Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-14-2018, 03:46 PM

Etaloche is on a distinguished road
Default Brian's Clam Specific Reef Tank Project

I have been toying with this idea for a while. The need for a 2nd tank / frag tank has been creeping up on me as my main tank starts to become overfilled with livestock. I've finally decided to shut down my DIY frag tank and start up a new tank that will be focused on clams. I have not seen many tank builds that had the Tridacna giant clams as the main focus and I've always been in love with them, so that is why I decided on a clam tank. Other than clams I plan to mainly have SPS, Euphyllia, Acans, maybe Goniopora, and solitary corals such as scoly, wellso, and trachy. I have learned a lot from my first tank build and I am going to completely avoid invasive corals like xenia and GSP for sure

The tank in mind was the IM Lagoon 50 which has dimensions I absolutely love for this project in mind. Someone recently posted a RSM250 that is also hard to pass by... Today's my birthday, so I think today will be the day I pull the trigger on a tank I have no plans for other equipment as of just yet. I'll put it together as I go.

I've already started to break down most of my big colonies and traded them in to the LFS for some giant clams to stock up the tank with. They are in quarantine for now as they are riddled with aptasia and bryopsis. Hopefully I'll be able to source nicer clams once the tank is going.

Here are some photos of my clams as a teaser

This Crocea has been my longest clam inhabitant

Derasa clam from LFS couple months ago.

This Squamosa is a rescue I'm attempting to nurture back to health. It was severely gaping and has a bleached spot by the exhalent siphon. Hanging in there, but as with clams you never know...

Crocea I traded for yesterday, also not in the best shape and hoping it'll color up more. It was getting blasted with too much light.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:29 PM

straightrazorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to straightrazorguy

Happy birthday Brian! I am envious of your clams. I'm in the market for a Crocea clam too!
Old 01-14-2018, 05:54 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Sweet! Happy Birthday! I love the IM lagoon 50 too, I almost got one a month back. Looking forward to this.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:16 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Pretty neat build and I too have not seen a separate clam system. I will be tagging along.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKoKoMan View Post
Pretty neat build and I too have not seen a separate clam system. I will be tagging along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
Sweet! Happy Birthday! I love the IM lagoon 50 too, I almost got one a month back. Looking forward to this.
Thanks guys, worked hard to move enough inventory to afford this (hopefully) lol. Really looking forward to the tank, I want to keep it nice and simple this time. No complex equipment.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:01 PM

dino is on a distinguished road

im too nervous to even get one. kudos to you and best of luck
Old 01-15-2018, 08:25 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Looks like a nice start to your clam collection/system. Looking forward to seeing future updates.

Anthony
Old 01-16-2018, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrazorguy View Post
Happy birthday Brian! I am envious of your clams. I'm in the market for a Crocea clam too!
Thanks! Crocea are very nice and don't get big. I hope you find one

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
im too nervous to even get one. kudos to you and best of luck
I know how nervous one can get with clams, but I don't think a reef is complete without one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
Looks like a nice start to your clam collection/system. Looking forward to seeing future updates.

Anthony
Thanks Anthony, looks like we're both getting back into out aquarium projects at the same time
Old 01-16-2018, 01:52 AM

So yesterday I actually pulled the trigger on the IM Lagoon 50, but it was too big and there was simply no way to convince my family to let me keep it.
I had my dream tank for about 24 hours, alas I had to go and return for a Lagoon 25 instead.

It was nice looking at it for 24 hours. I'll be sure to purchase it again one day when I have space. It is absolutely stunner of a tank.

Went back to get the 25 instead, saved a bunch of money by downsizing so I'll put that towards some nice clams.

Craigslist has yet to fail me. The APS tank from IM for this tank costs more than the tank itself and I simply could not bring myself to purchase one. I went to IKEA immediately after picking up the tank, but could not find a cabinet that fit the odd dimension of 24"x20" that this tank has. While I was in IKEA I started scrolling through what must've been at least couple dozen pages of craigslist ads when I finally found a suitable stand. I immediately went to go see it and the cabinet was simply perfect. Measuring 24" x 22" it is built like a tank and the hardware is top notch. They told me one of the family members had it custom made years ago. For $50 I think this is the deal of the day, not even a fraction of what a new stand from IM would've cost me.

and with that, the project is fully under way!

Last edited by Etaloche; 01-16-2018 at 01:55 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:30 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I get a lot of my fish stands/tanks off CL. Usually can find a nice cabinet for fish stand if you look for a while.

Too bad about about the bigger tank being a no go.

Anthony