Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Freshwater > Ponds & Koi

Old 05-09-2013, 05:05 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriak View Post
Hey Kien,

How do you overwinter your plants and where did you buy the liner from?
All of my plants hang out in the pond with my fish over the winter. They've done well for 4 winters now and come back every spring. Sometimes they start trying to sprout through the thin layer of ice in the early spring (March/April).

I got my liner from Burnco in the South East.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:20 PM

MMAX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Which is strange because there are no pollinating bugs out yet, I don't think!
Not really that strange, it will sometimes bloom in April but spring arrived late. You don't need pollinating bugs to get flowers, but there's plenty out my way, both bees and butterflies.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAX View Post
Not really that strange, it will sometimes bloom in April but spring arrived late. You don't need pollinating bugs to get flowers, but there's plenty out my way, both bees and butterflies.
Ya I know it's possible and happens all the time. I have daffodils and crocus flowers everywhere which I always thought was strange too. I guess I'm looking at it from a genetic point of view. Over years of evolution, I would have thought that plants would "learn" bloom at the optimum time for pollination. As it is I think my blooms are wasting their energy :-). Maybe these plants aren't indigenous? I dunno, I'm no botanist !
Old 05-10-2013, 04:12 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Lots of bugs been out and about for a while! I was seeing mosquitoes over a month ago even with all the snow. Hardy little buggers.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Lots of bugs been out and about for a while! I was seeing mosquitoes over a month ago even with all the snow. Hardy little buggers.
Mosquitoes don't pollinate. They just suck blood! :-)
Old 05-10-2013, 05:01 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Well, the females anyhow

There have been, you know, other insects out and about. They're out there... pollinators and non pollinators alike.. I just meant I was dismayed to see mosquitoes in particular over a month ago already. Nothing slows them down, apparently!

And as long as you're enjoying the flowers I don't think your plants are wasting their energy.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:07 AM

Ya I don't have anything against blooms. My indoor plants bloom year round with no bugs at all LOL.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:03 PM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers View Post
Thanks for the info. Your pond and Dez's are my inspiration of getting a pond myself. I will probably have tons of questions for you when I do have the courage and $$$ to get it started if you don't mind.

In terms of rock, my pond in the front yard is a 5 x 10 pond 2 and a 1/2 shelf high with a 19' stream bed and I didn't pay for a single piece of rock. My wife and I drove around a couple of nights a week to new neighborhoods and looked for freshly excavated sites for houses to look for rocks. It took a little while, but free is better than spending $$$$. I'm not sure how much rock costs, but I'm sure it ain't cheap.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:30 PM

Oilers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
In terms of rock, my pond in the front yard is a 5 x 10 pond 2 and a 1/2 shelf high with a 19' stream bed and I didn't pay for a single piece of rock. My wife and I drove around a couple of nights a week to new neighborhoods and looked for freshly excavated sites for houses to look for rocks. It took a little while, but free is better than spending $$$$. I'm not sure how much rock costs, but I'm sure it ain't cheap.
Thanks Dez. Now I know what I will be doing during my free nights then
Old 05-10-2013, 03:14 PM

MMAX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers View Post
Thanks Dez. Now I know what I will be doing during my free nights then
Just like mine too. Countryside ditches, trips out west to the mountains and best of all co-workers with huge rock piles on their land. I would be interested to see how many pounds of rock I hauled to build mine--probably a couple of tonnes at least. I have nothing against Burnco but do yourself a favour and save yourself a pile of cash. Rock from these places cost a fortune.