Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-07-2010, 05:09 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road
Default Herbie help

So i am helping a buddy do a herbie on his system never have done this before so i have some questions. He has dual overflows, i am going to run a 1.5" bulkhead with a strainer as the syphon line with the gate valve and the 1" on one side as emergency. But he has dual overflows should i have 2 emergency drains with one a little higher than the other or just plug off one of the 1.5 " hole as i am using the other 1" for the return pump. To tune then just open the gate valve all the way and close it till its quite? Drain above or below water line ? The emergency drains just below where water enters overflow or a ways down? Thanks Should add going to be running a 2000 gph pump or so

360 Reef Tank
Old 12-07-2010, 05:19 AM

George is on a distinguished road

Emergency drain (E drain) should be as big as main drain if not bigger. The purpose of the emergency drain is to handle ALL of the flow of the main drain when it gets completely clogged.
E drain should be complete dry in a true herbie system (where there is no water flowing in it normally, only when the main drain is clogged then water should enter the E drain). So E drain should be higher than your water line.
Tune whatever way you want until the E drain is above the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTang<3 View Post
So i am helping a buddy do a herbie on his system never have done this before so i have some questions. He has dual overflows, i am going to run a 1.5" bulkhead with a strainer as the syphon line with the gate valve and the 1" on one side as emergency. But he has dual overflows should i have 2 emergency drains with one a little higher than the other or just plug off one of the 1.5 " hole as i am using the other 1" for the return pump. To tune then just open the gate valve all the way and close it till its quite? Drain above or below water line ? The emergency drains just below where water enters overflow or a ways down? Thanks Should add going to be running a 2000 gph pump or so
Old 12-07-2010, 05:45 AM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't plug up the other drain, having two E-drains is just extra insurance!
Old 12-07-2010, 05:47 AM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road

I just converted my duroso over to a herbie and it's GREAT now that it's done... setting it up was an adventure. I had to throttle my return back a bit since my single herbie return took less water than my dual duroso's.
I set up my emergancy drain at the max height i wanted water in my tank, then closed off the gate valve on the other return until the water got just to that mark. seemed to work fairly smooth, i don't know why i didn't do this on my last tank, it' so quiet....

The limiting factor on my return was not the drain itself, it was the overflow. I plan on replacing the grooved acrylic with eggcrate to get more water through, but it's something to watch for if you are planning a big return pump.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:23 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

I'm running a Herbie with dual overflows but concern is water going stale in the second chamber. Getting around it by flowing some water through the emergency drain but check out using a Bean.

This thread has some info but also references back to the main Bean thread on RC.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:03 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

If you have dual overflows the best way to setup a herbie is to link two the identical overflow setups together. Each overflow should have one siphon and one emergency. Essentially this means each overflow needs to be identical. The siphon and emergency can be as simple as a straight pipe from the bulkhead to the top of the overflow. The siphon should go around ¾” of the way up and the emergency should be just above the target water level in the overflow box. With the inside of the overflow done move onto the outside plumbing. Tee the two siphon drains together and then install a single gate valve so the one valve will control the water level in both overflow boxes, pressure and simple physics will insure the levels in both overflows are identical. Next either tee both emergency drains together or leave them separate, doesn’t matter as long as they are both get plumbed to the sump in some way.

To adjust open the valve all the way, set your return pump to the desired flow rate, slowly close the gate valve in intervals and wait for equilibrium. Keep adjusting until the water level in the overflow box is at the desired level which should be just below the emergency drain.

Also the emergency drain size does not technically have to be larger than the siphon as long as if you close the gate valve completely the emergency can keep up it can be any size you want. Personally I would tee both 1” drains into a 1.5” tee and then attached a 1.5” gate valve and use that for the primary but it’s whatever you’re most comfortable with provided it works.

Another option is to use durso or another type of standpipe in place of the emergency drain. It will still function the same, however you’ll notice over time a herbie isn’t that consistent and requires adjustment from time to time. Using the standpipes in place of the emergency will give you a little more tolerance as even if a little water starts to go down the emergency it will remain fairly quiet.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:16 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
...you’ll notice over time a herbie isn’t that consistent and requires adjustment from time to time. Using the standpipes in place of the emergency will give you a little more tolerance as even if a little water starts to go down the emergency it will remain fairly quiet.
Ya, my Herbie needs adjustment every once in awhile, and anytime I clean the pump or strainers. Finding the exact balance I have found to be nearly impossible, it will only last a day or two and then it will get out of whack and you will get air in the Herbie line and it creates a loud sucking sound. Then you adjust it, and some goes down the e-drain.

Anyway...I find it operates the best (easiest, quietest) when you have a trickle going down the e-drain. For that reason, I keep the e-drain submerged so there isn't a tinkle sound. If the Herbie gets plugged and all the flow is going down the e-drain or at least a large portion it will have that loud sucking sound too, so you don't have to worry about not hearing it when you submerge the e-drain.

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:00 PM

rjengen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Ya, my Herbie needs adjustment every once in awhile, and anytime I clean the pump or strainers. Finding the exact balance I have found to be nearly impossible, it will only last a day or two and then it will get out of whack and you will get air in the Herbie line and it creates a loud sucking sound. Then you adjust it, and some goes down the e-drain.

Anyway...I find it operates the best (easiest, quietest) when you have a trickle going down the e-drain. For that reason, I keep the e-drain submerged so there isn't a tinkle sound. If the Herbie gets plugged and all the flow is going down the e-drain or at least a large portion it will have that loud sucking sound too, so you don't have to worry about not hearing it when you submerge the e-drain.
Are you using a gate valve, knife valve, or a quarter turn valve? I haven't adjusted my herbie since this spring & I'm using a 1.5" spears gate valve. If the water level goes up in my overflow I know it's time to change a filter sock. Something I wish I would have done when I built my tank though, is added at least one more hole in the overflow, so I could run wires in through it for my lights and simu-sticks...next tank I will do this! I kinda think having flow go through your E-drain kinda defeats the purpose of the herbie...but that's just a noobs thought.