Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 09-18-2009, 05:23 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road
Default Home theater recomendations

Ok so I am building a home theater/bar down stairs and I am looking at a projector and screen. Problem is I am inharently cheep and kinda on a budjet. I am looking at the Optoma HD200x projector doesn anyone have any expreiance with this one or is there another 1500.00 ish 1080P projector that is good for under 2K? Also what do people recomend for recivers? I need HMDI pass through, preferbaly with dual ouput as I have going to have the theater and the Bar flat screen. I want 5.1 for the theater area, but it would be nice to have a 7 speaker system that can be used in 5.1 or 7 speaker sterio for music.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Have you purchased speakers yet? If not, take a look at PSB speakers, their entry level speakers are nice but not too crazy expensive. I have their mid-grade ones and they rock!!

As for projectors...www.ncix.com has that projector on for $1199 though I'm not sure if that's a good price or not. I do tend to like DLP projectors over LCD ones. I use a Benq data HD data projector for work and as a DLP it takes a beating and keeps on ticking.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:31 PM
ealbay

$1199 should be the going price for that projector.
I'm currently running a dell dlp projector that I got free from work projecting to a 92" motorized dlite screen and the pic is pretty good. For the receiver i'm running a denon 2808. Full 7.1 setup and instead of 1 sub running 2 instead. All components on a rack in the furnace room and using ir repeaters to control all components on the rack.
You can go cheap on the screen via diy if you want. You can do the painted wall screen way or diy painted screen. this gives you options for screen size. you should check out avsforums for all your questions.
For the receivers. it depends on your budget.. You can get awsome deals on previous model years on components I've seen the pioneer elite vsx90 for $377, Stick with either Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo for the mid range type recievers.
Here's some models you can look at Pioneer SC05 "$888", Yamaha RVX1900 "$1900" or RVX763"$498", Denon AVR4308"$1488" all in cnd dollars
If you want to go higher end. That's a diff story there.

Home theatre is just as addicting as this hobby.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:51 PM

Phanman is on a distinguished road

The VSX90 reciever is $377 right now which is a sweet deal for a reciever that has THX.

There are also some projectors on sale this weekend... but kinda pricy.
Panasonic 60,000:1 1080P, 120HZ LCD Projector (PTAE3000 kit)
UHM lamp: 165watt
Brightness:1,600 lumens
Optical zoom: 2:1
$3333

Ealbay, I assume u saw the add for the sounds around liquidation sale this weekend? (Calgary sun)

3x20g Display Established June 08|Koralia nano, 1, 4|Euroreef Skimmer|250W MH retro kit|Mag 18 return|RODI
120g Display Established Jan 1, 09|Vortech MP40|Koralia 4|I-Tech 100 w Tunze 9410.04A|Aquactinics Constellation 7x54W|Mag 18 return|RODI
Old 09-18-2009, 07:18 PM
ealbay

Yup Soundsaround
Old 09-18-2009, 09:23 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealbay View Post
Denon AVR4308"$1488"
Old 09-18-2009, 09:47 PM

Phanman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedfrags.com View Post
Where?
Same soundsaround sale this weekend in calgary (started at noon today)

3x20g Display Established June 08|Koralia nano, 1, 4|Euroreef Skimmer|250W MH retro kit|Mag 18 return|RODI
120g Display Established Jan 1, 09|Vortech MP40|Koralia 4|I-Tech 100 w Tunze 9410.04A|Aquactinics Constellation 7x54W|Mag 18 return|RODI
Old 09-19-2009, 12:49 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

check out http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/index.php a Canadian forum, lots of posts, user reviews etc, also if you register there's a Canadian Shopping Forum for members that might help.

btw, from RedFlagDeals.com, Costco had the Optoma HD200x for $1199. Try it for 3 months, don't like it take it back, full refund
Old 09-19-2009, 05:00 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
check out http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/index.php a Canadian forum, lots of posts, user reviews etc, also if you register there's a Canadian Shopping Forum for members that might help.

btw, from RedFlagDeals.com, Costco had the Optoma HD200x for $1199. Try it for 3 months, don't like it take it back, full refund
I'll check that out, costco hasn't had them for about 4 months now. I was kicking myself for not grabbing one when they did have them.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:27 PM

bullit67 is on a distinguished road

There are a few questions I ask when some tells me they want a projector

1. how close is the closest seat
2. do you have complete light control in the room (i.e. keeping sun light out)
3. Is your house dusty (i.e. do you have pets) birds are real bad for dust

I have seen a lot of people spend alot of money on a projector and end up not liking the results because of poor planning.

The other thing is spend the money now or later dont completely cheep out on HT gear you are lucky that there is some real nice gear for good prices now on the market

Tack a look at Onkio receivers real good bang for the buck

as for speakers
Energy
PSB
Klipsch

all make real good prducts to get you started