Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #1

Old 09-26-2008, 09:51 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
I did read the main thread but unless the contest is sponsored by All Glass I think building your own tank should be allowed. You can build your own stand, correct? What's the difference?
In addition, I'm not sure how many of you have actually seen an All Glass 10 gallon but I can't setup that up in my office at work, if I breath too close to it, it might break.

Anyways, no worries, I guess this contest isn't for me. Thanks for the replies.
It's not about giving $10-20 to Aqueon (AGA now).. its about everyone starting on a level playing field. Same tank, same chance.

I'm sorry that's not going to work for you.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 09-27-2008, 12:41 PM

rocketlily is on a distinguished road

Do you think that enough additional interest would be generated by adding another category "Custom Nano up to 10 gal" with the same spending limits?
Old 09-27-2008, 01:41 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

Come on Steve, don't be a baby lol.

I know you have more than enough supplies laying around to build you own tank, but what's 15-20 bucks for the starter tank? Just buy the tank and take a picture of it and then cannibalize it and change it into what you want. I don't know if it says anywhere in the rules (please correct me if I am wrong) that you can't take the tank apart after you buy it and re-use the material and redesign the tank? If you get into this Steve I'll make one as well.

I have a couple good ideas I'd like to try, but I have to ask Wendy first as she'd be the one taking care of it haahaa.

Let me know if you want to build one anyways. Plus, we still need to have that BBQ before it snows!!

Cheers,

Scott
Old 09-27-2008, 02:02 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

haha very funny. I actually had an idea in mind for a small tank for my office, I thought it would fit the guidelines of the contest and figured I might as well support the contest and enter. I really don't want to use the standard 10 gallon tank, trust me it's not the money.

I'm down for another contest, perhaps a more open one. Say custom nano, any size under 20 gallons. But with this one I think it would be better if the budget attained to the setup only, that means stand, tank, lighting, and so on up to $300 or whatever. I don't think livestock should be included in the budget.

Probably too late for that though.
Hey Scott, we'll have our own competition and we can even put up a little wager.
Oh and BBQ for sure but you gotta get off work this time.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:13 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

I definitely want to do a custom version next time! I think there would be a lot of appeal for a lot of people to DIY it from the very beginning.

Next time we do the contest I will definitely push for a full custom option, whereby all your tank has to meet for standards is proof of its measurements to prove how many gallons it holds.

Definitely next time!
Old 09-27-2008, 03:01 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

Stupid work.... I left on the 7th for a 5 day well...... I'm still out here. Hey Steve, I got Colby to order me up a Mini BK 180 for my frag tank. Think it's big enough haahaa. Are you still looking for some of the watermelon chalice? Mine needs to be pruned a little. The only problem is I can't take it out of the tank so it's going to be a challenge.

Some of the SPS on the rock you gave me are thriving (pocilopara and an acro) the others rtn'd when I was away for a weekend. I have two nice monti's from Rommel that you and Colby can have a chunk of when they grow out more. One is a sunrise Equiestacea and the other is an incredible hulk monti (nothing too special). But I did get my hands on the chalices I've been wanting for a while! Lineaged Mummy Eye chalice and a Bubblegum Monster chalice. My Bazooka Joe chalice and JPM's watermelon are both growing nicely as well.

I should be home this week, Ill get a hold of Colby and we'll BBQ! We can talk about a little nano contest haahaa. I still think you should consider this one. Take the AGA apart and use the glass as baffles haahaa.

Cheers Steve,

Scott
Old 09-27-2008, 04:03 PM

So finally you're joining the BK club, too bad it's a mini, haha just kidding. Yeap still looking for that watermelon but don't go too far out of your way. Some of those SPS were pretty close, I figured only so many would survive. I got lots more when you're ready. Congrats on the new corals and let me know about the BBQ. I'm pretty sure you'll just break the tank trying to take it apart, the glass is only 3mm thick.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:26 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Sheesh, get over yourself....
Old 10-06-2008, 04:46 PM

OK so if you didn't figure it out already I decided to suck it up and enter, after all it's just for fun.

So since I never like to do things the conventional way you may find my build a little different from others, which I hope will be a good thing and not cause too much controversy .

So without further delay, my accomplishments this weekend:

Got the tank, not tricks it's a standard 10gal.

A little deconstruction:

A little more, broke the bottom pane and couldn't salvage the plastic trim.

Some scraps!

A little reconstructive surgery

Cleaning it up with some molding and acrylic panels

Painted with an all in one curtain in the back

Ok so before anyone jumps the gun, let me explain.
The three viewing sides are the original sides from the standard tank.
The back pane was cut up and used for the bracing, the broken bottom used for the baffles in the back. So all glass was used.
The rules state you can mod the tank as much as you want provided to start with the standard 10 gal tank.
Basically I see this as an all in one 10 gallon with a little more hidden depth.
All material used can either be classified as building material or scrap.
Sorry for not having more pictures but once silicone or paint came out the camera was put away, it's just way too expensive.
The white base is HDPE which will be used to support the rock structure.

Last edited by sphelps; 10-29-2008 at 03:49 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:50 PM

Ryan_Lap is on a distinguished road

lol