Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-26-2015, 10:15 AM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default sand

how live can a bag of sand be that has been sitting on a shelf for a couple of months?i just rinse my old sand and reuse it-and i have a deep sand bed(between 4-7 inches)
Old 04-26-2015, 04:54 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocus View Post
how live can a bag of sand be that has been sitting on a shelf for a couple of months?i just rinse my old sand and reuse it-and i have a deep sand bed(between 4-7 inches)
Ya Bill that's kinda what I was thinking as well, I think I'm just going to use some of the sand out of the 90 g. I'm using about 50 lbs of live rock from my 90 g and put the sand in last all around the rocks approx. 1/2- 1" deep I'll just do a bit of a rinse with some old tank water before it goes in. I'm hoping to give the new tank a few days and then transfer the livestock. thoughts anyone.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:15 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

If you're adding 50 pounds of currently active rock, you can do whatever you like. New sand, washed old sand, rinsed in tank water old sand, or no sand. Add rock, add water, add livestock. 50# is enough to provide filtration for your tank.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:22 PM

hfp75 is on a distinguished road
Default Sandbed...

Ive always reused the sandbed. I rinse it out in the yard with a garden hose......

It's like new when I'm done.... 1/2'ish full salt bucket (with sand) garden hose in & turn on. Arm goes in and start stirring. When it's virtually free of detritus into the tank it goes. Then seed it with 1-2 cups of unwashed sand or live rock that was in the sand... The critters are on the live rock as well....