Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Controller and Monitoring Specific

Old 01-02-2011, 04:53 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

I just meant not a lot of the supports had posted in this thread. Then I noticed Tom and rjengen posts
Old 01-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McK View Post
I just meant not a lot of the supports had posted in this thread. Then I noticed Tom and rjengen posts
Oh, ya. I guess it's a money thing. I have never heard a bad comment about Profilux, other than most of us can't afford one

and within the realm of what most people need, there are comparable units at a lot less money. For my needs, I would need to buy the beginner III pack and a second powerbar, which putsit out of my price range. The Apex, with identical features is $691 cheaper. That's a lot of other stuff I can buy.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:02 PM

rjengen is on a distinguished road

It's like bikes...some people are happy riding around on their honda's, while there are some of us that love to ride around on our harley's...they both get you to where you're going...only one costs a little more, and sounds better
Old 01-02-2011, 06:21 PM

mr.wilson is on a distinguished road

The Vertex Cerebra is just a CAD drawing, so I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. You will see a touch screen from the other players before that one ever makes it to market. A proprietary touch screen isn't the smart way to go, when you can buy an Ipad for $550, or an HP Slate in Stir Crazy's case

If your short term and longterm needs are limited (PH, temp, ORP, ATO, lighting), then buy a Reefkeeper. If you have a larger system with a calcium reactor, prop pumps, or any other 0-10V devices then go with Apex, and if you don't mind paying double the cost and can't do it with Apex, then Profilux is the smart choice.

All of these manufacturers have very confusing or at least vague, product lists and descriptions. Be prepared for surprise extra costs for modules, expansion boxes, power bars, level sensors, calibration solutions, software, and solenoids.

If you like tech gear, then any of these are well worth the investment. If you are not technically inclined, then buy dedicated control devices. Sometimes it is convenient to carry all of your eggs in one basket, while other times... how does the saying go again?
Old 01-02-2011, 06:39 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Oh, ya. I guess it's a money thing. I have never heard a bad comment about Profilux, other than most of us can't afford one
I have a Profilux on my system and if it broke today I would not buy another one. Once everything is set up and I don't have to touch it, it isn't so bad. However, if I ever need to do anything with the controller, that is use the interface, I cringe. It is the worst piece of software I have ever used. Crashes at least once a session. Sometimes doesn't even connect with the controller. Very frustrating. To keep the controller up to date it is recommended that you update the firmware frequently. This exercise is like hammering nails into your foot. Painful. The iPhone app for the Profilux? Not even officially supported by GHL. It is a third party app that someone wrote that hooks into a third party website (which is also not officially supported by GHL). You have to give that website complete control of your Profilux (ie, login ID, and Password) so that the iPhone app can proxy through it. The iPhone app does not directly communicate with the Profilux head unit which is pretty lame if you ask me.

The Profilux is a very powerful controller, but comes with its own sets of issues. I would personally not buy another one.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:09 PM

amoreira is on a distinguished road

>So far the only function the Apex apparently can't do(within my reqs) is create lightning effects...not something I desire on my setup.

I've got an LED AquaIllumination system on order (Xmas present, drool, drool) and Apex has a module that will interface to the AI system. It does support weather events, clouds and lightning. Anyways, I don't think that's so important, as the moon cycles and sunrise/sunset simulations.
180 gal tank, 50 gal sump, PM RFCa6 Ca Reactor, SWC Extreme 250 1A Cone Skimmer, Tunz Osmolator ATOF, Aquacontroller Apex, Aquaillumination Sol Super Blue 6 x 75w Units, Acros/Softies/LPS/Mushrooms/Zoos, Purple/Powder Blue/Yellow Tang/3xBlue Chromis/2xTomato Clown/Lawnmower Blenny
Old 01-02-2011, 07:13 PM

amoreira is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy View Post
In my opinion the Osmolator is really only reliable for smaller systems because it will only run for 10 minutes max and then shuts down with no reset. Once the 10 minute cycle ends & the light goes red & you need to reset it manually by unplugging it. A royal pain for a larger system, I only use mine as a back up unit.
Yeah, it's a pain in the rear end and the pump is not that reliable. I've had to replace 2 that burnt out. I also made the mistake of unplugging it 1 too many times from the plug in to the unit (not the wall) and it's loosely connected to the unit often failing to give it power.

I'm thinking of switching to s a simple float switch and a proper top off pump.
180 gal tank, 50 gal sump, PM RFCa6 Ca Reactor, SWC Extreme 250 1A Cone Skimmer, Tunz Osmolator ATOF, Aquacontroller Apex, Aquaillumination Sol Super Blue 6 x 75w Units, Acros/Softies/LPS/Mushrooms/Zoos, Purple/Powder Blue/Yellow Tang/3xBlue Chromis/2xTomato Clown/Lawnmower Blenny
Old 01-02-2011, 07:17 PM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

I have a Profilux controller but have not taken the time to figure it all out yet. Although that said I personally find their instructions rather "user unfriendly" but I'm not a computer buff. I just use mine for dosing, ph & temp measurements at the moment but plan to expand in the near future. I'll take a look at the link Jason sent, maybe with some help I can start utilizing it better.

Greg
Old 01-02-2011, 08:25 PM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoreira View Post
Yeah, it's a pain in the rear end and the pump is not that reliable. I've had to replace 2 that burnt out. I also made the mistake of unplugging it 1 too many times from the plug in to the unit (not the wall) and it's loosely connected to the unit often failing to give it power.

I'm thinking of switching to s a simple float switch and a proper top off pump.
That's what I did except I just use an old powerhead to kickstart the flow after I empty my fresh water holding tank doing salt mix for a water change, once I get the flow running again I unplug the powerhead and just let it syphon through it, works quite well.
I don't remember the brand name but I bought from Marine Aquaria in Edmonton.

Greg
Old 01-02-2011, 08:40 PM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

My Profilux came with a couple of optical sensors. I use the controller to switch on and off the R/O water with a solenoid from Autotopoff.com ($32.00) You can set the solenoid to switch off after how ever many hours you like to prevent over filling.
I agree that the Osmolator is best for smaller systems.