Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2018, 08:08 PM

Sidius is on a distinguished road
Default 33 Gallon Reef

Finally after many years of enjoying this hobby, I am taking my first dive into the world of reefkeeping and saltwater aquariums. I've started to build a couple reef tanks in the past but never made it to the point that I was actually ready. Life always seemed to get in the way.

I still need some equipment but I'll post what I have and what I plan to have down the road. The plan at this time is to go sumpless and as simple as possible but I will likely add an ATO, skimmer and a doser at some point. I may not use all the equipment posted, I have most of it hanging around from old freshwater setups or prior reef tank builds I started. I welcome any and all advice or suggestions!

When it comes to livestock, I'm still on the fence and plan to take things very slowly. I've learned that even with my old freshwater tanks, patience and stability are key. Rushing things never ends well... again, I welcome any and all advice or suggestions

So I guess to start I'll post my tank info and current equipment list and go from there...

Current Equipment:
33 gallon tank (36x12x18)
Aqua Medic 36" 4 bulb T5 (undecided on which bulbs I'll go with)
AquaFX Barracuda RO/DI
3 x Acrylic dosing containers that I've had collecting dust for some time
Eheim heater
TLF Reactor (if I need to run carbon/GFO but won't be using it to start)
Aquaclear HOB filter (I don't plan to run this right now but I considered running it filled with rock rubble or MarinePure... or maybe even for a HOB Macro algae container)

Future Equipment:
Smart ATO Micro
Eshopps PSK-75H HOB Skimmer
Bubble Magus BM-T11 Dosing pump
Maxspect Gyre (XF230) or Jebao RW4 (x2)

Coral:
SPS/LPS mixed reef with a focus more on SPS (not a fan of most softies)

Fish (3 or 4 of the following):
Clownfish (Picasso or Da Vinci are favorites)
Firefish
Banggai Cardinal (love these but on the fence)
Mandarin Dragonet (Also on the fence as I know a 33g is a bit small for pod population but these are one of my favorite fish)
Flame Angel (on the fence because I've heard they can pick at corals)

Rocks are a mix of BRS Reef Saver rock and live rock from J&L... they've been cycling in rubbermaids for 2.5 weeks now to try and get as much sand/silt out of them as possible. Keeping an eye on phosphate levels before actually moving them into the tank and adding sand and critters.

I decided to set it up in the garage next to my salt mixing station so I can make a mess and not annoy my wife lol

Last edited by Sidius; 09-21-2018 at 08:16 PM.