Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 06-06-2013, 12:25 AM

Alberta-newb is on a distinguished road
Question Electronics Experts? Random question on pumps

Wondering if someone knows of a way of controlling the new DC pumps (Waveline, SpeedWave, etc) in a manner like the Vortechs? I'm doing a new tank build and would like to run a couple of closed loop systems using this style of pump. I run one on a current tank and like the clean look but love the programmable modes and random flow of the MP40 on my other tank. Is there anything on the market or has someone DIYed something? I have a spare MP40 controller and as the Vortech is also 24V DC it got me wondering if I could rewire/build something. :-)

Francis
Old 06-06-2013, 02:10 AM

KrazyKuch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to KrazyKuch

Anything can be DIY'ed when it comes to dc pumps, they are very easy to do variable speed on...that said I havent looked into the controlers for the dc pumps yet to see if their is some minor changes that could be done.....im pretty sure i read a thread on RC were someone was using the control fore the vortechs to run their dc pumps....ill see if i can find that link...

Kevin
Old 06-06-2013, 02:25 AM

neoh is on a distinguished road

are you looking for a return pump or a wavemaker?

the speedwave dc does come with a controller for changing speeds, but of course does not have anything like the vortech. I use a Jabao wp40 wavemaker that is pretty well a Chinese knockoff of the Vortech MP series and comes with a controller that does the same thing, it works pretty well, and you can find them for around $100, or even less for the wp25.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoh View Post
are you looking for a return pump or a wavemaker?

the speedwave dc does come with a controller for changing speeds, but of course does not have anything like the vortech. I use a Jabao wp40 wavemaker that is pretty well a Chinese knockoff of the Vortech MP series and comes with a controller that does the same thing, it works pretty well, and you can find them for around $100, or even less for the wp25.
I'm looking to create random flow patterns on a closed loop system (separate from my return) I'm using a SpeedWave right now on a closed loop but would like to have similar "pulsing" like that achieved with WP40, Mp40,etc.. Without having a pump in the tank.

KrazyKuch: I've been searching RC as well but that forum is so huge that searches take days! I would love to use my spare Vortech controller, just a lot more wires than a SpeedWave pump. I'm sure a lot of them can be eliminated but I need to study how they actually operate.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:47 AM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road

Yep

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96980
Old 06-06-2013, 03:35 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

While the pulsing mode on the VorTechs is pretty cool and has its benefits, it's also harder on the pump than running it in the other modes which ramp the speed up & down more gradually. If you decide to proceed with using a VorTech controller, make sure it can handle the power requirements of the pump you're hooking it up to, otherwise you risk cooking the transistor(s) inside the controller. You already own VorTech, so you likely know they're capable of the most varied flow pattern when you run multiple pumps with the controllers communicating with each other. It will be difficult to replicate that with a single pump.

Not sure you've heard about 'Oceans Motions', & I don't have personal experience with one, but one of those might be a better option. It's simply a manifold on your pump plumbing outside the tank with a rotating cylinder that delivers the flow alternately to different outputs.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Not sure you've heard about 'Oceans Motions', & I don't have personal experience with one, but one of those might be a better option. .
Talk with Paul if you deside to go this route, he has a million ideas and can help you figure out what you need.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:14 PM

Thank you all for the insightful discussion. I'm going to continue looking into my options, I just like the idea of the controllability the DC pumps provide. Looks like a lot of DIY projects out there with similar ideas. Just a matter of finding out what works well and pros and cons of each. I'll keep you all posted, I just hated the idea of a Vortech controller rolling around my drawer unused ;-)

I'll look into the ocean motions as well, and the use of eductors on the outlets.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta-newb View Post
Thank you all for the insightful discussion. I'm going to continue looking into my options, I just like the idea of the controllability the DC pumps provide. Looks like a lot of DIY projects out there with similar ideas. Just a matter of finding out what works well and pros and cons of each. I'll keep you all posted, I just hated the idea of a Vortech controller rolling around my drawer unused ;-)

I'll look into the ocean motions as well, and the use of eductors on the outlets.
Im control through my profilux, but im sure it would be easy enough to try some other controller. Do you have a controller at all? Or are you looking for a stand alone type deal.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:27 PM

KrazyKuch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to KrazyKuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Codfather View Post
thats the one i was thinking about...thought it was on RC though!

Kevin

Tags
pump, speedwave, vortech