Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 01-18-2012, 03:18 PM

Edmonton newbie is on a distinguished road

plamer i set up a scrubber on my 50 gal over the holidays, 3 weeks later and its working great no skimmer no pellets nothing other than the rock in my tank and a scrubber, i took water yesterday to another place to get tested cuz i wasnt believing my kits, confermed im running 0's across the board ulns for the first time in 3 years. i also doubled my feeding when i started the scrubber just to see how it would work. looks like the skimmer i bought to do my next upgrade might never see water
Old 01-19-2012, 01:40 AM

Palmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonton newbie View Post
plamer i set up a scrubber on my 50 gal over the holidays, 3 weeks later and its working great no skimmer no pellets nothing other than the rock in my tank and a scrubber, i took water yesterday to another place to get tested cuz i wasnt believing my kits, confermed im running 0's across the board ulns for the first time in 3 years. i also doubled my feeding when i started the scrubber just to see how it would work. looks like the skimmer i bought to do my next upgrade might never see water
THat sounds good! Do you have any pics of the scrubber? One of my only aversions to that concept is the sighte of it or the potential mess lol... Would be great if it could somehow be incorporated into the sump and tucked away.

Also thanks for everyone's advise!
Old 01-19-2012, 01:46 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
THat sounds good! Do you have any pics of the scrubber?

Also thanks for everyone's advise!
Ya like really Craig where are some pics already...........geeez

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 01-19-2012, 03:00 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post

I plan on researching any fish I get for the next tank and only asked for suggestions because of the expertise on this board and the fact that I can be lazy and get recommendations and have some great conversations about fish at the same time .
If you are ever wondering about a certain type of fish, or if one kind can be kept with another etc. feel free to pm me. Generally speaking I know a fair amount about many different types of fish, and if I don't know I can usually find good info on most fish.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:10 AM

Edmonton newbie is on a distinguished road

ill take some pics this weekend and post them and yes its the only thing in my sump in my stand so it is hidden the only reason to have them out above the tank is if you want them dumping the pods into the display without going through the pump. very simple it cost me a total of $25 to get it up and running only cuz i didnt have a spare ball vavle and union laying around
Old 01-19-2012, 08:25 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

In the past, I actually had an above tank sump/refugium and it worked great for cascading live pods/mysis into my display tanks. Just used a Maxijet1200 to pump water up a few inches and then it gravity fed back into the tank. You can always cover up the algae scrubber tank so its not so visible but you still get the live food waterfalling into the display.