Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 10-29-2011, 09:41 PM

evaneatspie555 is on a distinguished road

I think it still has a nice look tho hopefully they can improve on these before I buy them I will set up an average 55 tank would one fixture be enough with 2 screw in par38 bulbs on either side ??
Old 11-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Banned

unclesalty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by amuvor View Post
---------------

I purchased two Radion fixtures from Concept Aquatics. Thank you Dave and Brad.

I have hanged them from the ceiling temporarily, with rope.

My tank is 4feet long, but it’s 38” wide, and shallow: 22”. The water column, however, sand excluded, is only 18”.

Initially, I experimented hanging the Radions 6 inches away from the water surface, but I got an unlit portion in the middle of the tank, and marked shadows.

At 12” from the water (see pics) the shadows disappear and the tank appears more homogeneously lit.

I used the spectral plots reported in Advanced Aquarist by Sanjai Joshi for Iwasaki and Radium 250W bulbs to guide me in programming spectral peaks and lows for the Radion. I followed Riddle’s work to manage the red part of the spectrum.

The measurements below were taken at noon, when I programmed the fixture to display the highest relative intensity.

Average PAR measurements (Apogee) on the mid to upper reef (12 measurements) is 305; range: 170-455.

Note on expectations:

The tank appears dimmer than it did under MH / Compact combo, even though PAR measurements are on par.

The reds, pinks, and blues appear washed; mute, a little bland.

Glitter lines do compare to MH’s.

Software does not include natural mode; only artificial. I experienced problems with launching speed. Overall, the interface feels underdeveloped, not as user friendly as it could be.
I was hoping to use the natural mode too but I also noticed its not in the software. Setting up color, %, and intesity and at what time, seems like it might take a little while to set up. Still waiting for my hanging kits but I do have a tracking number for them so early next week they will be here. They seem way brighter lights than my (3 weeks old)AI Sol Blue module- by far! Jeremy at Premium Aquatics thinks the opposite at his first glance??? Once I get my hanging kits I will test them with par readings side by side in my 120gal.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:25 PM

Aqua-Digital is on a distinguished road

In regards to software, Ecotech have said from day 1 that the software will be first released with not all functionality available but will swiftly work to adding more features as swiftly as possible

Radion Software
Unlock the full potential of the Radion XR30w with the EcoSmart Configuration Utility. Connect to a Windows PC and create customized lighting periods with fully adjustable spectrum and intensity. Opt in grouping and weather features are also enabled.

Check back frequently for new software and firmware releases that will add new controllabilty and functionality to your Radion fixture.

http://ecotechmarine.com/products/radion/

Units out there - we have now personally distributed a total of 56 units into Canada so I am sure within the next month there will be plenty written about
Old 11-08-2011, 05:54 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

Tagging along, if I keep cooking ballasts then I'll be looking to upgrade to some other form of lighting.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:24 PM

cale262 is on a distinguished road

Well so far, I have both units hung from one of the ugliest contraptions I have ever made...but it works.

I had a hard time getting the software to recognize both lights, had to reset the lights to factory default a couple time to make both visible, Now they look like they are working via SW, but #2 seems to be on a different time sequence as they both work together to a point but every morning I get up #2 is on long before #1…The SW is still buggy, I’ve programmed a couple project but the SW is having issues saving or loading to programs. Tonight I think I’m going to reload the SW and see if that gets me better results.

The Lightening storm effect is kewl
Old 11-09-2011, 12:37 PM

tidal_waters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cale262 View Post
Well so far, I have both units hung from one of the ugliest contraptions I have ever made...but it works.

I had a hard time getting the software to recognize both lights, had to reset the lights to factory default a couple time to make both visible, Now they look like they are working via SW, but #2 seems to be on a different time sequence as they both work together to a point but every morning I get up #2 is on long before #1…The SW is still buggy, I’ve programmed a couple project but the SW is having issues saving or loading to programs. Tonight I think I’m going to reload the SW and see if that gets me better results.

The Lightening storm effect is kewl
I had this same problem, what you need to do is when you are Programming ensure that you click on the "group" tab on the left where both of your units are listed. I was accidentally programming both lights to do two different things before I figured out what was going on.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:41 PM

cale262 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidal_waters View Post
I had this same problem, what you need to do is when you are Programming ensure that you click on the "group" tab on the left where both of your units are listed. I was accidentally programming both lights to do two different things before I figured out what was going on.

kewl, I'll make sure I check that tonight
Old 11-09-2011, 02:11 PM

Make sure you download R3 software now available and also as above check your grouping seems you are running them independantly.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:38 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

How far above a 30" tank can the lights be mounted and still remain effective to the bottom of the tank?
Old 11-09-2011, 02:43 PM

depends on the depth of the tank, the recommendation is 8" above for a 24" tank surface area.

If you dont have SPS on the floor then you can see how one goes.