Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Freshwater

Old 06-19-2009, 06:59 PM

Fox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
I tried it last night with no success. I think the holes may have been too small so I'm going to make bigger holes and try it again tonight. I'll keep you posted.
Hehe I had the same problem at first...It also has taken about 2 weeks to catch them all...give it time..."If you build it, they will come!" :P

Old 06-19-2009, 11:23 PM

sharuq1 is on a distinguished road

To answer your earlier question, loaches from the botia genus can often be found at the local petland, usually they are in the tank bank that is on the same wall as the door to the reptile section.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:00 AM

Bugsy is on a distinguished road

I am battling the same problem. The clown loaches don't seem to eat all kinds like mentioned but i have a yo-yo loach and he is going to town on these things. I don't plan on keeping him forever as I have Discus but for now he is doing the job and will keep him to make sure they are all gone.

I do not recommend any products you add to kill snails. I did this many years ago and it wiped out everything in my tank. They are very harsh chemicals so don't use them.

Lettuce core sunk in the tank will attract many of them and simply remove it and throw it away the next morning. You would be amazed how many you can get this way.

If you can remove most manually then get a yo-yo loach you should have it all done but don't get rid of the loach right away if you don't want it as there will be hidden eggs that have not hatched that will and then it starts all over again.

Also I even tried the Asassin Snail, they eat other snails and it did not work so skip them as they are not cheap either.

Good Luck
Old 06-29-2009, 02:45 PM

lt1fj40 is on a distinguished road

You can also drop in a slice of cucumber before bed and remove it in the morning that works really well.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:23 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

i would never reccomend a clown loach to anyone as they can get over 12"(plus they will eat all your plants at the root.). yoyos are great for this. i also have 2 khuli loaches not too sure if they eat snails but do a great job gedtting food in SMALL places.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:12 PM

Malibu is on a distinguished road

Hmmm... well so far I've been having luck with my 2 clowns, as I have not seen any ill-effects toward my few plants I have in that tank. Then again, I only have 2 onions, some other tall grassy plants that the snails liked to eat, and an anubis in a "planter". I did pick up a pakistani after all as the trap idea hasn't worked.

The biggest issue I have regarding my plants is my large common pleco knocks them over or "digs" them up lol... he's like a vacuum... He doesn't eat them, though, because I made sure to only get broad-leafed plants that plecos don't generally like...

Last edited by Malibu; 06-29-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:25 PM

eugene is on a distinguished road
Smile snail trouble huh.

i have heard a couple of ways to get rid of them. a piece of leaf lettuce at the bottom of the tank and when they congrigate pull it out and throw away. i have also heard that they are attracted to white porcalin dishes (this one im not sure about. understand that they will also breed in your filter so a good scrub in it may not hurt.just be careful not to take to much bacteria out with the scrub.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:22 PM

365seasons is on a distinguished road

conditioning salt will typically kill snails,
and is good for your fish.

Saltwater 55gallon column seahorse tank

saltwater 65G mixed tank w/ 30G sump
Old 07-03-2009, 06:53 PM

Ephraim is on a distinguished road

There's a type of snail that has been coming into stores in the last 6 months that does well with this problem, called an Assasin Snail. Latin name is Clea Helena. Does a good job and is a nice looking snail too.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:11 PM

Malibu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 365seasons View Post
conditioning salt will typically kill snails,
and is good for your fish.
Well, I know that a bit of salt is good for some fish, but the amount I would have to use to get rid of these snails, I think I would risk pickling my fish!