Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 09-15-2012, 08:13 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
I'm currently watching a 100 watt multi-chip LED on eBay that's less than $30. Already have my DIY fixture built using 27 of the 10 watt multi-chips, but it's still a lot of wiring. If I could do 3 or 4 of these 100 watters, use optics & mount them higher..... it would be a pretty cost effective build with much less wiring. There's a thread on RC with multi chips where they are actually getting a manufacturer to custom design a multi-colour 100 watt chip for them. But I think that's going to be pricey at the start. Still be interesting to see where that goes.
Knowing how intense the 10w emitters are already, I can't imagine installing 100w emitters over my reef tank.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:32 AM
R.I.P.

pinhead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaz View Post
Very nice. Which Arduino controller are you looking to build?
There is a thread on UK reefs. Total cost of the arduino and shields is only $45. All the code is posted. It is a colour touchscreen with 6 dimmable channels for LEDs. pH , temperature sensors, chiller, heater & automatic feeder control, wavemaker and powerhead control & Lunar cycles. Code is constantly being added to and future updates may contain more sensors, real live weather conditions, automatic water changers, automatic dosing and video monitoring on smartphones. The arduino 2560 has the capacity to handle all of these features.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:46 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
Knowing how intense the 10w emitters are already, I can't imagine installing 100w emitters over my reef tank.

You don't have to run the 100 watters at full power and they are mounted quite high with optics compared to where I have my 10 watters without optics. With good quality optics & heatsink with fan, the 100 watt emitters mounted high are a good option if you like an open look above, with easy access to the tank. Manufacturers like Orphek & Kessil are leading the way with this form factor. Definitely an alternative to a multitude of 3 watt emitters mounted on large heatsinks without fans.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:59 AM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead View Post
There is a thread on UK reefs. Total cost of the arduino and shields is only $45. All the code is posted. It is a colour touchscreen with 6 dimmable channels for LEDs. pH , temperature sensors, chiller, heater & automatic feeder control, wavemaker and powerhead control & Lunar cycles. Code is constantly being added to and future updates may contain more sensors, real live weather conditions, automatic water changers, automatic dosing and video monitoring on smartphones. The arduino 2560 has the capacity to handle all of these features.
Got a link?
Old 09-16-2012, 05:55 AM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Got a link?
http://ukreefs.com/index.php?topic=258.0

Here's a video of it in action
http://youtu.be/gN4XQHNijxw
Old 09-16-2012, 04:46 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Wow fantastic, thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for... Are you aware of any other DIY arduino reef projects? Have you purchased any components yet?
Old 09-16-2012, 05:55 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Wow fantastic, thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for... Are you aware of any other DIY arduino reef projects? Have you purchased any components yet?
Here's a pdf file to the most recent build http://code.google.com/p/jarduino-aq...a.pdf&can=2&q=

Here is the thread on the above pdf manual and the youtube video. http://ukreefs.com/index.php?topic=117.0

Here is a guy who sells Arduino shields assembled or kit form. http://www.practicalmaker.com/ He has shields for pH, ORP, salinity, extra PWM channels and a full controller. He is in Australia. I am thinking of getting a bare PCB for the pH and ORP sensors because they are easy to build and only $11.25.

I haven't built my cat4101 drivers yet (or the LED's for the 90 gallon for that matter) so this power shield is very enticing. http://www.chestersgarage.com/produc...r-led-shieldIt is a shield with the LED drivers integrated - 4 channels. For my needs, I will need 2 of the $39.95 versions.

The one thing I may order immediately is the version of the megashield with the built in clock. http://imall.iteadstudio.com/prototy...120717001.html They were out of stock yesterday, but have them again today for only $5.50. All the other parts seem to be readily available. This is the one that sells out quickly.

If I get everything done the way I want it, I should have a controller with way more features than a Proiflux III ex for well under a hundred dollars.

Let me know if you want links to the cheapest touchscreen and Arduinos I have found on ebay.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:40 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
There is a thread on UK reefs. Total cost of the arduino and shields is only $45.
I think it will be a lot more than that, probably 100.00 to 150. My arduino alone was 55 bucks. basice screens (bw with 3 line output are 15 bucks, but jump to 100 bucks for deicent ones, touchescreens are up there even more.

thanks for the links on the lights, not crees but good enough.

also if you are going to be using the 100 watt LEDs remember this. the 100 watt LEDs are what they are using to replace 400 watt MH arena lighting.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:20 AM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
I think it will be a lot more than that, probably 100.00 to 150. My arduino alone was 55 bucks.

Steve
A real Arduino 2560 from the Arduino store will cost even more at $76. Since I am using non-brand name LED's, I have no problem using electronics from China.

Arduino Mega 2560 - $18

3.2 Colour Touch Panel - $17.50

Mega Shield for LCD $5.50

Mega Prototype shield $5.00

I like DIY projects and any money I save on the projects I can put back into livestock.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:08 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Arduino Mega 2560 - $18

3.2 Colour Touch Panel - $17.50

Mega Shield for LCD $5.50

Mega Prototype shield $5.00
you got a link for the touch panel?

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.