Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #2

Old 04-15-2009, 02:05 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Ok, here are my thoughts. don't even start till fall first of all, its not about keeping a tank going during the summer, but rather lots of people who would probably compete would maybe like to have holidays and maybe move across the Provence before starting a new tank build.

I think size limitations should be on display tank only, other wise you have to add sumps, skimmers, refuge, ect.. If your going to build a tank make it big enough to want it.. say a 30 gal or less. I consider anything under 30 a nano personally.

It does need a budget, but something may not need to be included. I think the cost of the tanks, should be included personally. also plumbing parts, live rock, sand, corals (actual paid price, not a generic price) fish, lights, ect...

but if some one needs a chiller maybe not have that included in the budget. this is a environmental thing, I know in my old house I needed a chiller with just PC lights, because it was insulated like junk and the front room would heat up over 18 degrees on a warm summer evening, but if you have central air you wouldn't need it.

I would like to see a very long build time, say 6 months to put water in from the start. this will allow some one to take the time and build a stand with out rushing it, or even just to figure out what there going to build and how.

I found with the current contest the short build time went buy to fast, then there were a bunch of instant tanks. with not much progression after two months with water in them. I would rather see also a two or three month cycle period. after that who knows.

now I know all the impatient people are going to hate this, but I don't want to see a bunch of instant tanks for the sake of a contest, but would rather see well thought out additions to the hobby.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:10 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

My ideas/comments in point form just so it's easy to read.

IMO:

~ 6 months is perfect. Anything less and it doesn't even look like a tank yet, imo.
~ Take the budget restriction off.
~ Two categories - under $300 and over $300 (or whatever $$ amount).
~ Price limitation on equipment only (livestock is so difficult to judge a fair price). Besides, it doesn't take much to have $500 of livestock in a 10g...
~ Restricted to a 20 gallon display - it IS a "nano".
~ Unlimited on sump size (if utilized) provided the system is self-contained ie not hooked up to another display tank.
~ OR limit sump to 20 gallons as well (doesn't matter if you only have 5g in it, the total volume of the sump can't be more than 20).
~ AND/OR limit refugium...? Include in the 20g limitation for the sump? So you could have a 5g fuge, and a 15g sump?
~ NOT restricted to "standard" tanks.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 04-15-2009 at 02:25 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:16 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
Ok, here are my thoughts. don't even start till fall first of all, its not about keeping a tank going during the summer, but rather lots of people who would probably compete would maybe like to have holidays and maybe move across the Provence before starting a new tank build.

I think size limitations should be on display tank only, other wise you have to add sumps, skimmers, refuge, ect.. If your going to build a tank make it big enough to want it.. say a 30 gal or less. I consider anything under 30 a nano personally.

It does need a budget, but something may not need to be included. I think the cost of the tanks, should be included personally. also plumbing parts, live rock, sand, corals (actual paid price, not a generic price) fish, lights, ect...

but if some one needs a chiller maybe not have that included in the budget. this is a environmental thing, I know in my old house I needed a chiller with just PC lights, because it was insulated like junk and the front room would heat up over 18 degrees on a warm summer evening, but if you have central air you wouldn't need it.

I would like to see a very long build time, say 6 months to put water in from the start. this will allow some one to take the time and build a stand with out rushing it, or even just to figure out what there going to build and how.

I found with the current contest the short build time went buy to fast, then there were a bunch of instant tanks. with not much progression after two months with water in them. I would rather see also a two or three month cycle period. after that who knows.

now I know all the impatient people are going to hate this, but I don't want to see a bunch of instant tanks for the sake of a contest, but would rather see well thought out additions to the hobby.

Steve
I like these ideas.

Maybe a list of 'exempt' equipment like chillers, heaters, or anything else that is as you said 'environmental'. I think that even the playing field but is still very fair.

