Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-22-2012, 05:49 PM

Seriak is on a distinguished road

Well there is the following link that says no:

http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com....html#softener

But from what I have read about people's experiences, they have found no problems with using water softeners, but most use them before a RO filter anyways. It will actually be a benefit to your RO membranes and you will have no problems with your top off. Not sure about your tap water for the initial setup.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:06 PM

Beverly is on a distinguished road

Hi Seriak,

I was intending to use water softened water for setting up the 25g and for water changes, then use store-bought RO for top up (Canadian Tire sells 5g for about $2.00).

The link you provided states definitely to NOT use water softened water for SW. Okay. So that's the answer. Not what I was hoping for, but that's the answer nontheless. Thanks

So the question we have to answer now is whether or not to buy an RO unit or give up the 25g.

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel

Last edited by Beverly; 06-22-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:17 PM

molotov is on a distinguished road

I'm so confused why you would use treated water to fill your tank yet use RO/DI water for your top offs???? Why would you use RO/DI for top off when your original water is treated? I would say use only treated water for everything or RO water for everything of course with the emphasis on RO/DI for everything. Anyways.........

You'll also not want to plumb your water softener to the water lines that feed your outside taps. You wouldn't want to be watering your lawn or flower beds with water that you've treated with a water softener. Just my $0.02
Old 06-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

If you're using store bought Ro water then why not just use the same store bought water on initial set up and waterchanges, at that point you may aswell install an Rodi, the cost if top up water is mostlikely $5 a week or say half that your looking at $260 a year or $130 if half, kinda doesn't make sense why you would risk a reef tank crashing over a couple hundred dollars being saved.... IMO and not trying to be a jerk or come off like a donkey it just doesn't make sense....

In Vancouver were lucky we don't have to use softeners because our water is very soft to begin with, but I guess in Edmonton and las Vegas it's a must....

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 06-22-2012, 09:25 PM

Beverly is on a distinguished road

Still not getting into any aspect of the great RO vs. tapwater debate. Find another thread for that, guys

Yup, thought of that - the outdoor taps will not be plumbed into the water softener.

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel
Old 06-22-2012, 09:28 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

It's not a debate of which water is better but the answer was posted a few threads back the water softener is probably not good to use on reef tanks, so what I was saying is why go half and half, either you use Ro or don't....

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 06-22-2012, 09:31 PM

Nano is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
Still not getting into any aspect of the great RO vs. tapwater debate. Find another thread for that, guys

Yup, thought of that - the outdoor taps will not be plumbed into the water softener.
I just got my RO yesterday, I think the unit is about $129~ I personally havent hooked up yet, but its on the honey do list for the weekend, I can't wait to see how things change from using a mix of tap and RO, to straight RO
personally, I would get the RO unit then you dont need to mix with tap water thus reversing the effects of RO.
hows the tank doing BTW Bev?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:49 PM

goldie is on a distinguished road

I used to be on well water and had a water softener and my tank did well. I used the water softener salt you get from canadian tire.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:42 PM
Vendor

nrosdal is on a distinguished road

soft water will in no way hurt your tank (it just has lower hardness and calcium levels then untreated water. which is good for everything in your home except the tank).. just use it like you would normal water and add a bit more kalk to your top off and you will be good.

did you know that r/o water is better for your tank??
Old 06-24-2012, 09:42 PM

Megalodon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Megalodon

Test your tap water water for phosphates, nitrates, and copper.