Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-26-2014, 06:08 AM

Amadod2 is on a distinguished road
Default help with Hanna phosphate checker

so i have a hanna checker and i get different readings with the same test sample each time, now i know there is a time limit on how long the test sample will be accurate for, but im doing all the readings all within 6-9min of adding the additive. when i do my first reading i get .17 and the next two i get .10, im just wondering if any of you use a hanna checker and what is the most accurate way of using it
Old 02-26-2014, 06:34 AM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

I always get the little package open and ready to add to the testing sample bottle for C-2 test before I start the test procedure, you have max 3 mins. to dissolve the powder for C-2 test and make sure you have a dry soft rag on hand to polish off all the finger prints on the test bottle before you put it in the checker for both C-1 & C-2 testing.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:02 AM

Maverick00 is on a distinguished road

Ive always had the same problem with the hanna regardless of wiping down the glass tubes or not. I havent used it because of this for quite awhile. Interested to hear what others say.

EDIT - 3 mins max? Hm that could have played a part, I dont remember if i was that fast or not.

- 33 Gal - 20Gal Sump, MP10/Hydor Powerheads, Aquaticlife 4x T-5HO, Vertex IN100, TLF w/Biopellets, Tunze ATO

-45GAL Build in Progress!-
Old 02-26-2014, 01:58 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

And for C2:, be sure to hold the button until the 3 min timer appears. My results don't vary at all, usually the same or .01. That is if I do it right... As mentioned, have to get all the powder in cleanly, and needs to mix clear. And no fingerprints. Takes a little practice to get your routine dialed. But after that, very easy, actually.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:05 PM

Werbo is on a distinguished road

I find the challenge is to get all the regent into the sample vial. Any tips?
Old 02-26-2014, 02:10 PM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

I cut the top off and bend the middle of the package into a v type funnel and tap it in , also makes me feel like a scientist
Old 02-26-2014, 02:10 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Cut the packet, and shape a funnel on the side. Hold the vial at an angle, not straight up and down. Then gently tap the back of the packet with your finger. And be sure the insides of the packet are opened, too, so the powder doesn't get stuck coming out.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:14 PM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

And I think someone said it before but clean the vials off with a cloth the finger prints or salt water on the outside will give you a false high
Old 02-26-2014, 02:47 PM

straightrazorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to straightrazorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadod2 View Post
when i do my first reading i get .17 and the next two i get .10, im just wondering if any of you use a hanna checker and what is the most accurate way of using it
It could be that the reagent powder isn't completely dissolved for your first reading. It takes me a few minuted to get all the floaties dissolved...

Either way, in the grand scheme of things, the difference between 0.10 and 0.17 isn't the end of the world. Or is it?
Old 02-26-2014, 04:22 PM

Amadod2 is on a distinguished road

well im trying to get my water to .05, i have also read that you shouldn't have any air bubble in the vile.

3min seems to be a bit much it terms of the sample diluting, it takes at least that long to get it to dissolve