 08-28-2007 at 07:18 AM. Reason: wording
Old 08-28-2007, 04:30 PM

Skimmer Juice is on a distinguished road

Rudy I also had this problem trying to get a cowfish, the only way is to use cupprimine, dont use copper as cowfish are scaleless. Dont need to drop your salinity, jus remove any inverts remove all carbon, turn off skimmer, I believe you use 1cc of cupprimine per 10 gallons, ask dennis at gold;'s he will tell you step by step, I have had to treat my cowfish twice now if you want to call me you can I have had great succes, with my cow, so you can call me at 975-2187
Old 08-28-2007, 05:11 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

I would be surprised if people actually "lost" fish because of garlic.

I just shared what has worked for me in the past, like I said everyone has thir own magic elixir when it comes to ich treatment and it is up to each individual reefer to find out what is best for -their- tanks. Is anyone better than the other? Everyone will tell you their method is best. For me it's really tough to say becuase I have yet to read a definitive scientific paper on ich treatment, I just know what has worked for me in the past and stick to it.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2

Last edited by digital-audiophile; 08-28-2007 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:24 PM

dogboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital-audiophile View Post
everyone has thir own magic elixir when it comes to ich treatment and it is up to each individual reefer to find out what is best for -their- tanks.
There probably needs to be a distinction made between treatment for ich and eradicating ich from a tank....

I have been successful in ridding my fish of ich by doing absolutly nothing.... just sort of sat back, thought about what my options for treatment would be and then the ich dissappeared...

now this does not mean my tank is ich free but my fish have been able to fight it off IMO by good water quality, propert feeding and diet, etc....
Old 08-28-2007, 07:20 PM

hawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkshiu View Post
You'll just get successive generations faster. Increasing temperature won't kill the crypto by itself.
Exactly, it'll also lessen the oxygen content in the tank making it even more difficult for a sick fish
Old 08-28-2007, 07:24 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

I think the general idea surrounding garlic is that it can aide overall health, which helps the fish to fight off sickness, parasites, etc.

Kind of like how taking vitamins will promote overall health, but doesn't cure the common cold.

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 08-28-2007, 09:13 PM

Redrover is on a distinguished road
Cool

I have been using garlic and vita-chem at feedings...I agree with Drew that it keeps healthy fish healthy, therefore I believe this to be a big factor in the ablitily to fight off this pest. I will also stick with raising the water temp as it's worked for me.

RJ
Old 08-29-2007, 08:16 AM

Ken is on a distinguished road

Hi, Cowfish and porcupinefish, avoid the copper. Regards Ken
Old 08-31-2007, 07:36 AM

Salmon King is on a distinguished road
Default Garlic

As you know garlic was sold as a treatment for parasites at the beginning but is not now.They took that off there label.I told people of garlic 10 years ago before it was sold as a remedy.It was said it was fed to cows and horses to keep ticks and masquitos from biting them that as how somebody ran with the idea as a treatment for parasites for fish in a reef tank.It/s a wise tale.I wish I had sold it and made a million but I wouldnt have felt good misleading people.Maybe its a good food supplement but marine bioligists I have talked to disagree with that even.I dont mean to step on anybodys toes but when people say its a parasite treatment and people believe it and lose fish when the only proven treatment is copper based medications.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:32 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

Hypo-salinity is also a "proven" treatment, and much safer than copper. Many public aquariums use it in their acclimatisation procedures.