Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: Do you smoke in your house?
YES 17 9.94%
NO 150 87.72%
I have never considered that this may effect my tank Chemistry. 9 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2010, 07:37 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Beside smoking being some of the most stupid thing humans can do, I don't smoke (quit) and I don't let anyone either smoke in my house. Off topic but I wish that smokers would not throw their cigarette butt everywhere in the environment like they do, as if it would mysteriously evaporate on its own. They create more pollution all together than all the oil spill.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:39 PM

viperfish is on a distinguished road

Holy crap, I missed reading this one! There's a kid that hates his father (even though he probably wouldn't have the things he has now if it weren't for him), some gal that thinks cigarette butts cause more damage than the Gulf of Mexico! I think we need to call Jerry Springer. I'll tell you one thing that's worst on your health than cigarettes, STRESS, and some of the non smokers here seem pretty high strung. To the Kid with the righteous attitude; we all have our vices, and no one is perfect. I think you'll find (after you get a few years under your belt) that everyone has a little sinful enjoyment that they shouldn't be doing but that's what makes us human. I couldn't imagine living life being a chronic worrier about all things health and environmental related, and hating everyone that weren't the model human being. Focus on the good things (you can still be responsible about the environment) around you and you may not live a terribly long life but at least it will be a good one. I see a kid who has had a serious "hate on" for his parents, you my friend are wasting precious time. Even the young and healthy can develop life threatening illnesses, and those "evil" people that have nasty habits can live a long life so leave it at that and don't be so miserable!

Wait a second... what the heck does this have to do with smoking and skimmers LMAO! Oh well just my 2 cents.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:47 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

We smoke a cigar or two once and awhile in one room in the basement. So far one, or two cigars over the course of a month or two seems to have no impact whatsoever on our skimmer.

Although I think an effective case could be made against the smell of skimmate being hazardous for your health. That or its an amazing diet product; smell that skimmate? Now think of eating?

When people say that smoking, or large numbers of people impact their skimmer performance, what exactly are you seeing/experiencing? Do you think its just related to the higher CO2 presence?
Old 10-20-2010, 01:49 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

My wife likes to smoke with a drink from time to time. I like to "rig" her smokes (lighter flint )and give them away whenever I have the chance. The wife just puts up with my antics because she has no other choice besides quitting which she chooses not to do.

I hate the smell of them and i also almost lost a couple friendships because of it. In high school my buddies used to smoke in my parents car on the way to a party all the time and i told them not to countless times. I got in some serious trouble for it and one idiot even burnt a hole in the seat. I got back at them though - i took up smoking for a single month and would out cigarettes on their carpets and seats purposely. I am a reasonable person to a certain extent - then i can get mean

Now that i have kids and my own house my friends are more respectful of my wishes and i have been somewhat accommodating too. I set up a smoke area in my back yard with a couple enclosed ashtrays that i make THEM empty once every couple of months. No one is allowed to smoke so my kids can see them and if any butts are left outside of the ashtray its the wifes job to clean em up cause it definitely wasn't me and you can sure as hell bet she was out there with them when they were having a "Drag".

Smoking in your own house is so trash - dont even try to tell me it isnt . Good luck on ripping out all of your carpets/repainting every surface in your home if you ever decide to sell it. Smoking cost way to much money - you might as well just spend it on your tank or put it an education fund for your kids.

ok now that i got that off my chest...

Back on topic - smoking probably does affect your tank parameters. I read that some tanks have crashed from people using aerosol cleaning products in the same room as the tank so smoking shouldn't be much different. Do it outside if you can I guess - or in your bathroom with a window/fan on if its "not an option" No point in risking it especially since most of us have thousands of dollars invested in our setups.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:59 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
It's 2010. I would be surprised to see that anyone would admit smoking tobacco products in their home.
This may be the most ridculous comment you have made to date, but I can't be sure...

can you eloborate on that?
I'd love to know what judgement you're passing on people and the basis for it...
Old 10-20-2010, 02:42 PM

rjengen is on a distinguished road

I use a vapourizer all the time downstairs to assist in my anger management treatments and have always wondered what it would be like, to be a fish, and have a hit off my vapourizer...what a trip! I
Old 10-20-2010, 06:10 PM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road

*lights cigarette*

I imagine heavy smoking around a tank would affect it, but I'm thinking HEAVY smoking...like a pack.

