Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 02-04-2008, 07:32 PM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road
Default Suggestions please

Here is my situation. I have my 90g up and running. It currently has the following fish in it. A 3" Purple Tang{Thanks Chin} and a 2" G/S Maroon Clown.
There is an anenome that the Clown likes to frequent. Thats all so far. So I have been trying to figure out some tankmates for them. I was looking at a Niger Trigger, a Dwarf Fuzzy Lionfish, {maybe the lion would be too large right now for the clownfish} or maybe a Hawkfish of some variety. I dont have a maintanence crew as yet either..Snails?? Urchins?? So what I am trying to figure out is this. What would be a nice selection of fish to put in as well as a maintenance crew..

ps: If anybody is selling any of these items, please let me know..

Last edited by dsaundry; 02-06-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:35 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Beautiful clown! This is the Purple Tang that was tormenting all his other fish, right? Does the clown hold its own?

I've always thought an anemone/aggressive fish only tank would be amazing. In fact...it's got me to thinking....

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 02-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Hawkfish & triggers tend to chow down on cleanup crews. I use conches and a sandsifting star as my cleanup crew in the fowlr. Lions will eat anything they can stretch their mouths out to fit inside.

Yeah, I know, I'm just a bundle of good news eh

A longnose hawk is usually pretty good though.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

How big's the maroon. They grow fairly good size & are aggressive so a fuzzy dwarf may leave it alone if its too big to inhale.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:42 PM

WuHT is on a distinguished road

I'd just say that you should try to get your invert clean up crew in there asap... just to eliminate the possibility of them being lunch when introduced after your desired fishs have been established (i'd suggest losing the hawkfish, as inverts can be more fun..and you already have 2 fish with very deep colour (purple and red). You might have to sacrifice some fish choices if u want a clean up crew.
----
I've pesonally kept cleaner shrimp, a large hermit, a green bristlestar, and 2 turbosnails, so i can only speak for them :they are hardy as heck!

I'd say get some snails and at least a cleaner shrimp in there <-- most cleaner shrimp you can purchase now are very small .. and mine has grown to an inch and a half in a month, (no longer snack size). After that, you can start getting some of your desired fishes(or w/e your purp allows to live)

Last edited by WuHT; 02-04-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

For a clean up crew that's a fish why not put a rabbit fish in there, they're great for eating algae and add lots of personality to a tank.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 02-04-2008, 07:46 PM

Default Re Suggestions

The clown has no problem with the tang so far..in fact the tang is a bit wary of him. They are both nice fish ..will try to post pics of the tang if I can train him to sit still for a second..Clown is about 2 inches and from the dwarfs I have seen so far that might make him dinner. Maybe in a year or two when he's about 4" he would be safe.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:52 PM

Default Rabbit fish

Yeah I was thinking of a Rabbitfish. I have a Foxface in my 72g reef, if I could catch him ...might be tough though..
Old 02-04-2008, 07:55 PM

Default clean up

As for shrimp I would like to put them in but I was told that the Trigger and the Hawkfish would make meals out of them.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:41 PM

saltwatermaniac is on a distinguished road

From what I was told you can get away with the niger trigger and the cleaner shrimp if the cleaner shrimp is in the tank first and of a good size.

Just what I have read and been told no exp