Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Freshwater > Ponds & Koi

Old 08-06-2014, 07:20 PM

jason604 is on a distinguished road
Default Not related to reefing BUT I need HELP

For the past week we been noticing more raccoon behavior around my koi pond than normal. They use to just come n take baths on the small stream we made to lead to the pond. We have a mesh covering the whole thing so it's never been a problem until recently that they smartened up n tore the net in certain areas that gives them easy access to the pond. Yestersay my dad notice one of our 12" koi was acting weird n there was a tear in the mesh n the water reaked so we fishes him out to medicate him thinking he's sick. Then today he died and after inspection we saw teeth puncture wounds on the underside of his belly!! Does any1 know of a good way to repel raccoon. We got a lot of high end koi fishes in our pond and would hate to see more go like that. Currently pointing a motion sensor light in the direction of the pond but that doesn't seem to scare them.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:27 PM

nerdz is on a distinguished road

I recall hearing of people using electric fences.... you can go to Princess Auto or a agricultural supply type store.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:32 PM

tlhood is on a distinguished road

some people deter them with ammonia, vinegar, epsom salts, moth balls...

Apparently they hate the smell of moth balls (which are toxic to small animals) and ammonia (soaked in a sponge or open bottle), and epsom salts (which apparently also help fertilize grass).

We don't have any racoons around here so I wouldn't know if these actually work. I believe there are also commercially sold racoon repellants.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

You could get a big dog!
Old 08-06-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
You could get a big dog!
My big dog died last year =(. I got small dogs so poisons will be a nono. I can try hanging some bags of moth balls around the tank. My tank is about 18'x10' so I would need a ton of those electric fences n my pond would look hideous after. Any1 else have experience with getting rid of these jerks!!
Old 08-06-2014, 09:24 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

Raccoons can do a lot of damage to a big dog. I wouldn't recommend a dog for raccoons.

Since raccoons are also a threat to your small dogs you may want to find out where they are getting into your yard and seal it off. You may need to run a hot wire on the top of any fencing to keep them out. They are very good climbers.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:36 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
Raccoons can do a lot of damage to a big dog. I wouldn't recommend a dog for raccoons.

Since raccoons are also a threat to your small dogs you may want to find out where they are getting into your yard and seal it off. You may need to run a hot wire on the top of any fencing to keep them out. They are very good climbers.
+1. Best is to keep them out of the yard period. Or invest in a large pet eagle and let nature take it's course.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumdown View Post
+1. Best is to keep them out of the yard period. Or invest in a large pet eagle and let nature take it's course.
Lol that be so sick!!! I heard that they are scared of chayote urine. Anyone no where I can buy some of the synthic spray version?
Old 08-06-2014, 10:01 PM

toytech is on a distinguished road

Paint ball guns are quiet and deter a lot of things , wont kill them either , would recommend a 22 cal pellet gun but racoons aren't really good eating .
Old 08-06-2014, 10:06 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Google 'CFHS', lots of good info on discouraging raccoons and other nuicense wildlife. I'd provide a link but my phone can't copy and paste.