xerxes300 is on a distinguished road
Default Vancouver Public Aquarium so Nasty

this poor fellow needs a lawyer to fend off this corporate bully:
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/bar/6047278388.html

expose documentary:
https://youtu.be/hs4FtZSLyc8
Old 03-22-2017, 05:39 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Wow! Now that's harsh treatment. Where is the public interest in this one? *shaking head*
Old 03-22-2017, 02:42 PM

Dendromad is on a distinguished road

I have a hard time believing a lot of that tbh and it sounds like an activist drumming up support. There are a small number of people out there at the moment trying to generate hate against the aquarium. If that is who he is talking about, he mentions the Vancouver Aquatic Center a few times which is a swimming pool. Despite this there are lengthy processes to be able to fire someone under contract unless they are in their 3 month probationary period during which time if the fit isn't right for either party then either can terminate the contract that is signed (the document he refers to) and has this info written in to it. This person was within the 3 month probationary period.
The policy on breaks for staff is fine and in line with other employers and managers (and HR) are usually strict about ensuring employees take them.
As for the allowing the friend admission, he probably didn't follow protocol and have the person added to the guest book, if your name's not down your not coming in. I doubt very much it was because they were homeless.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:32 PM

There is always two sides to a story, the matter will be investigated by the police I'm sure if it progresses.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:50 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

I think we're only hearing one side of the story. Over the past 20 years I've seen lots of Aquarium staff working behind the scenes and they all seemed happy and enjoying their jobs.

There's a lot of people with the attitude of animals belong in the wild... where does that put our hobby?
Old 03-22-2017, 08:06 PM

Jakegr is on a distinguished road

I know plenty of current and former aquarium staff who love/loved their job at the aquarium. A random post on Craigslist is not a particularly good source. Given all of the controversy surrounding be park board and the aquarium, I would be careful drawing conclusions.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:33 PM

Trust me... If it is taken for face value VPD would be investigating.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:24 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

A couple of friends work there & I used to volunteer there to do overnight "Night Stalker" tours for groups of youths. This totally sounds like part of the "shut the VPA" campaign that is being instigated by a small group of very vocal animal rights activists who would like nothing better than to have the Parks Board close this facility down permanently.

Craigslist is less reliable a "news" source than the National Enquirer or People's Magazine ;P
Old 03-22-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
A couple of friends work there & I used to volunteer there to do overnight "Night Stalker" tours for groups of youths. This totally sounds like part of the "shut the VPA" campaign that is being instigated by a small group of very vocal animal rights activists who would like nothing better than to have the Parks Board close this facility down permanently.

Craigslist is less reliable a "news" source than the National Enquirer or People's Magazine ;P
Good point! We have had similar events with "Lucy" the elephant here in Edmonton, AB. If your mainstream media channels portrayed the story there would be more merit, that being said in the end it's still just media.

More importantly... who uses Craigslist
Old 03-22-2017, 10:01 PM

xerxes300 is on a distinguished road

the Aquarium sued the documentary film maker, for defamation. The BC supreme court judge ruled that there was no defamation, and that 5min of photage be removed only because it belonged to the Aquarium.

their financial statements speaks volumes about what realy goes on there - John Nightingale is paid $350,000/yr plus bonuses to run a commercial whale circus.
and when last week the Park Board finaly decided to end the cetaceans program he stormed out of the meeting.

after studing the killer whales vocalization and behaviour, the animal behaviorial scientist concluded that the whale had gone "insane".