Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-06-2014, 03:44 AM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

The floor will support your tank however because it will be supported by one beam anytime you get a person walking by you will see a swing in the water I know because I went through it before I would personally add cross bracing and/or a post to help distribute the weight a lil more but the choice is yours to make what ever you decide and good luck with it
Old 04-06-2014, 08:20 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

I have to second gregzz4 on this one. That structure will handle the weight no problem, but your tank will bounce a bit for sure. For $100 of lumber you can sleep better at night.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:37 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

am I missing something, it's only a 6' span, where's all this bouncing coming from? Planning a party between the tank and those side walls?

Last edited by mark; 04-06-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:18 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryancw View Post

for how simple and cheep it would be I would add another one, don't need to go as heavy as the original one as it is supporting your ends of the silent floor system, but you could add one made of two 2x8's .

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:19 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

for how simple and cheep it would be I would add another one, don't need to go as heavy as the original one as it is supporting your ends of the silent floor system, but you could add one made of two 2x8's .

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:29 PM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road

My 125 has 1 single 2x10 under it running length wise may not be ideal but I don't get any movement at all I wish my tank had that support guess I could upgrade but it's not going anywhere.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:10 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

That extra beam will do nothing for stability, the one joist is fine for holding the weight, as others have pointed out it's a short span. If your hardwood was installed correctly (perpendicular to joists) you'd be fine however since for whatever reason it's not there is some potential for a rocking effect over the one joist. Again just to clarify the extra beam you sketched in will do absolutely nothing for this issue. That said there's an easy and simply solution, anchor the stand to the wall. Run a horizontal 2x4, or whatever, and screw to to your studs then screw your stand to that. For best results fill your tank half way and insure it's level before screw the stand to the wall.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:02 PM
Banned

denny_C is on a distinguished road

Like I said little buddy you'll be fine I've seen worse for sure

Really like Steve's idea of fixing stand to the wall behind the tank that's actually genius

Unless its concrete I think all floors have bounce to them , if your worried about your joist you could stitch another on there and add some cross bracing but I don't see any issues with the way it is right now.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:19 PM

Ryancw is on a distinguished road

thanks for all the replies guys. I think im going to try and add another joist in between the black ABS and the HVAC so there are two beneath the tank just for piece of mind. i don't doubt that it will hold the weight the way it is now but i do have gatherings over from time to time and id rather not see the tank rocking under any added weight
Old 04-07-2014, 01:14 AM
Proofed by Wheelman

Cujo#31 is on a distinguished road

IMHO, you have the opportunity to over-engineer and over build now, do it , as much as u think u need, then double it (LMAO) and you will rest easy later happy to never worry about it down the road