Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #1

View Poll Results: Would you like an increase in LIVESTOCK budget?
No. Leave the budget as is. 4 22.22%
$50 Increase. 4 22.22%
$100 Increase. 8 44.44%
$150 Increase. 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2008, 01:44 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital
Default Livestock Budget Increase Poll (Contest Members Only)

Gonna open a poll to see if you guys would like an increase in the LIVESTOCK budget. Seems like a few would like an increase, and I know a few people joined the contest because they liked the idea of the low budget, so, I'm putting it to a vote.

This additional (amount to be determined) will be for Livestock ONLY.

Voting is for Contest Members Only.

1. No. Leave the budget as is.
2. $50 Increase
3. $100 Increase
4. $150 Increase.

Poll closes Oct 31, 2008.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988

Last edited by JDigital; 10-27-2008 at 01:47 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:49 AM

AndyL is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to AndyL

I'm going to vote yes, I think we've all notice most of the livestock prices have spiked dramatically in the past month alone (due to cdn$ weakness).
By reading, replying to, commenting about, or in any way accessing the material in this post; including but not limited to storing in a database, retrieving from a database, viewing in a web browser, including it in or making a reference to it in a legal document, or accidentally glancing at it you agree to send me $100.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:15 AM

michika is on a distinguished road

Should I be voting?
Old 10-27-2008, 02:19 AM

rocketlily is on a distinguished road

Would the contest then be open to people who like the new budget but originaly did not join because of the old limit? Would those not in favor of of a budget change (if it was to be voted in) be allowed to leave the contest due to the change in rules, with a refund of entry dues?

I really have to think about this, as I am sure some people, including myself, sat down and thought about the original budget and what they could achieve before signing up for the competition. If I had thought in the beginning that I couldn't do a tank for $300, I would not have entered.

I would have thought that those who alloted a major portion of their budget for equipment would have realized that it left very little for livestock. Changing the rules seems to me to be rewarded people for bad budgeting.

Quote: "I've done the best I can to alter this contest for fit into our forum here on Canreef, but the fact is that not everyone will be happy with the contest rules as they've been established. If you don't think that you can participate under the established guidelines, then your time and $$ is probably best spent on a tank that you truly will enjoy and keep in the long run."

If this change in budget happens, when will the next change be voted on and when do we stop the changes?
Old 10-27-2008, 02:21 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
Should I be voting?
If you're participating then for sure, otherwise I guess not.

I figure the more budget the better, you don't need to spend a lot to have a nice tank and you don't have to use the full budget but it's better to have too much than too little.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlily View Post
If this change in budget happens, when will the next change be voted on and when do we stop the changes?
Rules change, this is true for every part of life. This is a good idea but never done before therefore I think everyone is learning as we go. I think increasing the budget will prevent people from cheating and producing fake receipts, plus it will produce a better variety of livestock and a little more freedom in the competition. If you budgeted for $300 nothing has changed, you don't have to use the full budget.

Quote:
I've done the best I can to alter this contest for fit into our forum here on Canreef, but the fact is that not everyone will be happy with the contest rules as they've been established. If you don't think that you can participate under the established guidelines, then your time and $$ is probably best spent on a tank that you truly will enjoy and keep in the long run.
Not sure if this quote helps or hurts your argument.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:38 AM

Ryan_Lap is on a distinguished road

Spend the money or dont. If the budget is indeed raised to $450......o well I guess thats just more options on filling the tank with coral or whatever else you need. Even with the budget possibly going up I may not spend it all as other may not aswell, but its always nice to have a bit of a cushion.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:38 AM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

I'm kinda with Rocketlilly...if my budget had been bigger I might have gone for a MH on my tank...but couldn't with the budget so bought a brand new fixture that I might not have otherwise bought. I thought the challenge was to have a budgeted amt. and work with that...yep, it will be tough....but doable? Absolutely! Could I work with more money, yes.....do I want to have that and waste the way I've tried to go already....not so sure. I'm gonna be thinkin on it too.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaloupa View Post
I'm kinda with Rocketlilly...if my budget had been bigger I might have gone for a MH on my tank...but couldn't with the budget so bought a brand new fixture that I might not have otherwise bought. I thought the challenge was to have a budgeted amt. and work with that...yep, it will be tough....but doable? Absolutely! Could I work with more money, yes.....do I want to have that and waste the way I've tried to go already....not so sure. I'm gonna be thinkin on it too.
We're all in the same boat, I may have done things different to but having the extra money for livestock still works to your advantage.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:13 AM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

I voted for $100 more, but I'm fine with any decision.

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz