Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 04-03-2015, 07:48 PM

htfn is on a distinguished road
Default Maxspect Gyre FX150 review

Please share your opinion if anyone have FX150. I have 120gal reef tank (48x24x24) and thinking to get two mp40s or one gyre FX150.
Thanks
Hiro
Old 04-03-2015, 11:50 PM

badAZZlars is on a distinguished road
Default Maxspect Gyre FX150 review

I've got a 6 foot 125 and a single unit works fine for me. And I only run it at 40%. Mixed reef. The full width flow works great and I'm happy with it. I've had mp40's in the past and think this unit is great.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badAZZlars View Post
I've got a 6 foot 125 and a single unit works fine for me. And I only run it at 40%. Mixed reef. The full width flow works great and I'm happy with it. I've had mp40's in the past and think this unit is great.
Thanks
I really wanna try Gyre FX150 but I don't wanna regret my purchase. I know that single Gyre can do all I need in my tank instead of two side by side any powerheads. however I've read a several negative reviews.
And I also like VorTech. I own MP10wes and love it.
I would love to hear more your opinions.
Thanks everyone
Hiro
Old 04-04-2015, 09:07 AM

badAZZlars is on a distinguished road

Having both I'm not sure I can say one is better than the other. Both are great products. All I can say is one gyre is a lot cheaper than two mp40's.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:27 PM

Coral Hoarder is on a distinguished road

I have had a wp25 and rw8s just replaced them with and xf 130 and couldn't be happier with it
Old 04-04-2015, 06:05 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfn View Post
Please share your opinion if anyone have FX150. I have 120gal reef tank (48x24x24) and thinking to get two mp40s or one gyre FX150.
Thanks
Hiro
I don't think you need the FX150. I think the FX130 would provide plenty of flow for you. They are very powerful.

As with any other form of flow, I think you will probably still need a single powerhead behind the rocks helping out a bit. You can turn the Gyre up real high to get ALL the dead spots but then there seems to be areas of too strong flow and areas of too little flow. So in my experience with the Gyres, you still need supplemental flow.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 04-04-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:16 PM

Roskoreef is on a distinguished road

I have 2 fx150's on my 8 ft and I only use them at 20% max, I would have went with one if I knew the power of them...
Old 04-04-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I don't think you need the FX150. I think the FX130 would provide plenty of flow for you. They are very powerful.

As with any other form of flow, I think you will probably still need a single powerhead behind the rocks helping out a bit. You can turn the Gyre up real high to get ALL the dead spots but then there seems to be areas of too strong flow and areas of too little flow. So in my experience with the Gyres, you still need supplemental flow.
A main reason why I choose FX150 is
FX130 recommend 25 - 100 tank size
Controllable speed
Some review says running more than 50% might be noisy
My most of SPS is still small frag size and when they grow I still have a pretty
Power to play with
For the supplemental flow I have a jebao DC Pump 12000 as return and only use a half power, so if I need it then I can crank up higher and I'll use MP10 from back to front.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:57 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

I have 2 FX150 in my 240G they work far better than the 4 MP40s I once had and better than the 5 Tunzes I had in this same tank.

I ran only one of the Gyres for a month or so while one of them was defective and it worked well.

A client of mine also runs 2 Gyres in a 350G.

I run both of mine at 100% and it is not too powerful and does a great job at getting every spot of the tank. I switch the settings up on them daily and dot run both of them in the same setting at once. Good random flow.

You will not need supplemental flow. As you can see i've tried pretty much all powerheads and I find the Gyres to perform the best. Build quality could be a little better but I have'nt had any issues other than one arriving defective.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:22 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfn
Some review says running more than 50% might be noisy
Yeah, that's a good reason. I haven't noticed them to be too noisy though - well, not in comparison to VorTechs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
I run both of mine at 100% and it is not too powerful and does a great job at getting every spot of the tank. I switch the settings up on them daily and dot run both of them in the same setting at once. Good random flow.
I don't know how you do that. My client has two FX150 in his 10 foot tank running at 50% and if I turn them up any higher his LPS will be ripped off their skeletons. His SPS are up high where the gyres have stronger flow. I use a couple Tunze 6105 to help even out the flow through the tank. I imagine it has a lot to do with rock formations too though. I haven't messed around with the settings a whole lot though - they are just ramping up and down (slow pulse).

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 04-04-2015 at 09:27 PM.