Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish > Seahorse

Old 03-09-2012, 07:00 PM

Chooki11 is on a distinguished road
Default Seahorse acting weird.

I have 2 seahorse in my tank, they have been in the tank for 6ish months now. They are both starting to swim upside down bang into things more and doing loop de loops, sometimes the one goes right to the surface and sits there on its side (I've thought it was dead a few times, it was breathing and swims around when I get close to the tank). Is this normal or is something happening I'm not seeing?
Thanks for any info!
Old 03-09-2012, 07:04 PM

FitoPharmer is on a distinguished road

http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/GBD.shtml
Old 03-09-2012, 07:15 PM

Thank you Fito that's exactly what it looks like. However other then the shutting the skimmer off it doesn't say what anti biotics to use.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:18 PM

mexxedm is on a distinguished road
Default Do couple of tests

My seahorses were like that before they die. After they died, I realized that my water temperature was too hot for it. So do couple tests:
- Temperature tests, should be less than or equal 77F.
- Water column checking. If you top off with water, they might act like that for couple minutes.
Something is not right when they act that way.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:54 PM

FitoPharmer is on a distinguished road

I cannot give you any more help unfortunately, since I have never kept seahorses. I can only suggest you do a search online for the problem.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:27 PM

Thanks for everything. I went to my LFS and they suggested Immuno Vital. Hopefully it works!
Old 03-09-2012, 10:26 PM

rayjay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooki11 View Post
Thanks for everything. I went to my LFS and they suggested Immuno Vital. Hopefully it works!
I'm sorry but that isn't going to work.
You haven't said if they are a pair or are two males or two females.
If both are males, it can be due to pouch emphysema and usual treatment is to evacuate the gas from the pouch holding it vertical and using something like a rubber tipped bobby pin to open the pouch to allow for the escape. If the problem persists, try a flush with fresh salt water matching the pH, s.g., and temperature of the tank water. If it still persists, flush with a diamox solution.
If not pouch emphysema, and they have bloated bodies then it is most likely internal gas bubble disease and again will have to be treated with a drug called acetazolamide. This drug, called Diamox in the medicinal trade, is very successful at treating all gas-related seahorse disorders. To use it, a solution of 1/8th of a 250 mg tablet should be dissolved in one cup of water. The solution should then be injected into ghost shrimp, which are then frozen. The prepared shrimp are then fed to the affected seahorse at a rate of two per day for four days to complete treatment. This treatment must be administered very early to work, but if done correctly, success rates can be high.
I have instead used diamox in the hospital tank water matched for ph, temperature and s.g..
Crush a diamox tablet up and dissolve in water, adding the solution to the 10g of water but discarding the part that doesn't dissolve.
After 24 hours, repeat the treatment, again matching water and changing at least 50% of the water but preferably 100%. Repeat until you have treated for 5 days.
The unfortunate part is that you need a vet to prescribe the diamox, or, have a friendly pharmacist that can get you enough of the tablets.
Can you get good clear close up pictures, full frontal view and full side view?
Old 03-09-2012, 10:42 PM

jjntm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
I'm sorry but that isn't going to work.
You haven't said if they are a pair or are two males or two females.
If both are males, it can be due to pouch emphysema and usual treatment is to evacuate the gas from the pouch holding it vertical and using something like a rubber tipped bobby pin to open the pouch to allow for the escape. If the problem persists, try a flush with fresh salt water matching the pH, s.g., and temperature of the tank water. If it still persists, flush with a diamox solution.
If not pouch emphysema, and they have bloated bodies then it is most likely internal gas bubble disease and again will have to be treated with a drug called acetazolamide. This drug, called Diamox in the medicinal trade, is very successful at treating all gas-related seahorse disorders. To use it, a solution of 1/8th of a 250 mg tablet should be dissolved in one cup of water. The solution should then be injected into ghost shrimp, which are then frozen. The prepared shrimp are then fed to the affected seahorse at a rate of two per day for four days to complete treatment. This treatment must be administered very early to work, but if done correctly, success rates can be high.
I have instead used diamox in the hospital tank water matched for ph, temperature and s.g..
Crush a diamox tablet up and dissolve in water, adding the solution to the 10g of water but discarding the part that doesn't dissolve.
After 24 hours, repeat the treatment, again matching water and changing at least 50% of the water but preferably 100%. Repeat until you have treated for 5 days.
The unfortunate part is that you need a vet to prescribe the diamox, or, have a friendly pharmacist that can get you enough of the tablets.
Can you get good clear close up pictures, full frontal view and full side view?

RAYJAY is bang on!!! DO NOT listen to your LFS!!! most of the time they don't know ****!! and are only selling you something to make money and dont care!

I have kept seahorses before, but sold them as it was too time consuming for me. Most important thing is to make sure their are NO MICRO BUBBLES!!! and the temp is correct! I used paperclips myself for the gas in the pouch... literally curl their tail around your finger, hold them tight enough they can't move but not tight enough to hurt them... gently poke the pouch opening at the top of but just under water and gently massage/squeeze the pouch until you see the air pockets bubbling out.

give it 24 hrs and repeat process if needed. If it is internal gas bubble disease follow ray jay's instructions to a tea!
Old 03-10-2012, 04:44 AM

rayjay is on a distinguished road

Actually, micro bubbles are no longer thought to be the cause of any seahorse difficulties.
Through research done by public aquariums/institutions it has been determined that the causes were not the micro bubbles but indeed are chemical imbalances within the seahorse, thus the use of diamox as treatment as it works on the kidneys to restore that balance. Diamox also works as a diuretic on the seahorse.