Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-01-2008, 02:53 PM

KrazyKuch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to KrazyKuch
Default Sequence Bearings

Okay so I got a replacement seal from sequence for my snapper pump that was leaking out the shaft, the only problem being is the didn't send any sealing grease, and no this morning I have awaken to a tank not running cause the pump has overheated.

So I need to replace this seal now but have no idea where to get this sealing grease locally, anybody have a clue where to get some or does anyone have any kicking around??

Kevin
Old 03-01-2008, 03:20 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

My Dart was making noise and just replaced the seal (ends up was the motor bearing not the seal causing noise) but no grease is required.

If anything they state, don't touch the seal, just wet the surfaces with water and not use silicone lubricants or grease.

The portion of the seal that inserts into the pump casing that where you use the sealant. I just used some GE Silicone type I, being careful not to get on the face.

Check their troubleshooting page on their web-site, they mentioned something like can tighten up if sitting and to try to rotate using a screw driver on the end of the motor shaft to free things up.

Last edited by mark; 03-01-2008 at 03:26 PM. Reason: added troubleshooting comment
Old 03-01-2008, 04:20 PM

But in step 2 the say this

Apply sealant to the bracket bore ID wall and around the seal case using Gasgacinch or a non-hardening Silicon material. Never use petroleum based materials

so is that were you are saying to use silicone??

Kevin
Old 03-01-2008, 05:02 PM

Exactly.

You put silicone on the pump bracket and the sides of the seal, then push it.

You don't put silicone on the face of the seal you push into the bracket or the face of the part that inserts into the impeller. Once the impeller is threaded on the shaft, pressure from the spring pushing the two faces together create the seal.

The GE silicone is used rather than the Gasgacinch product.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:19 PM

OKay thanks....although I have found a problem for why the pump stopped working once I took it apart and it apears that the motor itself has ceased, it's hard to turn the shaft by hand so now I have to figure out how to replace the bearing on the motor or regrease it somehow!!!

Kevin
Old 03-01-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKuch View Post
OKay thanks....although I have found a problem for why the pump stopped working once I took it apart and it apears that the motor itself has ceased, it's hard to turn the shaft by hand so now I have to figure out how to replace the bearing on the motor or regrease it somehow!!!
I wouldn't regrease the bearings but get replacements.

Similar problem with mine. Was getting slight weeping past the seal so when the pump started making noise, assumed the seal. Contacted Reeflo they agreed and sent the seals out for free. I installed the new seals assembled everything back together but never actually rotated the motor without the pump attached. When I reinstalled the pump back in the display, the noise was still there. As the slinger was centered thinking the motor, removed the fan noise still there and eventually removed the pump to isolate. Contacted Reeflo again and they sent out a pump (again free) problem is the replacement was a rebuilt and appears the motor wasn't and is toast as well on the replacement.

I'm lucky as fellow reefer lent me his spare Dart (just using the motor) and patiently waiting for the second replacement from Reeflo.

Comment on Reeflo, my Dart has run trouble free for 2 years 24/7. Reeflo is warrantying pump thought not purchased direct and basically no questions asked. Hindsight, if I have a problem again after all this, I'll be plugging the motor in without the pump attached before taking further.

Last edited by mark; 03-01-2008 at 06:12 PM.