Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-16-2014, 08:01 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road
Default Recycling SPS?

Is there any merit to crushing up old dead SPS and adding it back to the sand? I am thinking of maybe recovering some Ca, alk, Mg, and whatever else the coral took out of the water. Of course, there might also be some P04 which might not be so good.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:04 PM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

I know people use crushed coral that have died in their tank in their calcium reactors. Not sure if it would have much benefit just crushing and adding to sand or not. Either way I can't see it hurting anything.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:38 PM

lemon604 is on a distinguished road

Yes, that's how white sand beaches are formed. Crushed corals.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:17 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Some of the sand beaches are created from parrot fish grazing on sps corals and pooping over millenia.... Don't know how much of that is true but saw it on oasis lol.

Walter I think crushing up sps to make crush coral seems like a lot of time wasted. Reusing dead sps in a ca reactor seems like a better idea, I have done it before and don't see any harm in doing so....

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 12-16-2014, 10:52 PM

Yes, I know how sand gets made in the ocean, but it is also huge, and certainly no danger of an overdose of P04. But in our small enclosed aquarium eco systems, that may not be the case. So just wondering if anyone has actually done that (adding to the sand, not a Ca reactor) with no ill effects. I think it should be OK, as everyone so far has intimated, but just asking...

And, haha, agree not the best use of my time, but could say that about a lot of my reefing activities...
Old 12-16-2014, 10:52 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
Some of the sand beaches are created from parrot fish grazing on sps corals and pooping over millenia.... Don't know how much of that is true but saw it on oasis lol.

Walter I think crushing up sps to make crush coral seems like a lot of time wasted. Reusing dead sps in a ca reactor seems like a better idea, I have done it before and don't see any harm in doing so....
It's true, my parrot fish does that all the time. Well, he did up to the point where I sold him.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:03 AM

crimper is on a distinguished road

I used to put crushed corals on my HOB as a filter media on my decommissioned 20G nano, I noticed that the crushed corals depletes as times goes by. I think that they react with the trapped CO2 in foam media and also CO2 from the water itself releasing Ca and Alk back in the water.

I didn't noticed PO4 spike. Maybe it's worth doing some experiments with that Walter

Last edited by crimper; 12-17-2014 at 12:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-17-2014, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimper View Post
I used to put crushed corals on my HOB as a filter media on my decommissioned 20G nano, I noticed that the crushed corals depletes as times goes by. I think that they react with the trapped CO2 in foam media and also CO2 from the water itself releasing Ca and Alk back in the water.

I didn't noticed PO4 spike. Maybe it's worth doing some experiments with that Walter
Hmmm, I do have a foam in my prefilter canister in my DIY carbon/GFO reactor. Maybe I could stuff the crushed coral in the foam and see what happens.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:52 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

All things being equal I always thought it was clam shells and in particular snail shells that were particularly dirty with PO4 and not ideal for recycling in a calcium reactor. Otherwise though, most aragonite reactor media is just crushed coral, but generally of a more uniform granularity. Basically if you have a means of combating PO4 buildup anyhow (gfo), you're good to go, IMHO.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:07 AM

Duncans n' Dendros is on a distinguished road

I just toss it in the sump and becomes LR.