Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #2

Old 06-24-2009, 05:26 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Nah, looks pretty tidy to me. I don't know what mess you're talking about. (I have kids. Shaddup.)

I don't mind the bubbles. It's just reminiscent of .. an actual wave crashing. If you wanted to reduce the bubbles, have you tried drilling a small hole in the pipe just above the water surface so any air trapped in the pipe can escape out there as the pressure increases? It won't eliminate them altogether but can work to reduce them. The only thing with so many bubbles, methinks, is the salt creep potential.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:43 AM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

Hmm. If you put an open riser somewhere on the surge outlet of the CSD before the surge reaches the tank, would that give the bubbles a chance to break? It would probably work best if it were just before the tank (on a horizontal length of pipe)... but I have no way to verify this, I don't have a pump lying around to test my theory.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:14 AM

AndyL is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to AndyL

There's actually a small hole just below the water level (if you look you can see some bubbles coming out of it) gets rid of the big "bloop" from the surge. Above the water line would act as a venturi (tried that) I'm good with the bubbles as is - i know many hate them, and yes salt creep is already a royal pain in the arse - but the surge motion is really neat in comparison to the more laminar flow patterns we're used to seeing in a tank...

Tony - you'll notice you never see shots of the rest of the basement the other 500 sq feet is the 6yr olds playroom... I'm contemplating buying a nice skidsteer so I can clear a path to the tanks

I could play - but I don't think a T'd riser would help out - in fact with the rush of the surge - I'd almost bet it would act as a venturi... If I really wanted - I could switch to the toilet bowl style surge system - eliminates the tail end bubbles of the syphon breaking; but I like the simple physics operation of this configuration.
By reading, replying to, commenting about, or in any way accessing the material in this post; including but not limited to storing in a database, retrieving from a database, viewing in a web browser, including it in or making a reference to it in a legal document, or accidentally glancing at it you agree to send me $100.

Last edited by AndyL; 06-24-2009 at 06:17 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:04 PM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

Ahh, I hadn't thought of the venturi effect.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:38 AM

Default Bad Fish Tank! No donut!

Ok... So a quick 'tuning' got me in trouble tonight...

Drilled a new hole in the stockman, and 'waited, listened and watched' to see how it would change the system... Seemed like 10 minutes went by... Well that was 8 when I drilled the hole - I come back upstairs - it's 9:30 and the fiance is ****ed

Hmmm Maybe I should play a stop smoking hypnosis tape in the background or something when I stop to enjoy the tank
By reading, replying to, commenting about, or in any way accessing the material in this post; including but not limited to storing in a database, retrieving from a database, viewing in a web browser, including it in or making a reference to it in a legal document, or accidentally glancing at it you agree to send me $100.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:30 AM

This weekends project - the new stand...

We'll see how it turns out... Going a little - um... Different (Yes it's me - y'all should expect that by now)
Old 07-14-2009, 11:44 PM

Updated FTS later this week... Been a little hectic with the wedding and all - went extremely well, currently chilling in fairmont BC
Old 07-26-2009, 05:51 PM

Well I'm dogging it as usual But Heading down for a topoff I suddenly realized - better get a shot up... Didn't get a chance to clean up or anything - but it keeps me in the contest

Added some locline to replace the big fugly 90 - 32$ (plus/minus change)

Old 08-16-2009, 03:48 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

FTS due!!

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:08 AM

Gah! But I'm not ready yet!

Can I have a day or two to finish one or two things... And give it a cleaning? Wont get around to the fragging from the 10g that I was planning to do... But at least get me into the less ghetto range

Yeah it's been a heck of a summer...