Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-28-2011, 03:36 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough
Default Need Major Help With Profilux 2ex issues

I am having some major issues with my Profilux 2ex controller communicating with my laptop. All my USB com ports are numbered as 0 but I need one to be numbered 1, 2, 3 or 4. I need to renumber one of them and cant seen to figure it out. Everytime I plug in the controller I get a message of ' one of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned & windows does not recognize it. '

Micheal from Aqua Digital has been trying to help me and provided me with this link but I dont understand how to do what it is telling me to do.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1913058

Can anyone help me with this.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 05-28-2011, 03:56 AM

Edmonton newbie is on a distinguished road

you at your computer now griz or on your phone?
Old 05-28-2011, 04:00 AM

On my Ipad with laptop right beside me

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
Old 05-29-2011, 02:40 AM

Still looking for a little help.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
Old 05-29-2011, 03:42 PM

rjengen is on a distinguished road

You still stumped? Let me take a look, and if I can't figure it out, I'll go talk to my IT guy tomorrow and have him show me.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:44 PM

rjengen is on a distinguished road

What OS are you running on the laptop bud?
Old 05-29-2011, 04:25 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Not sure I can help much but I'll give it a shot. I have a handheld VHF radio and in order to change the frequencies it operates, I need to hook it up to my notebook through a USB adapter cable since it doesn't have an RS232 port. I needed to download USB to RS232 port emulator to get the Kenwood software to see the radio through the USB connection. The emulator allows a USB port to emulate the RS232 connection. I assume your Profilux comes with the USB cable interface as well & more than likely includes some sort of port emulator? On a side note, I can't figure out why companies are still making hardware with RS232 interfaces, don't think any computer less than 5 years old physically has an RS232 connection.

In any case, when I hook up the radio via the USB interface and open the Kenwood programming software, the Setup menu item allows me to assign a Communication (COM) Port. I still run Win XP on my notebook & the Kenwood software 'Setup' menu brings up a window with a total of 20 COM ports. Two of them end up being selectable COM3 & COM5, the remainder are greyed out. The one that usually works in my case is COM5. No idea if the Profilux software allows you to access the same info but if it does, you can try whatever ports it shows. Failing that, you'll need to get into the Windows Device Manager and try to find the "Ports (COM & LPT)" feature. With the Profilux on & connected, you should see your USB to Serial Comm Port option in there, although since you're getting the 'not recognized' error, your only option might be to find the feature through your Profilux menu somehow. When my radio is hooked up, turned on and I've selected COM5 from the Kenwood software interface 'Setup' menu, I see "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port(COM5)" under "Ports (COM & LPT)" in the Windows Device Manager. This is the USB to RS232 port emulator software I downloaded & installed.

Best of luck. The link provided by the AquaDigital dude isn't all that detailed & not much help. Perhaps it's best to try & get hold of Profilux themselves. Could be that there's a hardware or firmware problem with the Profilux that needs to be fixed.

Last edited by mike31154; 05-29-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:26 PM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

I know when I set up my laptop to work with the profilux I had to find a driver for the USB-RS232 cable as it wasn't native to windows 7.

If yours is the EX version though shouldn't you be able to connect via LAN?
Old 05-29-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjengen View Post
What OS are you running on the laptop bud?
Running XP on both my laptops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Fork View Post
I know when I set up my laptop to work with the profilux I had to find a driver for the USB-RS232 cable as it wasn't native to windows 7.

If yours is the EX version though shouldn't you be able to connect via LAN?
I have know idea about connecting via LAN, are you saying use an Internet cable from the controller to the laptop? I am somewhat computer stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Not sure I can help much but I'll give it a shot. I have a handheld VHF radio and in order to change the frequencies it operates, I need to hook it up to my notebook through a USB adapter cable since it doesn't have an RS232 port. I needed to download USB to RS232 port emulator to get the Kenwood software to see the radio through the USB connection. The emulator allows a USB port to emulate the RS232 connection. I assume your Profilux comes with the USB cable interface as well & more than likely includes some sort of port emulator? On a side note, I can't figure out why companies are still making hardware with RS232 interfaces, don't think any computer less than 5 years old physically has an RS232 connection.

In any case, when I hook up the radio via the USB interface and open the Kenwood programming software, the Setup menu item allows me to assign a Communication (COM) Port. I still run Win XP on my notebook & the Kenwood software 'Setup' menu brings up a window with a total of 20 COM ports. Two of them end up being selectable COM3 & COM5, the remainder are greyed out. The one that usually works in my case is COM5. No idea if the Profilux software allows you to access the same info but if it does, you can try whatever ports it shows. Failing that, you'll need to get into the Windows Device Manager and try to find the "Ports (COM & LPT)" feature. With the Profilux on & connected, you should see your USB to Serial Comm Port option in there, although since you're getting the 'not recognized' error, your only option might be to find the feature through your Profilux menu somehow. When my radio is hooked up, turned on and I've selected COM5 from the Kenwood software interface 'Setup' menu, I see "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port(COM5)" under "Ports (COM & LPT)" in the Windows Device Manager. This is the USB to RS232 port emulator software I downloaded & installed.

Best of luck. The link provided by the AquaDigital dude isn't all that detailed & not much help. Perhaps it's best to try & get hold of Profilux themselves. Could be that there's a hardware or firmware problem with the Profilux that needs to be fixed.
All my com ports are labeled as com0 and can't figure out what happened, there was one that was com4 but don't have it anymore.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
Old 05-29-2011, 07:05 PM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

Yeah, if you have a LAN port on the profilux you can connect it via an internet cable to your laptop. Not sure of the details as I don't have the LAN connection on my profilux.