Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 06-23-2020, 02:04 AM

brisco is on a distinguished road
Default LED Renew

So....I have a 5 foot RedSea Reefer with a Vertex Illumina 260 1200(4 foot) light on it. My light was activated May 2013 and pretty much run 10 to 12 hours a day flawlessly ever since. No LEDs have burned out as yet but I am thinking that they must be near end of life. I worry that they may be off spectrum and starting to loose PAR by now.

The test would be how are my corals doing...well mostly dead from an 8 month battle with an hair algae plaque, so hard to judge that. Perhaps the light is contributing to the algae problem? I am not sure.

All the reading that I can find on LEDs show a drop off at 50K hours if not earlier, but nothing specific on spectrum or specific to this light.

Vertex is now defunct but another company is now providing parts and updates to these fixtures, Scitronix. I have been in contact with them and am planning to update all my LED pads (8) and also add 3 aux multi colour and UV pads. It isn't cheap but I like the sleek look and reliability of my unit and this should give me double the PAR output with the same power consumption. It also keeps it out of the landfill.

Has anyone else done this update?