I also agree about additions to the hobby instead of a bunch of temp tanks.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:38 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

The problem with a livestock budget is who decides on pricing? Actual paid price, fair enough but some will pay much less than others and I for one have gotten many corals for basically nothing and on the other hand have also overpaid on occasion. I remember having to measure coral and post pics of this being done because of anonymous complaints and I know for sure having people make up whatever price they feel like will cause problems. The standard price list probably maintained the sanity to the best degree possible but as you all now it wasn't even close to real so in the end it was pretty pointless and limited people to what they can do with their tanks. For example not many people found it inefficient to use frags as it was too expensive on the budget, going with larger corals was essentially the only way to fill the tank on budget. In addition the same type of coral can vary with price dependent on coral or variation not just location. Simply too complicated and I honestly see no point.

Hardware on the other hand is pretty easy, a budget could be applied.

Restrictions are needed for the contest but apply it to something that can easily be monitored and controlled. Tank volume for sure and limit total volume, the most challenging part of a nano is the limited volume. A 100 gallon sump wold defeat the purpose.

Perhaps another restriction could be power consumption, limit the total allowable "rated" wattage of the system.

I'm not sure I get the chiller idea, a nano shouldn't need one as a fan should accommodate any heat problems. The smaller volume will also not hold in heat like a larger tank.

And 6 months just to build a nano, come on that's just a little much don't you think? One month should be plenty.

Last edited by sphelps; 04-15-2009 at 02:40 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:43 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I agree that one month is plenty of time to build. Or give people the option of 6 weeks if they want? But 6 months? Wow...

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:01 AM

na, 6 months is good, it should be the minimum time for any tank from what I have seen happen in local LFS.

The only way a large sump will have is increasing stability and success for longevity for the tank and inhabitants. anything smaller than a 33 is a nano to a lot of people, and with a 33 or smaller MH is a very real possibility for lighting.
heck I would put MH on a 15, if I could find a small enough set up

the only problem with a under/over 300 is that once you buy lights you are over

an idea might be to have a under / over 1000 on hardware, then do your preset price list with a limit on live stock but bring into account live rock and sand also. skimp on the rock and get nicer and bigger corals or fish, go heavy on the rock and you will limit the coral or fish, makes you decide and really think of what a good balance would be.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 04-15-2009, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I agree that one month is plenty of time to build. Or give people the option of 6 weeks if they want? But 6 months? Wow...
one month is good for some one with no job, or has 100% of there free time to work on it. It also really limits creativity as you just don't have the time to do the stuff, unless your rich then you can just buy everything done. some people actualy have to save up for a bit to do something, then save again to do something else.

Steve

Old 04-15-2009, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
one month is good for some one with no job, or has 100% of there free time to work on it. It also really limits creativity as you just don't have the time to do the stuff, unless your rich then you can just buy everything done. some people actualy have to save up for a bit to do something, then save again to do something else.

Steve
I have full time job and a part time business and I built my tank in one night, a month is reasonable but sorry anyone that takes 6 months to setup a nano is just slow. And if it takes six months just to save up for hardware for a contest tank on canreef you should probably invest that money elsewhere, you don't have to spend a lot. My hardware cost $79
Old 04-15-2009, 03:14 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
I have full time job and a part time business and I built my tank in one night, a month is reasonable but sorry anyone that takes 6 months to setup a nano is just slow. And if it takes six months just to save up for hardware for a contest tank on canreef you should probably invest that money elsewhere, you don't have to spend a lot. My hardware cost $79
You are so ridiculous man. Between your comments here and in the other rules area likening the organizing committee to Nazi's, I refuse to enter if you are involved as I think you look to start conflict.

Livestock having a flat 'rate' or value is great.

Anyways, have fun guys!
Old 04-15-2009, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
You are so ridiculous man. Between your comments here and in the other rules area likening the organizing committee to Nazi's, I refuse to enter if you are involved as I think you look to start conflict.

Livestock having a flat 'rate' or value is great.

Anyways, have fun guys!
Sounds more like fear of loosing

Not really interested in entering the next one just trying to provide a little insight. I'm usually just looking out for others interests in general not my own. I'll be quiet now.

Cheers