Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-27-2012, 06:16 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

If you decide to stick with it, a quarantine system might be something worth looking into. Seems like a lot of the problems were added to the tank. Quarantining would have caught most of that.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:25 PM

Matman is on a distinguished road

I had two colonies infected. I've been using zeovit flatwormstop for less than a month and it seems pretty good. One of the two colonies (a suharsonoi) is recovering fine and don't seem to have any AEFW on it anymore. The other one (a red hyacinthus) was more deeply affected by them and was still infested when I dip it yesterday. They suggest using it at least 3 months so I hope to save that colony, it's a fast grower usually. I think it should be good to prevent futher propagation from the result I got with the suharsonoi. I can add that it's also good for polyp extention and it didn't stimulate cyano bloom even at double or triple dose.

My tank is also running in low nutrient with daily dosing of nopox. I guess it might makes a difference since it's a zeovit product.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaangel View Post
This will be the last straw for me to shut down.... Ive had enough
First I had a tank break, then wiped out by ick, then wiped out by velvet, then I had a heater give out and kill off everything, then my landlord used ant spray by my tank which killed all my coral and caused a spike which resulted in massive hair algea and most other wiped out so I stared over again, then I stocked again and had a longnose butterfly wipeout 80% of my SPS, restocked then I developed bacterial problems, then red bugs, then AEFW and last night a power surge casue my lead heater to give out and my tank dropped to 74* and nothing is happy!!!!
Think thats enough to throw in the towel? All has happened in less then 2 yrs BTW
I feel bad for you, but I suppose I should point out the obvious: All of this, including the heater BS could have been avoided/fixed with proper planning and education.

Where did you get all your advice from?

Last edited by albert_dao; 04-05-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:08 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Well I just did a full evaluation on all my SPS. I found that more then 1/3 of my tank has the small bite marks of AEFW or eggs on the bottom of them which says that this has been going on for a while I just never figured it out and blamed the red bugs for the loss of color.
Wow Cory, looks like you need better dipping and/or quarantining protocol.

I had AEFW in my tank once on a colony I had just bought. It was in my tank for a couple weeks when I noticed it browning out and saw the bite marks. I was using Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure for dipping (which is supposed to eliminate AEFW btw) at that time. I solved the problem by throwing the coral in the garbage can. Luckily I haven't seen them since (touch wood). AEFW are seriously the worst thing (besides RTN) that can happen to an SPS tank.

I now use Coral Rx, Levamisole, and Interceptor dips on all incoming Acros. I also put them in quarantine for at least 2 weeks. They are generally quite brown after all that. I don't mind, color comes back. Btw, no treatment exists that kills AEFW eggs, so quarantine is really the best protocol.

Have you seen this article? The Levamisole dip described is the one I use. Things that Suck: Acropora Eating Flatworms

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:09 AM

rastaangel is on a distinguished road

So I just treated with levasol...
AND THERE ALL DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!
All of my fish are having a huge flatworm meal, except my sleeper goby he seems to like to eat the mini brittles that arnt doin to well
I will be using this treatment every week for 4 months to make sure there all dead as well as weekly inspecting for eggs
Old 04-06-2012, 01:38 PM

Matman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So I just treated with levasol...
AND THERE ALL DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!
All of my fish are having a huge flatworm meal, except my sleeper goby he seems to like to eat the mini brittles that arnt doin to well
I will be using this treatment every week for 4 months to make sure there all dead as well as weekly inspecting for eggs
Where can you get Levamisol? I would consider it if it would get worst.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

There are lots of threads on RC about Levamisol, apparently it's not a permanent solution.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2027706

Last edited by Aquattro; 04-06-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:15 PM

I think the problem with Levamisole, and any other treatment known, is simply that it won't kill the eggs. Eggs are produced and hatched quite quickly, so it is easy for AEFW to repopulate. Corey might have a decent battle plan, although I think 4 months is rather excessive. I would be worried about the amount of Levamisole going into the full system, but AEFW is so persistent and difficult to deal with that maybe it is the best plan there is.

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
maybe it is the best plan there is.
Well, I certainly don't have any other plans If I ever got these things, I'd be screwed. Everything is encrusted to rock, so dipping is out. Biggest reason out there to dip and inspect every frag you buy.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:54 PM

You can buy bendable extension arms for drills that you can put a bag on and put them in the tank. Attach a small diamond blade (like a Dremel blade) to the extension and you can cut the corals off the rocks. You can also buy small coping saws and keyhole saws with fine blades on them which you can use to hand cut. There is never no way!

SPS fanatic.