Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 10-03-2015, 12:50 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron99 View Post
Cool. I haven't done my advanced yet. I think it's more a money grab by PADI for some divers.
I think for most people, the Open Water is sufficient as most people don't dive without dive masters. I think furthering certification is a good idea for people who go on dive trips where they may be going in a group without any dive masters. There really isn't a lot of extra knowledge in the Advanced course. I think for many people though, taking the Deep Diver course is probably a good idea because many dive masters will take Open Water divers beyond the 60 ft limitation of the Open Water. I'm a big ole chicken, so there's no way in hell I would go beyond 60 ft without the extra training.

SPS fanatic.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:26 AM

neoh is on a distinguished road

I did mine at ocean pro divers for $280 with a Groupon. I paid an additional $380 for the dry suit certification and a 6 month rental package. Totally worth it.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:44 AM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I think for most people, the Open Water is sufficient as most people don't dive without dive masters. I think furthering certification is a good idea for people who go on dive trips where they may be going in a group without any dive masters. There really isn't a lot of extra knowledge in the Advanced course. I think for many people though, taking the Deep Diver course is probably a good idea because many dive masters will take Open Water divers beyond the 60 ft limitation of the Open Water. I'm a big ole chicken, so there's no way in hell I would go beyond 60 ft without the extra training.
Yeah, I figured the advanced doesn't teach much. I think it's designed to take divers to new limits under supervision and maybe expand on a couple skills. But it's really about comfort level. I was very comfortable diving from the start. I don't think you need a dive master necessarily. It's a matter of staying within your comfort limits and diving with people that you trust and following the rules. Stay with your buddy. Monitor your air. Don't ascend too quickly. Do your safety stops. I was diving to 70 feet pretty much right away because we would be at 60 and I would see something cool a little lower so we would go down and check it out, then come up again. And then it just slowly progressed from there. There's some cool stuff down around 80 feet in some areas that you won't see if you stick to 60. I've slowly worked my way down to 87. But really it's a matter of staying within your comfort zone and remaining calm. I find it easy because I love being underwater and feel pretty comfortable and relaxed.

Quote:
I did mine at ocean pro divers for $280 with a Groupon. I paid an additional $380 for the dry suit certification and a 6 month rental package. Totally worth it.
That's basically what I did too. The 6 month rental package is an awesome deal if you use it. I've been making the most of it and diving one or two days every other week. It's been awesome seeing big wolf eels, shaking hands with octopus, getting face to face with big ling cod, swimming through big schools of perch and minnows, gliding over gardens of anemones...
Old 10-03-2015, 06:13 PM

rishu_pepper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltcreep View Post
The cost is a factor and it's something that if you aren't going to commit to diving locally afterwards, don't buy a lot of gear. Stick with a proper fitting mask. There is nothing more frustrating than having your mask leak constantly on a dive. All your other gear is easily rented and most shops keep it in great shape.
Buying my own mask is what my coworker (I think he has the instructor license) suggests also, and my own snorkel. Should I get the items at the shops or find them online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoh View Post
Ryan, what does a 6 month rental package get you? Seems like Ocean Pro is a good choice with good reviews and a decent price with the Groupon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I don't know much abut the reefs in Japan, but I am SO jealous!!! You're going to see some crazy stuff that can't (legally) be exported from Japan. The only advice I can give is to choose your dive company in Japan carefully, just like anywhere else.
Mindy, I promise to take lots of awesome vids and pics to make you more jealous

Kidding aside, the place we're planning to go is Zamami, an hour's boat ride from Naha, Okinawa. Has anyone dived there or around there?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and advice!

Brian
Old 10-03-2015, 07:32 PM

I buy lots online (don't tell OPD ). You can save lots of money that way, even with the current exchange rates. Leisure Pro is a very good online dealer and Amazon has some good deals too. And there's lots of great deals on used gear when you'e ready to start getting some. The Facebook BC Divers Buy and Sell group is a good one.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:56 PM

I say buy from the dive shop. The same as I advocate buying from your LFS rather than online. Then when you're looking for advice or you run into issues or you're in a pinch they will be happy to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishu_pepper View Post
Ok good! If I can't do it, then I want to live vicariously through you!

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 10-03-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:01 PM

neoh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishu_pepper View Post
Buying my own mask is what my coworker (I think he has the instructor license) suggests also, and my own snorkel. Should I get the items at the shops or find them online?

Ryan, what does a 6 month rental package get you? Seems like Ocean Pro is a good choice with good reviews and a decent price with the Groupon.

Kidding aside, the place we're planning to go is Zamami, an hour's boat ride from Naha, Okinawa. Has anyone dived there or around there?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and advice!
It gets you everything. Mask, snorkel, weights, weight pack, bcd, regs, fins, smb, computer, compass, drysuit, hood, gloves, boots, and tank(s). Everything you need to safely dive. The only thing it does not include is undergarments.

And I too am all about helping the local dive shops. But the reality is, they have ridiculously high margins on their products because they specialize. I've purchased used and new from every dive shop in the Vancouver area. I've done my part. ;D
Old 10-03-2015, 09:08 PM

I'm all for supporting the local dive shops and they got a good chunk of my money for the courses (and will get more) and will also get my money for service and air fills etc. But I'm on a single dad budget and can't afford to buy a bunch of new gear at full Canadian retail prices. So I save where I can buying online or getting deals on used gear from other divers so I can enjoy an activity that I love.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron99 View Post
I'm all for supporting the local dive shops and they got a good chunk of my money for the courses (and will get more) and will also get my money for service and air fills etc. But I'm on a single dad budget and can't afford to buy a bunch of new gear at full Canadian retail prices. So I save where I can buying online or getting deals on used gear from other divers so I can enjoy an activity that I love.
I can appreciate that, and think that buying used is probably your best bet. At least when you buy used equipment you aren't buying from the competition and then asking for help from the local shop. I've bought almost all my reef equipment used because I can't afford the new prices, but I wouldn't even consider buying something new online unless my local shop says they can't get it or don't want to deal with that particular supplier or some such scenario.

SPS fanatic.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:07 PM

rishu_pepper is on a distinguished road

For mask/snorkel, any particular brands/models that you guys would recommend/avoid?

Brian