Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-29-2014, 05:53 PM

Seriak is on a distinguished road

I found that as soon as I got my Mg above 1400 I no longer got that film algae on my glass as often. Scrape once a week instead of once a day now.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:18 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Thanks. So 3 cups in a 50g water change is a good starting point? I guess if I'm going to dump stuff in my tank, I should read all the articles, right??
Reading is always good and 3 cups in 50gal is conservative. Mg salts aren't nearly as potent as Calcium Chloride so although it seems like you're adding a lot it actually isn't that much. As others have indicated the Magnesium Chloride Hexahydrate actually contains a lot of water. Its also really good at absorbing even more water from the atmosphere so once you open the bag either tie off the top or move it all to a well sealed bucket or you'll be dealing with a monolithic block in no time.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 04-30-2014, 06:04 AM

TimT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriak
It looks like TimT is the better solution then for Mag Chloride as it would only cost 86ish for a 50lb bag. I wonder if one is pharmaceutical grade which might explain the difference.
My Mag is Dead Sea Works(from the Dead Sea in Israel) which is Tech grade. I have been using it for at least 3 years with no problems. While we are on the topic of USP or FCC or Tech Grade chemicals. What do you think the $35 buckets of IO salt are made from... they are too cheap to be USP grade.

Cheers,
Tim