Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-03-2013, 03:14 AM

Bjlaustsen is on a distinguished road
Default Help my BTA is dying

Im worried about my BTA, i have had him for a while, and a few months ago decided to upgrade to a larger tank 95 Gal. Bout a new light for it Fluval Sea m48 led light. Was told that was more than capable to keep him. At the start of the larger tank, he had looked fine and was eating well. I feed him cooked shrimp and scallops and he picks up brine and misis when i feed the rest of the tank. He has circled the rock he is on a few times now and cant seem to find a nice spot. but while moving around he has been so shriveled up that i cant feed him by hand and wont take anything. He probably hasnt eaten in a month. His color hasnt changed at all, all my corals are doing great in the tank as well as all the fish. The temp is 25C no amonia, very small amount of nitrate, PH 8.1, Phosphate is 0, the water quality is great. Im lost!
Old 08-04-2013, 02:09 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

My guess would be lack of light. I didn't find a lot of info on Fluval m48 in a search, but a for sale listing showed the specs & if you only have one of these over a 90 gallon, I'm pretty sure it's insufficient. From the info I got online it's only a 46 watt fixture. The photos look like the LEDs are low power SMD 5050 strip lights which might be fine for a FOWLR or tank with soft/low light coral, but won't cut it long term with anything else. Maybe if you had about 4 of these over the tank, very close to the water surface, the BTA would settle down.

What size was your previous tank & what type/power of lighting did you have over it?
Old 08-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

And to add, I wouldn't feed cooked food to it, they typically eat raw in the wild.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:09 AM

It says its a 25k light and a 46 watt full spectrum. If that light isnt enough what would a guy need to upgrade to?
Old 08-05-2013, 03:11 AM

unfortunatly the guy at the store told me my BTA would be just fine under this light.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:26 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjlaustsen View Post
unfortunatly the guy at the store told me my BTA would be just fine under this light.
Not trying to offend those that work at LFS. But depending on the store and it's rep I don't listen to the advice they give.
I've had my anemone I dunno maybe 12yrs or so. I've never once fed it. You don't need to feed them. Just my experience to each their own.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:45 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Well there could be other factors at play. When I started my 77 gal all I had was a Hagen GLO 36 inch T5HO fixture over it with a blue tube & a 10000K white tube. I had no coral, but a few months in I added a BTA. It survived under that light, but that was about it. I gradually upped the lighting to 48 inch T5HO & 2x250 watt Metal Halides. Then came my DIY LED fixture which consists of 27 ten watt multi-cip LEDs. That's potentially 270 watts, but I run the LEDs on a lower setting than max. Nevertheless, my BTAs are now taking over the tank & they've never looked better. The original split a number of times before I got the LEDs and the two I have remaining in the tank are huge & healthy. I hardly feed them anything anymore whereas a few years ago I was feeding small chunks of silversides about once a week. 46 watts is pretty feeble over a 90 gallon tank, whether it be LEDs, T5s or whatever. I don't think they even make a Metal Halide that small. So yeah, the LFS dude was not giving you the best advice in that regard. The LEDs on your fixture are numerous, but very small (low power) and will not penetrate the water very well. Get them as close to the surface as feasible & keep an eye on the nem while you contemplate your next move. It's probably not dying quite yet since it still has colour, but regardless of what else may be causing it problems, more light will definitely help. BTAs are one of the more forgiving nems out there.

Last edited by mike31154; 08-05-2013 at 03:52 AM.

Tags
anemone, dying