Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 10-31-2011, 12:28 AM

Steve-O- is on a distinguished road
Default My 20x20x18 Cube build

Well after my tank crash i decided to start over grabbing frags from where ever i could. I built my own tank its 20x20x18 with coast to coast bean overflow. There is still tons of work to be done on my system. I am currently waiting for my LED Project too arrive and my reefkeeper.
I am using a MP10 for this tank and i am in love with it (( THANKS TO Smudge!!! )). Thanks for this purchase everything looks so natural in how the water moves.
So here it is everything is moved to the tank sorry for the crappy pictures also adding the black acylic backing and overflow cover.

BTW The carpet nem was a bitch to move too 30min of light tugs and pulls till he released

Last edited by Steve-O-; 10-31-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:44 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

looks pretty spiffy......your not worried that a carpet nem might be "wall to wall carpeting" in a tank that size?
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 10-31-2011, 03:00 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Looks good Steve O, how did all my measurements work out for you? Hope I didn't have a brain fart and mess up .

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 10-31-2011, 04:43 AM

Was great grizz! Big thanks again for all you help on that. The glass compant messed up on 2 edges but i put them on the top. Other then that your measurements where perfect!.

So side note after the move my cat ate my flame angel! Looks like i need mesh now. The problem when i feed my fish by hand they come to the surface for the cat sigh.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
looks pretty spiffy......your not worried that a carpet nem might be "wall to wall carpeting" in a tank that size?
I had him in a 75g before then he was in a 10g for 2months and was ok. But i keep my eye on him thats for sure and yes i do get worried but my clowns are in love with it so it is hard to part with
Old 10-31-2011, 05:13 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Whew that's a relief that I got it right for you That sucks about the flame, bad kitty Looks like you need a screen top.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 11-08-2011, 08:51 PM

Been slow but everything is coming along with my build. My tank is doing great little messy all around it but hey things still aren't done.
Waiting on my skimmer and reefkeeper system to get her pretty excited about that hope my sump will be in soon once i foam under the tank.

So here is my LED build cost me mmmm $270 Bought all my stuff from rapid LED. Only cost that much because customs dinged me like $40.

For the housing i bought 2 plastic trays from princessauto. Used Heavy duty zap straps for the eye hooks and hinge at the rear. Had some old zapstrap hold downs i cut one end out to make my lens cover holder no i can slide in and out some acrylic for cleaning.
I drilled holes in the picture per light but scrapped it and just cut out larger holes easier if i have issues down the road.
Final pics are the testing on the unit still have to add all the sides and front. As well as fans on the top and front quick release clip.

I have to say today first day of running the new led system everything is thriving you can see it in every coral!!! The shimmer and glow is amazing as well i am so proud of this build and how well it looks.

Last edited by Steve-O-; 11-08-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:55 PM

yellowworld is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-O- View Post

For the housing i bought 2 plastic trays from princessauto.

What are those tray's for? they kinda look like a battery tray but I'm sure they wouldn't make them out of plastic.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:56 PM

jostafew is on a distinguished road

Hey just a quick comment on those LEDs, my appologies if I missed a comment somewhere but you're going to want to expose those heat sinks or get a fan running in there or your expensive LEDs will be burnt out in no time! Those heat sinks need to be exposed to fresh air to dissipate the heat that the LEDs produce. Covering them up with the back panel won't allow any air to circulate and they'll overheat for sure.

Now that that's done, nice cube! That's about the size that I'd like to do when my main tank gets to be too easy and it's time for another challenge hahaha
Old 11-08-2011, 11:31 PM

there is complete airflow from front to back and i have holes up top to push out air just haven't bought the fans yet. The tray where just in a random spot in princess auto no idea i was gonna use a laptop cooler but they sold out