BUT here's my stand on the whole "smokers are bad" issue. *drag on smoke* Yes, its a vice and an addiction, yes alot of us who smoke realize its bad for our health. I like to think I am a considerate smoker though. Before lighting a smoke in someone else's house or car etc I always ask if it's okay with them...but in my house, damn right I smoke....it's MY house. I have opened windows/doors etc and stood outside in my own place though if I have guests over who it bothers. I also smoke alot when I'm drawing or painting...I think that comes with the territory of tattoing though...alot of tattoers smoke.

When I was in the hospital for 2 months due to heart attacks (long story)...they weaned me down...not off. To quit cold turkey would have caused too much stress on my system the doctors said...not to mention that 4 out of 5 of my regular nurses and my heart surgeon smoke as well. Yes, I have cut down alot....used to smoke damn near 2 packs a day and now am about a pack every 3 days or so...but whatever. It might just be my weird outlook, but the way I see it, I've died already (was dead for 8 minutes and in ICU for a week after that) and they STILL gave me 10mg of nicotine a day...weird.... Also, I know some old time tattoers (we're talking people who have been tattooing 30+ years) who when they thought about quitting their docs told them the same thing...they have been smoking for so long that to quit would probably cause more harm than good...they have all cut down, but still smoke.

My great uncle turned 100 in May. I asked him why he thinks he's lived so long. His answer: "I drink 3 glasses of wine a day, smoke a pack a day, and mow my own lawn"....

I also know of people who AFTER they quit for a number of years had more health problems than when they were smoking

(end long, useless rambling rant with really no point at all)
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:55 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

well my favy part of this thread so far is how opinionative some people are...

did you ever stop tho think hat these people that smoke in your cars a and houses without asking are just a$$holes? smoking doesnt make you inconsiderate... some people are just... well you know and this has nothing to with smoking or not it is a personallity trait... quit blaming the good people at players and de maurier for you friends short coming s as a person...

PS what are you non smokers going to when we smokers rebel and start taking over the world... keep pushing us into a corner and it will happen..

and is my throwing a butt out my car window really any worse for the envirnment than the non smoker who drives a car that burns more oil than gas??????????
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:46 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

It's unfortunate that this thread deteriorated into a discussion on whether smoking was unhealthy or socially acceptable in your own home when it was really meant to be about whether is has an undesirable affect on your reef tank.

Who here doesn't do something detrimental to your health? You may not smoke but how may Baconators do you eat a week? You may eat healthy but you strap on a parachute and jump out of planes on weekends. Unless you live in a bubble it's all about acceptable risk. Smokers accept the risks of smoking. Surfers accept the risks of surfing. This isn't a conversation around the effects of smoking and children, the elderly or smoking in public. It's about the affect smoking has on reef tanks....

Last edited by Parker; 10-20-2010 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Fat Finger Disease
Old 10-20-2010, 07:53 PM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
It's unfortunate that this thread deteriorated into a discussion on whether smoking was unhealthy or socially acceptable in your own home when it was really meant to be about whether is has an undesirable affect on your reef tank.

Who here doesn't do something detrimental to your health? You may not smoke but how may Baconators do you eat a week? You may eat healthy but you strap on a parachute and jump out of planes on weekends. Unless you live in a bubble it's all about acceptable risk. Smokers accept the risks of smoking. Surfers accepts the risks of surfing. This isn't a conversation around the effects of smoking and children, the elderly or smoking in public. It's about affect smoking has on reef tanks....
well said Parker....mmmmm baconators.
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.