Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Controller and Monitoring Specific

Old 05-10-2015, 04:08 AM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
And while testing, I just wiped my entire unit. Nice.
Du'oh!
Old 05-10-2015, 04:44 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
Du'oh!
Ya, it was a fun afternoon. Not.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:54 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

I have Shaw. Just changed the temp setting on the email alert and got an email immediately. So mine is still working, at least at this moment.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:41 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

The thread suggests you should get 2 if you're using fusion. One from base unit, one from fusion. No?

I do get emails, but the From is from Fusion, not my Shaw account.

While I can use Shaw fine on port 25, I cannot send a test from Apex
Old 05-10-2015, 03:59 PM
Just a guy..

I set up a smtp2go account, that works from base, so whatever worked for shaw before doesn't now.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:59 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

I just get one email. I have my delay set to 60 min, so I don't get flooded with emails if I do have a problem. I just use my regular Shaw email account for the FROM, but have the TO email go to my yahoo account. And I use 587.

However, I am not on Fusion as I never did that firmware upgrade. Should I? I have a lot of my own programming set up with all my outlets, and would hate to have something screw up and have to redo it all, or worse. Not sure what Fusion gives me that I don't have now, or need.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:10 PM
Just a guy..

Fusion is a nice upgrade. It gives you tracking and a better interface on mobile devices, available from a URL. Just have a backup in case anything goes sideways. I'm sure it has other things I can't think of, but overall, worth having.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:41 PM

Simons is on a distinguished road

I have it now set up to send email and text alerts from Fusion, I never did before because I was assuming I would be getting them from the Apex base units themselves.

I have since set up the free SMTP email on both my units and configured email and txt messaging from Fusion. I like redundancy and this way I should be receiving notifications from both sources in the future is something happens.

Very frustrating that Shaw without notice, is pulling the plug on SMTP I would imagine there are many people that have email addresses and settings configured for SMTP on lots of different devices.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:33 PM

Reyphox is on a distinguished road

Shaw is not pulling the plug on SMTP. Most of the Shaw representatives have zero clue about anything and read of a screen, that or they simply offer a solution that would work and say it's has to be that's way to save time on trouble shooting. The reason it stopped working is simply because the setup was not bullet proof. Because I don't know what the provider of the sending address the was I will provide the two most likely reason why it had stopped working and the solutions, one of which the Shaw representative did offer but gave a stupid explaination why.

Scenario #1:

Emails bounced of Shaw SMTP server with a Shaw domain sender address. This is a simple one. Shaw allows you to send unauthenticated emails of their SMTP server on port 25. Reasons for sent emails are either too many none authenticated emails are being sent, the Shaw address is spoofed or Shaw has updated spam filters ( usually makes them more aggressive ) resulting in the emails being tossed on the server end.

The solution is simple, just have the apex login to Shaw before sending which does require SSL. This is what the representative offered but they explained the reason poorly.

Scenario #2:

Emails bounced of Shaw SMTP server with a Gmail ( or other providers ) domain sender address. This issue is rather decieving because you think it's Shaw when it's not. In actuality it's gmail blocking the email. Here is why. Google and other providers such as Microsoft have updated SPF records indicating that any email sent with their domain must be sent thru their servers. So when you bounce an email that looks like it's sent of an Gmail address thru a Shaw server, google flags it as spam and either places it in junk or eventually tosses them before you even recieved it.

Again the solution is rather simple, have the machine login to gmail ( or whatever the provider is ) instead of Shaw and the problem is resolved.

One other solution for both:

Another solution as mentioned by another poster is to use a 3rd party email relay service such as SMTP2GO. This still breaks SPF rules but the emails should never be completely filtered because 3rd party relays are trusted and run thier own filters so worst case scenario your emails get placed in junk but but never completely filtered out. And usually the 3rd party relay gives you notifications in thier control panel if some of your emails are being suspected as junk so you can rectify the problem before it gets worse.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2023, 05:27 PM

Lesteraction is on a distinguished road

I am pretty perplexed because I am not uninitiated with networking or port forwarding, etc. The only thing I noticed is that my probe's temperature can drop below the alert setting when I change the water because it is out of the water. I also noted that neither an email nor a text message notified me of this. I performed testing on my other tank, and sure enough, I am seeing the same problem there.