Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-16-2013, 03:41 AM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
Yes, that is true for most butterfly fish, but these are Pearlscales, and none of them have bothered my corals.

Clams also?
Old 12-16-2013, 03:46 AM

ocean diver is on a distinguished road

I have tried the filefish....eat my acans and zoas and NO aiptasia, sold him. Tried a couple peppermint shrimp...never seen them since putting them in...no change to aiptasia. Tried injecting with vinegar...seem to have more now!! So still looking for a solution..............
Old 12-16-2013, 04:28 AM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Clams also?
Never had any clams, so can't speak to that. And I should also mention that I just didn't plunk the Pearlscales directly into my display tank, and say have at it...

I always put new fish through QT with the hypo routine, which can take up to 3 months. During that time, I trained the Pearlscales onto first frozen mysis, then dried foods incl various freeze dried, pellets, and even flake. But also, I put in a rock with some aiptasia on it, first to see if they would go for it. They did, and when one figured it out, the others would join in. So I kept doing that, giving them an aiptasia rock every once in a while, and in the mean time fattening them up on dried food, with the occasional frozen mysis treat (can't give them too much of that or they won't eat the dry stuff).

Then I added them to the display tank, where they first had to deal with my bully yellow tang. But they are pretty quick, and he could never corner one, and eventually gave up. But they immediately recognized the aiptasia, and didn't hesitate to rip them out of their holes. And since they were used to the dried foods, took to that right away in the display tank as well.

But they never went after my corals. Initially I only had LPS (frogspawn, bubble coral, etc) and softies (mushrooms, leathers, etc). Later I added SPS frags, and I was a little nervous at first, because they really looked over a new frag initially, and would sometimes nip off the slime filaments. But they never went after the polyps. I have softies, LPS and lots of SPS in my tank now, and they don't bother any of them. But the good news, is they continue to keep my tanks free of aiptasia (for 3 years now).

I would not be surprised if they left clams alone as well. I really think what made it work for me, was first training them on other foods and aiptasia in the QT tank. I may not have been so lucky, if they went straight into the display tank.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:30 AM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

I had 2 peppermint shrimp. They didn't touch my aptasia but sure ate a lot of my acans. I know most people don't seem to have luck with aptasia x but it works for me every time.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:49 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Never had any clams, so can't speak to that. And I should also mention that I just didn't plunk the Pearlscales directly into my display tank, and say have at it...

I always put new fish through QT with the hypo routine, which can take up to 3 months.
don't think most would have that commitment to train a fish labelled "not reef safe" when there's other methods of aptasia control. Know I don't.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
don't think most would have that commitment to train a fish labelled "not reef safe" when there's other methods of aptasia control. Know I don't.
People will believe what they want on the internet and are free to make their own choices. I am just offering my direct experience with these fish, because I know they are not well known. I found out about them after my own research on the internet and other people's experiences as well.

I am also a strong believer in the hypo QT routine, and if people are not willing to make that commitment, then they should not buy these fish (or any other for that matter).

I will say, though, that I have had a total of 5 Pearlscales over time, and all of them were the same, so it was not a one-off. I have also tried many of the other popular control methods, and this is the only one that worked long term for me. Plus I have a couple of peaceful, beautiful fish additions to my tanks.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:17 PM

hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
People will believe what they want on the internet and are free to make their own choices. I am just offering my direct experience with these fish, because I know they are not well known. I found out about them after my own research on the internet and other people's experiences as well.

I am also a strong believer in the hypo QT routine, and if people are not willing to make that commitment, then they should not buy these fish (or any other for that matter).

I will say, though, that I have had a total of 5 Pearlscales over time, and all of them were the same, so it was not a one-off. I have also tried many of the other popular control methods, and this is the only one that worked long term for me. Plus I have a couple of peaceful, beautiful fish additions to my tanks.
I don't think mark was taking a shot at you. He was saying your dedication to training these fish is a method he wouldn't have the time or patience for. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
I don't think mark was taking a shot at you. He was saying your dedication to training these fish is a method he wouldn't have the time or patience for. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
Sorry if I am seeming a little sensitive to that. But I guess I see too much of that on these forums. People love to peddle popular opinions on these threads, some of which are downright bad advice, and don't offer any direct experience of their own with appropriate explanations.

I can sit back and not say anything, and watch people struggle with bio pellets, cyano, aiptasia, phosphates, ich, SPS, etc, or I can try to help. Sometimes I do wonder if it is worth the effort...
Old 12-16-2013, 03:10 PM

pinkreef is on a distinguished road

i have file fish in my tank and no aptasia downside they eat skirts of palys and zoes. Of course if you remove the fish the aptasia comes back
Old 12-16-2013, 03:12 PM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

ive tried stabbing aiptasia with needles before... never worked. So now I just superglue over them.