Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-16-2014, 01:13 AM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road
Default Considering upgrade and going sumpless

I am wondering if there are others out there who could give me some advise on going sumpless on a 240 gallon tank that I am considering. I have a Tunze skimmer that attaches to the side glass, so that issue is resolved. I know I'll have the heater(s) sitting in the tank, but that isn't that big of an issue to me as the huge overflow boxes are butt ugly in my eyes. Anything I should watch out for? I have read a few posts on people going sumpless and it seems pretty simple. I don't dose as I don't want to keep SPS/clams and have a Tunze ATO. I will add more flow, just like you get from a sump, and am going with more volume for more stability.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:51 AM

canadianbudz604 is on a distinguished road
Default Sumpless

The sump will more or less just help u hide equipment, and gives you a chance to hide live rock, reactors, and other things u don't want hanging inside the tank. I have been sumpless/skimmer less for a couple years and don't really have any problems asides from running out of room to hang equipment.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:51 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I've been running sumpless since I started in the hobby in '07. Future plan is to go with a larger tank & basement sump/fishroom, but that's been a plan for a long time now.... may or may not happen. Too many other things impacting the budget these days.

At any rate, nothing wrong with sumpless, one less power item to worry about, a return pump & associated plumbing. You'll definitely have more gear visible unless you find creative ways to hide it. Not just stuff in the tank, but also your skimmer, but you already know that. The other thing you'll need to have on hand is a top off container & method to manage the top off automatically, unless you plan on doing that manually... not recommended. I use a 7 gallon glass wine making carboy pressurized by an air pump on a timer for my ATO. There's a mechanical float valve in the display to ensure the ghetto ATO doesn't overfill the tank. Keeps the 77 gallon topped up for about 7 days, give or take, depending on season, room temp, etc.

I've rigged up a bracket affair with nylon screws threaded into it to hold chaeto for added nitrate control near the surface on the back of the tank. Not that obtrusive, but visible & probably not the most aesthetically pleasing thing to look at for reef purists, but functional. There's enough interesting stuff going on in the tank to draw the eye away from all the ugly gear to keep most folks entertained. My tank will never make TOTM photo by any means, but I keep it for my pleasure, no one else. So if you're ok with some of these issues, go for it.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:02 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

If you'll get a reply or not I can't say as he's been shutting down his tank ( or has fully ), but Carrera75 ran a very successful smaller cube sumpless/skimmerless without issue, so you could send a PM to him asking about his feeding/maintenance regimen
Old 08-16-2014, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
I've been running sumpless since I started in the hobby in '07. Future plan is to go with a larger tank & basement sump/fishroom, but that's been a plan for a long time now.... may or may not happen. Too many other things impacting the budget these days.

At any rate, nothing wrong with sumpless, one less power item to worry about, a return pump & associated plumbing. You'll definitely have more gear visible unless you find creative ways to hide it. Not just stuff in the tank, but also your skimmer, but you already know that. The other thing you'll need to have on hand is a top off container & method to manage the top off automatically, unless you plan on doing that manually... not recommended. I use a 7 gallon glass wine making carboy pressurized by an air pump on a timer for my ATO. There's a mechanical float valve in the display to ensure the ghetto ATO doesn't overfill the tank. Keeps the 77 gallon topped up for about 7 days, give or take, depending on season, room temp, etc.

I've rigged up a bracket affair with nylon screws threaded into it to hold chaeto for added nitrate control near the surface on the back of the tank. Not that obtrusive, but visible & probably not the most aesthetically pleasing thing to look at for reef purists, but functional. There's enough interesting stuff going on in the tank to draw the eye away from all the ugly gear to keep most folks entertained. My tank will never make TOTM photo by any means, but I keep it for my pleasure, no one else. So if you're ok with some of these issues, go for it.
How come you want a sump for your larger system?
Old 08-16-2014, 04:18 AM

freddy is on a distinguished road

Sumpless 75 gallon for 5 yrs,just keep your bioload low and you will be fine
Old 08-16-2014, 05:09 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Curious why you don't want a sump? For the cost of an old 75g or something, it hides all the stuff. You don't need large overflow boxes, you could have a single pipe.
A sump does give you more options for skimmers, heaters, reactors, etc.

All that being said, the sump really only hides gear. If you can arrange all your equipment off the back and sides, then there's no real difference.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:27 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokareefer View Post
How come you want a sump for your larger system?
Hide stuff. More water volume overall, more stability? Run a reverse photo period on a 'fuge to keep pH stable.

Last edited by mike31154; 08-16-2014 at 05:30 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Curious why you don't want a sump? For the cost of an old 75g or something, it hides all the stuff. You don't need large overflow boxes, you could have a single pipe.
A sump does give you more options for skimmers, heaters, reactors, etc.

All that being said, the sump really only hides gear. If you can arrange all your equipment off the back and sides, then there's no real difference.
I find the overflow box and sump seem to get filled with dietrus over time and just seems like another thing that needs to be cleaned. The plumbing underneath I have never been a fan of and just don't like the idea of holes in the glass and feel that the seals/plumbing are going to fail at some point or another. Maybe I'm just paranoid, lol.

I dislike the overflow boxes as I find them a large eyesore and I hate having to adjust flow/rocks around them. My Tunze Skimmer is tiny compared to one of the boxes and if I got a Tunze Comline filter as well, the combination of the 2 will still be considerably smaller. The benefit of hiding everything in the sump seems odd to me if you are having to create a big box, or overflow of some kind that intrudes into the tank as well. I guess each person has there own taste though, mine seeming in the minority.

Also, I never seem to get a quiet system with the sump set up. There just always seems to be the sound of water falling/gurgling somewhere. The system is in an office and it would be nice if the system was as close to silent as possible.

People talk about the benefits of gas exchange from a sump. Could this not be obtained by having powerheads aimed at the surface of the water, or is it considerably better with a sump and your tank mates will die without it in a large system?

I will agree with mike that the photo period you can create in your sump to keep the PH stable is not something obtainable without it. The increased volume also helps, but I am upgrading to get that volume. If I wanted another 60 gallons of volume to make the system more stable, why not get a 300 gallon display tank instead of a 240 gallon with a sump?

On the whole, it just seems like something that makes the system more complicated, more work, more prone for something to fail and more expensive. I like to try to use the KISS rule in life, and the sump seems to be the opposite of that, with little benefits I can't obtain by doing other things that are simpler. That is unless there is something that I am still not realizing/considering. I prefer a less stocked system to allow the occupants more space, so that is not an issue for me as well.

Last edited by ponokareefer; 08-16-2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:29 PM

Seems I need a minimum 1/2 inch glass for this size of tank if I definitely don't want top cross bracing, and the Tunze skimmer and filter I was to use can only be used up to 3/8 inch thick glass. I guess that throws a wrench into this idea.