Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 07-28-2011, 07:30 AM
R.I.P.

pinhead is on a distinguished road
Default No Seamax in 2012

Looks like Seamax was a one time event. On the Seattle reef board the promoter said attendance was too low. He lost money and he thought only 10% of the exhibitors were happy enough to return.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:11 PM

ALang is on a distinguished road

That's too bad. Though I personally would not return to the same line-up as it was this past event, I would if they improve collectively. The most major detraction for me, personally, is this: we as Canadian cannot bring any livestock back. There were also issues that I think should be addressed from the start.

The venue wasn't clearly and properly signed and promoted. We were at the Center Square and didn't see any indication that such and event was even being hosted, whereas other "festivals" and "events" were clearly marked. If it were clearly posted on sign-posts or even sandwich boards through out the area, they may have gotten some impulse attendants. All they had was one lonely banner on the building, facing away from major thorough-fare.
If we had not purchased advance tickets, we wouldn't have thought to even look for it.
We met up with others who have been circling around the Square for a while as well until we were able to find and ask a park staffer for directions.

We Canadians would have made the coral and fish vendors ecstatic if we were able to bring lives stocks back. What with our dollars so high, it would have been just like shopping for clothes!

We spoke with numerous vendors at our after-the-show get-together, and the one thing that they were not aware of was this fact. They were astonished that we would not be able to buy anything, as they were hoping for a huge Canadian turn-out to make their sales a successful venture. And I can see why they would not be back for next year. If the majority of the attendees cannot part-take in the purchasing, then you are only able to get less than 60% of the sales.

We thought that there would be lots more vendors there as well, but sadly, no.

The promoters have done a fair job at organizing the show. It is just the border restrictions that really did the proverbial nail in the coffin. Too bad.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:09 PM

fencer is on a distinguished road

May it is time for us to host one
Old 07-28-2011, 06:29 PM

Veng68 is on a distinguished road

I remember I went to WMC 98' in Seattle......... thinking that would be the closest I would get to such an event.

Then wouldn't you know it........ it WMC 99' came to Richmond the next year. I'm pretty sure our American friends had the same problem not being able to buy livestock.

It takes a lot of people and a lot of money to organize such an event. Go times though.

Cheers,
Vic
Old 07-28-2011, 09:26 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencer View Post
May it is time for us to host one
The same problems (and costs) that exists for us to bring things back from the states applies to vendors looking to do the same.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:16 PM

vaporize is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to vaporize

how many people attended?

It's always unpopular to have Reef conference right in the middle of summer - why doesn't people understand? It's totally out-of-season LoL

At $800 a vendor booth, MACNA seems like a better deal
Red Sea, Black Saddleback, Brown Camel, Orange Fin, Melanistic Clarkii, Common Clarkii, True Percula, True Picassco, Pink Skunk, Orange Skunk, Maldives Clown, TRUE Sebae clown, Akin Clown, Gold Striped Maroon, White Striped Maroon, Latezonatus
Old 07-30-2011, 03:37 AM

Wouldn't know if you don't try it at least once. I'm glad to have had the opportunity to experience a show like that, even though it was very small, hence the less expensive admission, I guess.

But we really did have a great time chatting up the vendors and Reps. We also had fun partying with some of the reefers as well. We went there as a mini-vacation with another Reefing couple. We golfed, ate lots, shopped, enjoyed the beautiful scenery, and downed a lot of the local ales.

The MACNA is maybe a bigger show, but along comes the larger admission fee. Cannot justify the cost for two people to get in, AND, we still wouldn't be able to get any lives stock home.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:46 AM

MKLKT is on a distinguished road

I would have like to have gone but with the new-ish requirement to have an enhanced DL or passport I can't go to the States. Lame about the livestock restrictions too.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Vendor

BlueWorldAquatic is on a distinguished road

It is unfortunate to hear about the SeaMax not Continue the next year.

I don't think the issue is because of it happening "off season", if anything the people attending or wanting to attend would have been there regardless of time of the year.

It sounds like it was a lack of promotion or advertising, something that plagues most rookie shows.

The concept is valid, having a venue close to the border is good. Just seems that someone within the organization should have looked into export of non CITES items. As you did need the USFW permit To export, I was wondering how it would be issued on a weekend as the government offices would be closed.

I know I considered this as I was thinking of attending the SeaMax, but would have loved to bring samples and livestock back also.

Ken - BWA

Store Location

Twitter

Facebook
Old 07-30-2011, 02:51 PM

Well, funny thing is that the Gov'ts won't acknowledge the fact that calcareous corals CAN be successfully farmed and then fragmented into daughters. Sometimes these corals have been grown and passed on for years to the point that they are no longer recognizable as the parent.

They assume that the corals for sale are wild-caught. That's why they are so strict on those licenses. Mostly I think it is due to the general ignorance of the leaps that this hobby has advanced. None of this "coral fragging" was that common a few years back.

Heck, if I can grow my SPSs to the point that I can frag some off to sell, most hobbyist can, too, with a little more work and dedication.

They also had restrictions about the piece of LR or cement frag plugs the corals are attached to, too. Need to be about 3cm or less.

At the end of the show, most vendors were just giving their stuff away for next to nothing so that they didn't have to take it all back. The booth that had over 100+ fish took over 8 hours to set up: set up their tanks, warm up salt-water that was provided, ready the fish for acclimating. They had most of the fishes left. Shame because they had to drive over 10 hours to get to SEAMAX.

You can see why most vendors/attendees won't consider coming back for another show. It has nothing to do with the weather, as Seattle offers more than just the show in Summer. I bet most Canadians won't go because of the restrictions. I know that we won't. It is just too bad, as it could have the potential to grow into a much bigger event.